Strange fiber router performance problem

Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:14    Post subject: Strange fiber router performance problem Reply with quote
Hi, I have FTTH fiber with a Netgear R7800. Doing the ookla test with the direct connection, to the router of the provider, I get values close to 1000/200 while if I connect from behind to the router the performance drops drastically to 95/22. What's even stranger is that I could try the router on an FTTC fiber and the performance, both with direct connection and behind the router, comes to about 135/20. In the case of connection behind the router 7800 better than in pure optical fiber. I do not understand why this big difference in performance with normal fiber (and such low performance), while with copper fiber the performance is similar to the router supplied. I also tried with a Netgear R7000 same results. Tips Question
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your description of "if i plug my PC to the ISP ...i get better speed", is a cliche...and tells us a story that means you don't know much about routers, NAT's and how those operate...first you have to do some research and reading to gain the basics...so, many thread/youtube videos on the subject...
as well you have to provide lot more details on your set up and be more specific...about what is connected to what...

-is router of the provider, actually is modem...
-is it running PPPoE interface..pppoe takes toll on WAN performance...
-is ISP modem/router in bridge mode or it runs a NAT, in this case with R7800 you have a double NAT but this must not be an issue...

-R7800 must be capable of 900Mbit +
-what other services are you running on R7800, VPN and QoS can be a big toll on WAN performance...
-how do you measure the speed WIFI or wire only...? (both can yield different results)

to me it seems like settings/set up problem...could be a RJ-45 cable too...

Your best bet is, ISP modem/router in bridge mode(no NAT) and R7800 to be the main Gateway/NAT router...
or use R7800 as a switch/WAP and disable NAT/DHCP on it...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setup screenshots of all applicable parts should be enough, a picture speaks 1000 words, no one wants to read 1000 words either.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:49    Post subject: Re: Strange fiber router performance problem Reply with quote
Frakko wrote:
Hi, I have FTTH fiber with a Netgear R7800. Doing the ookla test with the direct connection, to the router of the provider, I get values close to 1000/200 while if I connect from behind to the router the performance drops drastically to 95/22. What's even stranger is that I could try the router on an FTTC fiber and the performance, both with direct connection and behind the router, comes to about 135/20.

So what you are saying is this. You connect to the ISP supplied gateway/router combo via ethernet and you get 1000mega waffles a second.

If you connect wirelessly to the R7800 which is connected to one of the lan ports on the supplied fiber router, you get speeds of 95/22

and finally if you connect an ethernet cable that goes from computer to r7800 to supplied fiber gateway/router combo, you get 132/20

Frakko wrote:
In the case of connection behind the router 7800 better than in pure optical fiber. I do not understand why this big difference in performance with normal fiber (and such low performance), while with copper fiber the performance is similar to the router supplied. I also tried with a Netgear R7000 same results. Tips Question

Gonna do my best here...so your wondering why the r7800 does better on its own on, probably, a coax cable internet connection?

So here is what would try doing.

Your gateway/router fiber router has a NAT. the R7800 also has a NAT. Your internet is going through two NATs.

on the R7800, go to Setup > Basic Setup > and set wan connection type to disabled.

If your fiber router/modem combo has a lan IP of something like 192.168.1.x then set the R7800 to 192.168.1.255 or whatever other address is not in use on the network. I have faith you know how to figure that out.

Report back your findings...

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, I proceeded to replace the cable and the performance has improved. Now the problem is download.

https://ibb.co/RYZgX62 by old cable
https://ibb.co/HCkjvpy by new cable
https://ibb.co/TYQT3Dc direct connect by router

I will do more tests as soon as possible.
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reset the router configuration and the performance is equal to the direct connection. Do you recommend a more efficient router with a not exaggerated cost to have maximum performance with maximum configuration, including vpn possibly Question
Thank you Exclamation
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
VPN is CPU bound. Consumer routers range 60 to 150 Mbps depending on model, VPN config, encryption etc.

Running an OpenVPN or WireGuard client directly on PC is not an option? The solution upgrade router to x86.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: