DIR -615 - WIFI password not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Definitely sounds like a bootloop. Hard power cycle didn't do anything? If not, the best thing to try is rolling back one release at a time from the 26 June build until you find one that boots all the way up. That way, the developer can be contacted and will know where to look. Going by ticket 6883, it may be as far back as 06-02-2022-r49049 to find a good build. Serial logs would be ideal to have information to pinpoint the problem, though.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to make sure you didnt flash the wrong 615 firmware there are 5 revisions of this router, your OP post says dir615i1 http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/06-29-2022-r49392/dlink-dir615i1/

So those files are quite different once you are running DD-WRT you need dir615i1-firmware.bin over web interface or via terminal with write fwname.bin linux or if you want to recover it you can use the dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin,.

Never use the dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin to upgrade via web interface after youre on dd-wrt.

I have pinged the dev just in case this isn't a user error.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since flashing that file via DD-WRT webUI failed already, I suggested Emergency Room flashing the factory-to-ddwrt file, which is a known workaround on several D-Link devices. Only other way to check is to flash via command line over telnet/ssh per this example:
Code:
cd /tmp
wget http:download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/06-02-2022-r49049/dlink-dir615i1/dir615i1-firmware.bin
write dir615i1-firmware.bin linux
(wait for write/erase to finish)
reboot

The size differences in files leads me to believe the firmware.bin file is bunked:
Code:
dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin             02-Jun-2022 04:19             3801088
dir615i1-firmware.bin                              02-Jun-2022 04:19             3276828

Code:
dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin             29-Jun-2022 03:06             3801088
dir615i1-firmware.bin                              29-Jun-2022 03:06             3280924

On the current relase, that's 520164 bytes. Given that it has u-boot, LANG, and ART partitions (in stock flash layout), that could explain the file size difference, but I don't recall seeing such a large difference between files for other devices.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/D-Link_DIR-615_rev_I1

Stock flash layout:
Quote:
cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00010000 00010000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 00010000 00010000 "nvram"
mtd2: 003a0000 00010000 "linux4"
mtd3: 002b0000 00010000 "rootfs"
mtd4: 00030000 00010000 "LANG"
mtd5: 00010000 00010000 "ART"

I'm not reading through nearly 50 pages of mostly "I need to post to see a link" (which is incorrect, I was able to see attachments right away - all that nonsense should be removed from the thread) to see if the DD-WRT flash layout is different, but a cat /proc/mtd on the working build initially flashed will reveal the layout in DD-WRT:

DIR-615 version i1 get it running

Maybe there have been many bad firmware images for this device without any oversight due to lack of reports?

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@brainslayer tested latest FW on this exact model and no issue found with FW.

Just to let you know, only help here is to provide a serial log detailing this error.

Or door nr 2 Solve this via TFTP recovery

Also note this device has no kernel log output to keep things small enough, so a complete serial log pls.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
-snip-
Just to let you know, only help here is to provide a serial log detailing this error.
-snip-
Also note this device has no kernel log output to keep things small enough, so a complete serial log pls.

Agreed.
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Serial logs would be ideal to have information to pinpoint the problem, though.

the-joker wrote:
-snip-
Or door nr 2 Solve this via TFTP recovery
-snip-

There is only one recovery mode on this device that I am aware of, and that is D-Link Emergency Room. Some folks advise against Firefox, but if you use an antique version of FF portable, it is known to be successful. There is this thread about a DIR-615 E* version that recommends command line upgrading, but from the known good build, Pale Moon portable or previously used FF portable should work for upgrades from DD-WRT to DD-WRT just fine. Chromium browsers have been known to be problematic on these in general. Maybe a hard reset from stock after initial flash of DD-WRT and prior to upgrade might be a missed step that is resulting in this issue?

aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info

- how do I get the serial log?
- Yes I did not do hard reset after initial instal of ddwrt 2020 fw. I just used portable firefox and went to recovery site and selected june 2022 ddwrt factory fw and it said it was successfully.
- when u say hard rest - it is that 30-30-30 rule? could u ple let me know how to hard reset?
- what is hard power cycle?

- I will try command line too. lets c if it works.

Last edited by aaragorn86 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 0:03; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hard reset on Atheros is via telnet or ssh in PuTTY or Terminal 'nvram erase && reboot'. It is always a good idea to do at least a normal reset via button or via DD-WRT webUI under Administration -> Factory Defaults after flashing from stock firmware to ensure no stale nvram variables exist. Usually Emergency Room flashing shouldn't necessitate this, but this is always a good added measure just to be sure.

aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Hard reset on Atheros is via telnet or ssh in PuTTY or Terminal 'nvram erase && reboot'. It is always a good idea to do at least a normal reset via button or via DD-WRT webUI under Administration -> Factory Defaults after flashing from stock firmware to ensure no stale nvram variables exist. Usually Emergency Room flashing shouldn't necessitate this, but this is always a good added measure just to be sure.

what hard reset via telnet or ssh in PuTTY or Terminal 'nvram erase && reboot'? I am assuming terminal is for linux users. I have windows 10. can I do it in CMD? I just tried 30-30-30 reset and installed latest version via ER but no use same results. how do I get the log?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
30-30-30 with reset button is not advisable on Atheros devices.

Yes, Terminal is Linux or MacOS. You have three options:

PuTTY can also be used for serial console access, so it's the best option out of the three. You will need a 3.3V level shifting USB to UART TTL serial adapter to connect to the serial console of the router mainboard to get the logs.

D-Link DIR-615 - former OpenWrt wiki system

D-Link DIR-615 - OpenWRT Wiki

aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
looks like logs cant be done.
what are the steps to hardreset using ssh?
aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reset the router with ssh client and following commands and installed July 4th fw but same result - stuck in boot loop. I dont have cables to get the serial logs to check further.

nvram erase && reboot

I will playround with other version to see something sticks.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: