Isolated VLAN setup not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
arunesh_dutta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 13:44    Post subject: Isolated VLAN setup not working Reply with quote
Hello all have configured VLAN4 on port4 that I wanted to completely isolate from VLAN3(port1,2,3) for the same I assigned bridge by name br1 to VLAN4 and br0 to VLAN3 and used the following command iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -o br+ -j DROP but still my VLAN4 network comfortably pings the VLAN3 network, kindly guide what could be the issue and is there some error in the syntax mentioned above. Just to mention running the latest firmware build r49392.Thanks

Last edited by arunesh_dutta on Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:03; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
last build is 49392
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

anyway... by default br0 contains vlan1 + wifi + wan (vlan 1 is switch (LAN ports) WAN is vlan2...

Best bet is to use swconfig commands via start up script..
Than assign to the new bridge, the new vlan you created, and give DHCPd to the bridge...that is the way how i set up my vlans, but each router is different...and GUI not always works as expected so, you rather stay away form it...

Sadly, your router doesn't have vlan support on the switch...as it has a dumb switch... those routers with 4MB flash size are for very basic use and don't have many functions and options, the next router in line, capable of vlan segmentation is TP-link wr1043ndv2 or v3 v4, also higher class like Netgear R6400v2, R7000 or even R7800...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just so you have some background info in case you didn't know what router, Alozaros (TL-WR841ND v11):

switch config option missing to create VLAN

Pretty sure that he followed the how-to's; VLANs should be isolated by default, no?

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Just so you have some background info in case you didn't know what router, Alozaros (TL-WR841ND v11):

Pretty sure that he followed the how-to's; VLANs should be isolated by default, no?

i saw it TL-WR841ND v11 as i was already logged in Razz yep 4MB flash size router wr8xx series...
even if you follow the guide in this thread
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=313472

im not sure it will work as older of those wr8xxx series routers don't have a vlan on the switch...but if anyone wants to head bang Embarassed Razz follow the guide for R7800 as the basics are there...and yes it needs reading and understanding...swconfig commands as well the router ports layout are important cue point in this endeavour... Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the devices that don't support vlans have RealTek switches (i.e. TL-WR1043ND v1.x); the only other devices I can think of that wouldn't support vlans are the TL-WA* wireless access points. I think even the older devices with Marvell switches support vlans (i.e. TL-WR841ND v3.x)?

https://openwrt-devel.openwrt.narkive.com/4eaF0ezP/fix-vlan-on-atheros-ar8327n

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
arunesh_dutta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:

Thanks for the guidance being a novice don't know u missed or not but u mentioned r43961 as latest in ur thread instead of 49392, I would be thankful if u could point anywhere mentioned on how to isolate VLANs if u have guided or kindly if know please do guide..thanks for ur guidance
arunesh_dutta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
last build is 49392
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

anyway... by default br0 contains vlan1 + wifi + wan (vlan 1 is switch (LAN ports) WAN is vlan2...

Best bet is to use swconfig commands via start up script..
Than assign to the new bridge, the new vlan you created, and give DHCPd to the bridge...that is the way how i set up my vlans, but each router is different...and GUI not always works as expected so, you rather stay away form it...

Sadly, your router doesn't have vlan support on the switch...as it has a dumb switch... those routers with 4MB flash size are for very basic use and don't have many functions and options, the next router in line, capable of vlan segmentation is TP-link wr1043ndv2 or v3 v4, also higher class like Netgear R6400v2, R7000 or even R7800...

thanks will give a try
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
arunesh_dutta wrote:
Thanks for the guidance being a novice don't know u missed or not but u mentioned r43961 as latest in ur thread instead of 49392,

49361 was the latest at the time of your other thread, 49392 was released since that thread.
arunesh_dutta wrote:
I would be thankful if u could point anywhere mentioned on how to isolate VLANs if u have guided or kindly if know please do guide..thanks for ur guidance

Please read what I posted in the other thread:
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Some further information to see if VLANs in general are supported, etc:

Issue this via telnet/ssh
Code:
cat /var/log/messages | grep vlan

DD-WRT configuration from telnet (TL-WR841NDv9)

TP Link WR841ND switch ports not working (Known Issue on many devices)

TP-Link wr841 v9 and v12 No traffic between LAN ports (Same issue as above)

Create VLan eth with Tp-Link 841 v 9

You should be able to use the R7800 vlans guide as a reference for configuring
your vlans, provided swconfig utility is included in your firmware image. What you may *not* be able to do is have VLAN / VLAN tagging functionality on the WAN port.

arunesh_dutta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
arunesh_dutta wrote:
Thanks for the guidance being a novice don't know u missed or not but u mentioned r43961 as latest in ur thread instead of 49392,

49361 was the latest at the time of your other thread, 49392 was released since that thread.
arunesh_dutta wrote:
I would be thankful if u could point anywhere mentioned on how to isolate VLANs if u have guided or kindly if know please do guide..thanks for ur guidance

Please read what I posted in the other thread:
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Some further information to see if VLANs in general are supported, etc:

Issue this via telnet/ssh
Code:
cat /var/log/messages | grep vlan

DD-WRT configuration from telnet (TL-WR841NDv9)

TP Link WR841ND switch ports not working (Known Issue on many devices)

TP-Link wr841 v9 and v12 No traffic between LAN ports (Same issue as above)

Create VLan eth with Tp-Link 841 v 9

You should be able to use the R7800 vlans guide as a reference for configuring
your vlans, provided swconfig utility is included in your firmware image. What you may *not* be able to do is have VLAN / VLAN tagging functionality on the WAN port.

Hello ,, thanks for the message.Sorry for late message was engaged in some part.Yes I checked the router supports VLAN ,have two VLAN's VLAN3(192.168.0.x) and VLAN4(192.168.107.x).I have further associated them with br0 and br1 bridge interfaces.As VLAN's they work fine and issue IP address as per the configuration.I wanted entire traffic of br1(VLAN4) to be blocked entering br0(VLAN3) and used iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -o br+ -j DROP but still the systems on br1 can ping systems on br0.My other needs were to block SSH and I used iptables -I INPUT -i br0 -p tcp --dport ssh -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset and it works fine ..kindly guide..thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: