R9000 5Ghz radio problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Logistics
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:29    Post subject: R9000 5Ghz radio problem. Reply with quote
I hope this is an appropriate place to post about this. I purchased an R9000 as a gamble since the previous owner said he goofed it up after a firmware upgrade. When I first fired it up it said the 5GHz was running, but none of the wireless appeared to broadcast. I downgraded to the oldest firmware available, which claimed to be the original OE firmware and then the 2.4GHz was the only one that showed up as active, but still did not appear to broadcast. So I upgraded back to the latest firmware with equivalent results. I had done 30/30/30's in-between all attempts.

So I've been reading that this problem is often fixed by clearing the nvram. For the love of Pete, can I get a simple answer on how to accomplish this? I have never had to Telnet/SSH or use a TTL adapter to talk to a router. However, could I accomplish this by simply changing over to dd-wrt firmware and then clearing the nvram or would it be dangerous to try to change the firmware while the router is in the state it is currently? I don't care what firmware the router runs as I don't require anything special from it. I simply bought this R9000 as an overkill replacement for my previous single-core router.

As a last resort comedy option, can I run the R9000 in it's crippled state as a LAN router and piggy back my current router for wireless duties only and call it a day?

Thanks in advance,

Logistics
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Logistics...if radios are visible but not broadcasting...this is a good sign...i guess...as R9000 is know with it bad thermal design and burned/fried/not working radios...
As you already stated no avail with Netgear stock firmware..
I'm afraid you don't have many choices...
There are may threads in the forum based on the same issue bad radio and so on..you better read those..
for more info about R9000
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R9000
also 30/30/30 is bad idea on any router nowadays...
TFTP is easy on Netgear R9000 google it...(i used it )..
If the radios do not show off not much to be done... Rolling Eyes
Good Luck

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums.

I split your post into its own thread, the issue you have is unrelated to the thread you had previously attached your reply to. So now all is well. Wink

First you should care what Firmware the router runs. I repeat this so often, I may as well make a thread about it and point everyone to it. But here it is.

Stock firmware that use a Linux kernel generally speaking are based on End of Life (EOL) kernels that are not patched against known security exploits and while the manufacturer supports the device, they may or may not backport those patches in a short time or maybe never. These stock firmware nonsense also use old EOL Openssl for instance and other components all really just filled to the brim with known unpatched security issues.

DD-WRT uses currently upstream maintained kernels, Openssl and components that once a known exploit is patched and upstream makes it available, DD-WRt usually patches it on the same day, and this trickles down to the users on the next public builds.

So if you care about your network and devices I think you should consider this.

As for the radio issue.

You would need crack open the router and take some snapshots of the silkscreened areas and also plug in a serial adapter and grab that output to text file and determine if the radio is dead or alive.

Quite a few people here have the R9000, so if for instance its some damaged flashable area ad the routers match, then its possible to have a donor image to be flashed into the patient unit. But thats after we know whats going on.

However dead radios is one of the known issues.

Or ignore all of that work and do what you proposed and use it as you see fit on your network.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Active antennas, bad cable routing. Not an easy fix. These things are an expensive experiment and bound to have wifi failure at some point unless you buy new and fix the cable routing problem.

R9000 Wifi Failure = firmware load issues
R9000 bites the wifi dust
R9000 can't enable Wifi

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, looks like you get to join the bad 5ghz wifi club.

So did you buy it with bunked 5ghz or was it working for a little bit?

TL:DR. Here is the infrared camera proof from my router that 5ghz died: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1252214#1252214.

Netgear support was worthless and I am still convinced the offloaded active antenna design is to blame.

The sad part is that the only option these days seem to be a build your own x86 to be able to take advantage of the gig speeds ISP's are offering and to be able to run QoS too.

I hope some AX router's can be ported soon. R9000's used are hard to find cheap and R7800 too...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its a beast of a router, but it's terrible engineering, shamelessly terrible, when I started looking at pictures of this router motherboard online, I couldn't believe how many corners were cut, whats the point of delivering a machine with decent CPU's radios switches and a 10G port that just thermal solutions are not even close to being safe, never mind the rest.

I know... let me call on my old planed obsolesce factual conspiracy excuse. Make it last just long enough to pass the warranty period, shameless, these Corporations have no accountability anymore.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem is once the radio chip fails, replacing the antenna cable(s) isn't going to fix the problem. You have to replace the burnt out radio chip. Not impossible, but a real pain in the ass to refurbish it. Completely agree that design vs. manufactured product is complete garbage.

To add to my previous comment about the cabling, also give the cooling and thermal offload issues some attention as well. The cooling fan seems too small for intended purpose, in my opinion; not enough cfm, but I guess if you have it running 24/7 it will work-ish.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Logistics
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I said I didn't care what firmware I am running I was not considering the security portion of things, I only meant to convey that I don't have any special needs--I'm just using it as a home router. Thank you for all the input friends. It sounds like the first thing I should do is move the R9000 to DD-WRT.
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most users dont consider security other aspects, hence why corporations get away with selling sub par equipment and offering shoddy firmware/OSs because the majority of people does not consider some aspects or care.

I'm just trying to raise awareness. I dont care if anyone cares or not beyond that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: