OpenVPN Client Disconnecting/Dropping

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
what i observed once, on a business line the ISP was blocking any UDP odd traffic...so games and VPN ware failing..and exactly like this, similar to your tun fail ISP was blocking UDP shortly for those used ports.. so try TCP for the VPN it will be ok..i guess..
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would indeed first try TCP4 as connection.

Quote:
I mean, the router itself it fine for me speeds etc and can't do anything about that, I can't get even get above 30mbps on my ISP router due to the distance to the cab so im not going to get any better speeds than i currently get

That set me thinking, is this routers connected wirelessly in Client mode to the main router over a long distance?

If so maybe it is just the wireless connection dropping?

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
<off-topic>
Just wanted to take a moment to respond to previous off-topic commentary:
the-joker wrote:
Ive taken the liberty to include the insanely huge inline logs into quotes
-~~~~-
On doing this triggered another forums bug that breaks the layout, Ive submitted a couple of fixes and waiting on them going live.
-~~~~-
PS: the layout fixes are now live.

I must've completely missed your post when I interjected. Thank you for your diligence in making improvements, sir.
the-joker wrote:
@Jord9857 Just a suggestion; would be nice that when logs are that long, instead attaching them as a text file to your replies, it makes following the threads much easier to read as opposed to the endless scrolling your large logs force everyone to go through.

Agreed, and following this advice from page 1 of this thread would've also helped (quote edited to include link to site):
eibgrad wrote:
If it's particularly big, it might be better posted on PasteBin and provide a link.

</off-topic>

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Based on the most recent syslog, which has the watchodog enabled, seems to me the tunnel is just failing for some unexplained reason. Once connected, it will run for at least an hour, then renegotiate the session key successfully, but eventually fail w/ the following message (which I've NOT seen before).

Jun 25 05:39:11 DD-WRT daemon.err openvpn[23098]: Read Udpv4 [Ehostunreach]: Host Is Unreachable (Code=148)

At that point, the tunnel seems borked, and eventually the watchdog detects it and reboots.

There's no obvious reason from the rest of the syslog to explain it. Seems more of a problem w/ the VPN provider. Some are known to kick off users when the server is overloaded, or down for maintenance. But this is a little different. The tunnel just stops working.

As an experiment, you might try using TCP rather than UDP (assuming NordVPN supports it). Maybe that will ensure both sides the connection is still valid (UDP, being connection-less, depends solely on timeout to detect the loss of a peer).

But overall, I don't see anything configured improperly here. All appearances suggest it's the VPN provider to blame.

Hi, I tried TCP and TCP4 - didn't work even after applying the settings then rebooting (no internet access), switched it back to udp4 as per guide, and picked internet access back up
Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
I would indeed first try TCP4 as connection.

Quote:
I mean, the router itself it fine for me speeds etc and can't do anything about that, I can't get even get above 30mbps on my ISP router due to the distance to the cab so im not going to get any better speeds than i currently get

That set me thinking, is this routers connected wirelessly in Client mode to the main router over a long distance?

If so maybe it is just the wireless connection dropping?

Hi, no both routers are connected over ethernet cable - ISP router doesn't drop or anything when this netgear router does
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jord9857 wrote:
Hi, I tried TCP and TCP4 - didn't work even after applying the settings then rebooting (no internet access), switched it back to udp4 as per guide, and picked internet access back up

Did you use the same exact config and just change UDP to TCP? Most OpenVPN providers use different configurations between UDP and TCP, minimally requiring different servers and/or ports. IOW, in most cases, you can't just change the protocol from UDP to TCP and expect it to work.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Jord9857 wrote:

Did you use the same exact config and just change UDP to TCP? Most OpenVPN providers use different configurations between UDP and TCP, minimally requiring different servers and/or ports. IOW, in most cases, you can't just change the protocol from UDP to TCP and expect it to work.

Hi, I used the suggested NordVPN config from this forum post
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328049&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=nordvpn&start=0
Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
After rebooting (trying these UDP to TCP changes) I'm getting this error in the logs, taking a guess it's to do with a CA Cert on the OpenVPN (not sure if it's the client or server one)
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jord9857 wrote:
Hi, I used the suggested NordVPN config from this forum post
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328049&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=nordvpn&start=0

That's all well and good for what it is, but I wouldn't want to depend on it to be accurate indefinitely. Things do change. And that's 18 months old information (although I see @egc updated the OP's post in December of 2021).

Anyway, maybe it's correct, maybe NOT.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jord9857 wrote:
After rebooting (trying these UDP to TCP changes) I'm getting this error in the logs, taking a guess it's to do with a CA Cert on the OpenVPN (not sure if it's the client or server one)

Your router has NOT yet updated the time, so it can't verify the certs expiry date. This is normal. It will keep retrying until the time is eventually set.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: