PinShortTrick OK with bricked WRT54gs V4?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 17:18    Post subject: PinShortTrick OK with bricked WRT54gs V4? Reply with quote
Howdy Fora Folks, first post here by a nubie so be gentle with me if I don't use the proper dd-wrt buzz words as the cognoscente might.

I have bricked my WRT54gs V4 while trying to do an initial setup as per the device specific instructions at
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GS_v4.0
Unless details on that are needed here I'll post that in a separate thread later for a post mortum. Suffice it to say I've got the blinking power light and all other lights lit except for DMZ and NO ping response.

After much searching of the forum threads I see a possible fix via the "Pin Short Trick"
http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/wrt54g_revival.html
That however referenced Vers 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 of the WRT54GS and I have a V4.
- Is it safe to try this trick with V4 or not?
- is there a better option that I just missed in my search?
I did see the various serial cable stuff but the cable costs more than another ebay unit.

Further, assuming it is OK to do and I get to the tftp stage, should I go to the 1.06.3 Linksys Firmware or directly to the 14929 mini firmware?
Please advise
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to forums Wink

Research https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37560 I'm sure someone says something there, Sorry cant do any better at this time reply wise.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 18:02    Post subject: Much Grass Reply with quote
Thanks Joker, I'm working though all that now.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recover From A Bad Flash - DD-WRT Wiki

Pin shorting.. Lets talk barryware advises against pin shorting.

JTAG - DD-WRT Wiki

Help! I think I have bricked my wrt54gs v4

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 14:30    Post subject: Good Info Reply with quote
Howdy K-P69, Thanks for the links. I had looked at all those except for the Barryware one, I'll dig into that too. Yeah, I'm trying to decide if I should make a jtag cable just for the fun of the project. I've got an ebay 54gs coming as as replacement so I can play with the bricked one or just toss it.
Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 17:11    Post subject: JTAG or Serial? Reply with quote
OK, I've been beavering away with various articles. In the Peacock thread section 6) he discusses various tests and then referenced the JTAG and Serial links. There is cost in the cables and shipping etc for both so I'm wondering if I should go straight to JTAG or try the serial first.

Doing the described test in the Peacock thread with the pings, I always get back "destination unreachable". My power light is blinking, DMZ light is OFF, and all port lights (LAN/WAN) are ON. Am I correct in thinking that there is no point in trying the serial procedure and that I should go straight to JTAG?

Please advise.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
If setting a static IP on your PC (i.e. 192.168.1.5) does not allow you to ping the router / try a TFTP flash using either the linksys gui tool or DrayTek tool, then first step is serial. JTAG is an extreme case scenario where the bootloader has grenaded. It may be as simple as an nvram erase via serial and reboot.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 18:23    Post subject: tftp flash? Reply with quote
Howdy Dale,
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I can do that. According to the tftp flash page
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash
I have to be able to get the router to respond with some form of ttl= response in order to start the tftp flash. My pings only return the "Destination unreachable" response, never get a ttl= response to trigger when I should try the tftp. Correct me if I'm missing something. Or are you indicating I should try the serial instead?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:29    Post subject: Re: tftp flash? Reply with quote
Cosmic11do2 wrote:
Howdy Dale,
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I can do that. According to the tftp flash page
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash
I have to be able to get the router to respond with some form of ttl= response in order to start the tftp flash. My pings only return the "Destination unreachable" response, never get a ttl= response to trigger when I should try the tftp. Correct me if I'm missing something. Or are you indicating I should try the serial instead?

For the TFTP flash, yes...but Serial should allow you to clear the nvram...then you would get the response. Serial has nothing to do with the ttl response. You are looking at the serial output...not a ethernet port output.

redhawk
Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 14:09    Post subject: Gottcha! Reply with quote
Thanks Redhawk, that clears thins up for my feeble mind. Wink I've got a line on a cable and I'll try that first and report back.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
For reference, here is some amplifying information regarding serial, just in case you didn't already have it handy:

Serial Recovery - DD-WRT Wiki

Serial Port Pinouts (Linksys WRT54G(S,L)) - DD-WRT Wiki

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 14:19    Post subject: Got it Reply with quote
Got that Dale, thanks for the refresher Links.
Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 21:05    Post subject: I'm recursing... Reply with quote
The morer I try, etc. Looking for the recommended Nokia CA-42 serial cable I find that it is likely obsoleted, all the sites show zero supply. I found one in GB but with $us20 shipping.

That made me wonder if any of the other Nokia cables that have similar looking ends might work for our DD-WRT usage. Like the CA-53
https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-CA-53-Connectivity-Cable/dp/B000KNHKTG
I was unable to find a pinout for this cable though.

Anyone else investigated this or know of a replacement for the CA-42 recommended in the Serial Recovery wiki?
[/url]
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
[Malachi] I have purchased a few of the Nokia clones that didn't work, for that reason I buy USB to uart adapters like these.

Original link in wiki is dead, but I found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Aitrip-CP2102-Converter-Adapter-Downloader/dp/B08BND69FG

Cosmic11do2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 23:05    Post subject: Serial Cable and Board Pin-Outs Reply with quote
Dale, U Da MAN! Good find. Pin values noted right on the board and it even comes with cables that can slip onto a pin header if installed on the router board. I'll order one and report back as to how it goes. Again, thanks for that find!!

Earlier you referred me to a photo of pinouts for a WRT-54G with L and S referred but the photo is different from my GS.

Look at the attached photo of my headers. I'm assuming the 10-pin is Serial and the 12-pin is JTAG, right? What would be the Receive/Send/Ground pins there?

WRT54GSv4.jpg
 Description:
WRT54GSv4 Serial and JTAG Headers
 Filesize:  1.78 MB
 Viewed:  3255 Time(s)

WRT54GSv4.jpg

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: