OpenVPN Client Disconnecting/Dropping

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW, I'm using NordVPN as well, but w/ DD-WRT x86 (DD-WRT v3.0-r48432 std (03/01/22)), and do NOT see this same behavior.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Sponsor
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
wndr3700 v4
AR9344CPU Cores:1
CPU MHz:560
Is this CPU fast enough for OpenVPN eibgrad?

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
wndr3700 v4

CPU will not make any difference...VPN will be just very slow...
if i have 10Mbit with CPU@720Mhz...with 560Mhz, it will be even worst..
and with using 256-CBC it will be a serious taxing on the CPU...ill rather try 128-GCM or ChachaPoly...

But the tunnel, as eibgrad said, fails for some odd reason...more likely VPN server stuff..i guess...Rolling Eyes

I've no idea if SFE is not messing around, as the chap is using it...too...my guess but probb not.. Rolling Eyes

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree 100% it will be a slow crap throughput and not worth while anyway unless you have very very slow broadband but i feel cpu maybe to slow to work correctly. i had this when i first started with DD-WRT OVPN client using a buffalo router, connected auth'ed but tunnel crapped out.
Nothing wrong with Nordvpn working here wireguard and ovpn.
Why does op not test it on his pc app? confirm its working on a particular server and test back on router, that will confirm its not a Nordvpn issue.

Alozaros wrote:
foz111 wrote:
wndr3700 v4

CPU will not make any difference...VPN will be just very slow...
if i have 10Mbit with CPU@720Mhz...with 560Mhz, it will be even worst..
and with using 256-CBC it will be a serious taxing on the CPU...ill rather try 128-GCM or ChachaPoly...

But the tunnel, as eibgrad said, fails for some odd reason...more likely VPN server stuff..i guess...Rolling Eyes

I've no idea if SFE is not messing around, as the chap is using it...too...my guess but probb not.. Rolling Eyes

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree the OP's router is not all that great for these purposes, being released circa 2012, and marginal specs.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_WNDR3700v4

However, I don't recall such routers exhibiting this kind of behavior in the past. They may be slow, perhaps too slow, but it shouldn't fail, esp. the way it does.

I'll leave it up to the OP to determine if the performance merits continuing w/ this hardware. I'm just trying to make it work, no matter how poorly.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is a recommended router/netgear router to replace this one with?
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Routers: I think most would recommend Netgear R7800, XR500.
Consider buying the xr500 new because some have bad block issues and there has been a few people return them not able to flash DD-WRT. Yes bad blocks can happen on new/used R7800 but a lot of people had issues with XR500 not sure if this is still currently an issue when buying new or if it was just a certain batch.
R9000 / XR700 are great routers but can have issues with radio's, also VLans are not so easy.
Maybe others but the majority will recommend r7800 or x86 i suspect.

Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your recommendations

I have a spare Netgear D7000 layin around, do you reckon that will be any good if I put DD WRT firmware on it?
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
No DD-WRT firmware available for the D7000 they have built in modem different hardware, R7000 yes D7000 no.
Whats your Internet download speed? That would determine what hardware cpu speed required to keep up with your line speed if your intending running vpns.
Better using nordvpn wireguard but you'll need to grab your key out.

Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
30 mbps

But that's on my ISP router

Physically my netgear router sits behind my ISP router (DSL to the ISP router, ethernet cable from that ISP router to my Netgear router) but what me and egc found, to enable the OpenVPN server to function - I had to sit the netgear router on the DMZ of the ISP router
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
wndr3700 v4

I run ovpn server on WNDR3700v4 and it suits me...NOT nearly as fast as the EA8500 but it worky ok.
When I got a decent cell signal I can get just a bit under 10mbps connected thru the 3700v4 ovpn server Razz

---
tis its settings Smile

Last edited by mrjcd on Wed Jun 29, 2022 21:26; edited 1 time in total
Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the netgear router, I get about 10 mbps
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jord9857 wrote:
On the netgear router, I get about 10 mbps

Sounds about right.

On my ASUS RT-AC68U (800MHz), I get about 30Mbps. Older MIPS routers w/ ~300MHz will see 2-3Mbps. You really need to get up into the 1.4-1.8GHz range before you see dramatic improvement (i.e., 100Mbps and more), at least for OpenVPN (WireGuard shifts up these numbers significantly).

When it comes to the VPNs, you get what you pay for.

Jord9857
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
So due to my setup, do you think an upgrade in router which be beneficial?

I mean, the router itself it fine for me speeds etc and can't do anything about that, I can't get even get above 30mbps on my ISP router due to the distance to the cab so im not going to get any better speeds than i currently get, just the constant disconnecting of TUN 1 which is frustrating

I've yet to try switching the OpenVPN Client to TCP as I was following the setup guide so will try that next - thanks
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jord9857 wrote:
So due to my setup, do you think an upgrade in router which be beneficial?

I mean, the router itself it fine for me speeds etc and can't do anything about that, I can't get even get above 30mbps on my ISP router due to the distance to the cab so im not going to get any better speeds than i currently get, just the constant disconnecting of TUN 1 which is frustrating

I've yet to try switching the OpenVPN Client to TCP as I was following the setup guide so will try that next - thanks

This is why when asking for router recommendations, it's so difficult to do without any other context. If your ISP's available bandwidth is limited to 30Mbps, then there's NOT much benefit upgrading above a certain point. At least if the VPN is your only consideration.

Even though I would consider my ASUS RT-AC68U a bit old at this point, it's still a terrific router, even today, *except* for the VPN. And it can be had for as little as $35 shipped on eBay (being sold as the TM-AC1900). So it could get you a little closer to what your ISP offers at a modest price, if that's worth it to you.

Also, if indeed your present problems are actually do to the choice of hardware, at least I know the RT-AC68U works w/ the VPN provider, and what you can expect.

Regardless of all that, if TCP solves the problem and you're satisfied w/ the performance, that's all that matter.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: