Routers, Subnets, Plex and Local Networks

James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 0:26    Post subject: Routers, Subnets, Plex and Local Networks Reply with quote
Is this possible Networking Gurus?

Scenario:

Running plex server at home on PC

a) Cable Company "Technicolor CGM4140COM supplied Router/Modem
b) Netgear Nighthawk R7800 running Wireguard
c) Netgear Nighthawk X10 running OpenVpn

b) setup as 192.168.1.1
c) setup as 192.168.2.1

A is connected to a Tp_link Gigabit switch and b and c are then connected into the switch.

This allowed me to split the connection from cable company device so I could run all the routers at same time to test stuff.

I am able to access a, b and c wifi as I use different channels to avoid interference, so I can test OpenVPN vs Wireguard in the house vs cable company.

Plex requires access to be on same subnet for it to be considered local therefore no transcoding occurs and images are best they can be.

If I have the Plex server and any of the tv's or devices on the same network a or b it is great however if say I have server on b and tv on c it transcodes as it believes it is not on the local network.

Is it possible to make this work relatively simply so that Plex believes that b and c are on same subnet.

Attached is a screenshot from Plex, under Lan setting I added 2 lines but Plex people tell me it won't work because if I use a different subset for pc and different for tv it appears as non local.

I have found a few things on the wiki that sound interesting, but I know after losing hair over my initial Wireguard setup I thought I would ask..... as you have all been extremely helpful with these sorts of things.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I missed any important details as this is definitely over my head. lol.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not have plex so cannot help you with that but a prerequisite seems that the subnets at least must be able to connect to each other.

On subnet 192.168.1.1 you need to set a route to subnet 192.168.2.0 and on 192.168.2.1 you need to set a route to 192.168.1.0, route to the WAN IP address of the respective routers.

The second thing it that you have to open up the firewall of the routers to allow traffic of the main subnet (as both routers NAT allowing only the main subnet should be sufficient).

Individual clients (plex server) have their own firewalls and also should allow traffic from the other subnet, or you have to NAT traffic out of br0

Attached my notes which hopefully give you some idea how to do all that although they are not for exactly the same situation.

I am traveling so not much time to give specific instructions

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank You EGC, much appreciated as always. This will help a lot. I will attempt to fix this on the weekend.

Very Happy
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question: I am setting things up using router 1 instructions.

For the static lease of 192.168.1.2 am I using the Mac address of Router 1 here? Router 1 under Services/DHCP server/Static leases.

Thanks
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
routers b and c get their WAN ip address from the Cable company router so you have to set the static lease there.

If that is not possible no worry usually the dhcp leases are not changing (but setting a static lease is of course better).

So if you cannot set a static lease just use the WAN IP address for routers b and c as is and hope they do not change.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
EGC.....I am going to give this a try again. Let see if I have it right, bear with me as it is a tad over my skillset. If you could let me know if I am right in the settings before I install. Thanks in Advance.

If you can confirm my logic is sound. Much appreciated for the assistance.

Router 1 Local IP is 192.168.1.1
Router 2 Local IP is 192.168.2.1

Router 1 settings.

On Router 1 I set a static lease. As per Picture 1.
Do I use the Wan MAC address of router 2 in this field ??

I now add a static route on router 1 under advanced routing as per Picture 2

ROUTER 2 Settings

Because I did all the settings in router 1 the only thing I need to add in router 2 is Router IP settings Picture 3 and the the firewall rule Picture 4?

iptables -I INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT #only necessary for access for the router itself for NAS etc.

iptables -I FORWARD -j ACCEPT

I then connect a Lan port from Router 1 to Wan port of Router 2 and that is all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: