[SOLVED] How to open a XR500 w/o damaging case?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:13    Post subject: [SOLVED] How to open a XR500 w/o damaging case? Reply with quote
Hi, as title, is there any guide showing how to open up Netgear XR500 without damaging the plastic casing?

I need to connect the USB-RS232 TTL cable to capture serial log. It can be for extended period so it would be nice if there's also a guide showing how to close the plastic casing when the USB-RS232 cable is still connected to XR500 board.

I've found this thread https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/r7800 but it's for R7800. I understand that XR500 is a rebranded R7800, but the plastic casing is different. I haven't attempted opening it myself yet.

lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
This looks like what you want:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/netgear-nighthawk-xr500/4.html

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
From experience generally speaking, you want to use nylon prying tools for areas where there is plastic on plastic if the item to open has locking tabs for instance or some kind of self latching mechanisms made of plastic.

Never but never use metal on plastic to push or exert some/any kind of force, it will bite into the plastic and be a constant reminder on OCD eyes.

In a pinch, guitar plectrums or an old credit card slightly sanded to remove any hard edges and thin the edge just enough.

I can see from pictures there are some of those self latching plastic (even if internal ) you dont wanna snap one off by using any metal to exert any force, this happens more often than not, so just enough force is enough, even if the case itself is held together with screws and it likely wont need any nylon prying tools, sure its nice to have a set around for the hidden ones.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Jun 07, 2022 13:43; edited 1 time in total
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks @lexridge @the-joker
The opening part doesn't have a lot of photos, but I guess I'll have to make do with it.
I have OCD, but the router is normally placed much higher than my view, so I think it's ok to be a bit rough and have scratches and dents here and there, as long as no plastic latch is broken.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, so the hammer/sledgehammer then is the right tool Wink if your OCD isnt triggered by out-of-sight out of mind thinga-me-bobs.

My OCD works in any circumstances.

But then... If it doesnt matter the odd scratch or scratches and dings, why ask in forst place.

You have officially managed to trigger my am-i-crazy-or-what alarm. hahaha.

Good luck.

Marked thread as [SOLVED] also and shortened the title 'cause it wouldna fit captain.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Jun 07, 2022 13:57; edited 1 time in total
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I try to reduce spending time figuring out if there is any more hidden screw, or I just need to apply more force, and where are the places I need to push in to release the latches, that sort of things. I'm not going to sell or gift my router to anyone else, so cosmetics defects don't really matter, but I also don't want to get in the situation where I hammer my router to pieces then fix it back using duck tape, just to realize there's already a step-by-step guide on how to open the casing without breaking a sweat / breaking the latches.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ill take it, duck/duct tape and all, and you know, if you cant fix it with duck tape, youre not using enough duck tape.

Gifts welcome.

Ship to North Pole, Santa's Village located on the corner of efing freezi'n and reindeer poop AV.

IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've opened up my XR500 using the guides above, but I didn't have time to record the video or to write up the step-by-step instructions, so I only took some photos instead: https://imgur.com/a/rcBAb1m
Additional notes:
  • Screw: TORX T10 (not Phillips head screw as mentioned in the TechPowerup guide)
  • Connect Tx of XR500 to Rx of USB-RS232 converter, connect Rx of XR500 to Tx of USB-RS232 converter
  • Better NOT connect Vcc: some USB-RS232 converter has Vcc=5V which can kill the XR500

Total down time: 30min

Last edited by IONK on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:05; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
These days there are serial adapters etc that have voltage selectors, mostly routers wont like 5V anyway.

I wanted to buy one for my RT-AC68U as currently dont have any suitable and I need something multi-protocol anyway as my old serial dongle turned out to be a clone and the manufacturers drivers dont work with it, and the clone drivers older version is filled with bugs which make it unusable/unreliable.

These days I'm broke, COVID killed my self employment and around these parts its hard to get regular IT/Dev work, opensource for free is never a problem Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: