New Build - 06/23/2022 - r49326

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
backroger wrote:
PaulGo wrote:

Correction: Using CFT+FA for Flow Acceleration is faster. To implement this I needed to reboot my router twice.

Does this work with QoS on too?

According to this article it does not:

https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/
Sponsor
Duxa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
the-joker wrote:
nperf.com, have you tried it?

CTF is pure software acceleration, FA is Hardware acceleration so when both are enabled not only are you using both CPU's( for CTF) you are also using specific in chip hardware accelerator, but FA is really for Gigabit WAN speeds anything less CTF should be fine.

Don't take it from me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRmQkkZ71E

the-joker you are totally correct. I read on another thread which you just posted that to use FA you need to reboot twice. I did that, and it made a big difference when I connected it to my test Comcast high speed internet connection. I get substantially higher speeds than just CFT alone. (Both wired and Wi-Fi).

wait. Did some new option show up after rebooting twice? What exactly does the 2nd reboot do?
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you select FA and apply it a reboot will happen but it appears even though it is shown to be implemented it is not, a second reboot is needed to activate it.

Last edited by PaulGo on Sat Jun 25, 2022 15:25; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
You would be correct. Further information:

New Build - 05/17/2021 - r46690
Flow Acceleration missing in latest builds
CTF / CTF & FA went MIA Asus RT-Ac5300

backroger wrote:
PaulGo wrote:

Correction: Using CFT+FA for Flow Acceleration is faster. To implement this I needed to reboot my router twice.

Does this work with QoS on too?

To solidify previous answer, you cannot use any Shortcut Forwarding Engine mode configuration with QoS in DD-WRT;
you have *never* been able to do this.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
IDK what you guys are smoking, but its rude not to share. Wink The Joker has jokes Wink

Ive already explained on some thread in some detail the limitations and caveats of using CTF and CTF & FA, but it seems its been missed entirely.
caveats wrote:
NAT Acceleration supports only adaptive QoS (Level 1 CTF), no QoS (Level 2 CTF+FA), may not support port forwarding (hosting game servers, etc.), parental controls, PPPoE, STP. The increased re-transmission caused by NAT Acceleration may also cause shuttering on some streaming devices (Apple TV, Chromecast, VoIP).

And again for the crowd on the back seats, because of how FA works using on chip acceleration, one reboot to bring this online, second to get the right modules loaded, or the other way around, this is closed source crap so there no way to look at what the code does.

Not very long ago the CTF/CTF&FA detection code was re-written, so only specific platforms that support it will show the CTF&FA option, now its possible some #ifdef is in wrong place for some routers, but tbh I dont give this too much attention, this code is part of DD-WRT so its out there for auditing.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Duxa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
When you select FA and apply it a reboot will happen but it appears even though it is shown to be implemented it is not, a second reboot is needed to activate it.

how are you testing (and what results are you seeing) between it working and not working?

the-joker wrote:
IDK what you guys are smoking, but its rude not to share. Wink The Joker has jokes Wink

Ive already explained on some thread in some detail the limitations and caveats of using CTF and CTF & FA, but it seems its been missed entirely.
caveats wrote:
NAT Acceleration supports only adaptive QoS (Level 1 CTF), no QoS (Level 2 CTF+FA), may not support port forwarding (hosting game servers, etc.), parental controls, PPPoE, STP. The increased re-transmission caused by NAT Acceleration may also cause shuttering on some streaming devices (Apple TV, Chromecast, VoIP).

And again for the crowd on the back seats, because of how FA works using on chip acceleration, one reboot to bring this online, second to get the right modules loaded, or the other way around, this is closed source crap so there no way to look at what the code does.

Not very long ago the CTF/CTF&FA detection code was re-written, so only specific platforms that support it will show the CTF&FA option, now its possible some #ifdef is in wrong place for some routers, but tbh I dont give this too much attention, this code is part of DD-WRT so its out there for auditing.

Is there a way to check if its fully loaded and operational? Maybe NVRAM value? or Process running?
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Asus RT-AC66U.
Mode: AP.
File: dd-wrt-48322-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx
Kernel: well, the one included in the build.
Reset: no.
Previous build: dd-wrt-48540-Asus_RT-AC66U (05/04/22).
Uptime: one day.
Flashed via: GUI.

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Duxa wrote:
Is there a way to check if its fully loaded and operational? Maybe NVRAM value? or Process running?

That variable is documented in one of the links someone posted earlier, cof cof (scratchy throat need alchool), you could start opening links as well.

The NRAM variable is ctf_fa_cap should be set to 1 on supported systems.

nvram show |grep ctf for the win.

You can always force ctf_fa_cap but if a given router CPU revision doesn't have the HW acceleration built in, well good luck with that.

IDK what your options look like anyway.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: