Bad wireless performance with DIR-878 A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
dusanv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 17:15    Post subject: Bad wireless performance with DIR-878 A1 Reply with quote
Getting real slow 2.4 and 5 GHz with packet loss, close to the router, without much traffic. Example for the 5 GHz network with 2 clients idling on it:

159 packets transmitted, 156 packets received, 1.9% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.743/54.645/1829.775/172.517 ms

Running firmware 48996 right now but I tried a couple of them. 39296 was better overall but the network dropped out quite a bit. 44715 is similar to 48996.

I'm attaching the screen shots for the wireless setups.

What should I try? I'm thinking about reverting to the 3xxxx series.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, you can try builds based on Milax reports or experiences from previous Ralink build threads.

r48996 is certainly a build to avoid on Atheros, no idea about Ralink/MediaTek. r49268 is current.

My opinion, better off to report performance issues with the current build to receive any attention.

Set your wireless channels so do not use Auto. Maybe keep Wireless Network Mode default Mixed.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
All the DD-WRT builds mentioned are outdated. No metion of any current releases.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dusanv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I must be misunderstanding something. 48996 is a 3 week old build. It's outdated? Also, Milax reported r49197 bricked his router. No reports since. Not sure whether I want to take a chance with r49268.
Milax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
dusanv wrote:
I must be misunderstanding something. 48996 is a 3 week old build. It's outdated? Also, Milax reported r49197 bricked his router. No reports since. Not sure whether I want to take a chance with r49268.

Process of installing r49268 on Dir-882 A1 went without issues
dusanv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, installed r49268, pretty much the same thing, very slow. Then I fixed the channels on both 2.4 and 5 GHz and that improved the speed a fair bit. I never had to do that before. Thanks for that tip.

edit: correct the build number
dusanv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
The ping stats are still awful though, this is a lightly used network:

289 packets transmitted, 266 packets received, 8.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.866/64.294/1070.719/134.580 ms

Anything else I can do make a difference?
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im having issues since january, im shocked noone is noticing them... anyway this was my post from that time: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1257594#1257594

im stuck on build r48141, so try this one...

its also true im not checking every single build anymore, just once every 2 months... for me packetloss is worst on devices that are mostly idle on wireless network, like printer, however its still present on almost all devices to some degree.
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
@SoLoR

Setup screenshots would go a long way in helping to reach a diagnosis.

Also have you considered that your current channel in use may be overcrowded? Easy to tell for instance https://vremsoftwaredevelopment.github.io/WiFiAnalyzer/ is a good opensource app and also free as in free beer.

In any case, your setup screenshots may help identify any problematic settings.

Things change DD-WRT side when kernels and drivers are updated, your settings may need adjusting for better performance.

If you have for instance changed the radios transmit power to a higher value that can cause this, assuming your radios dont have a locked TX power amongst other settings that could be helping this.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Fri Jun 24, 2022 19:24; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
@SoLoR

Setup screenshots would go a long way in helping to reach a diagnosis.

Agreed.

@dusnav: No idea what your advanced settings are, so you and @SoLoR should probably provide full screenshots as requested of all applicable settings so the issue can be diagnosed properly.

This router is not underpowered, but the MT76 and mac80211 driver development is an ongoing process that includes outside upstream developers.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the-joker

I can do factory reset, connect to that passwordless dd-wrt network with default settings and ill have issues... for me r48141 is working, every build since r48208 that i tried i have issues, factory reset and all... its true i didnt try any new one for like a month, but since january im always suprised when i see people reporting dir 878/882 working "normally", when im having issues with factory defaults on both my dir 878 APs.

Only solution im seeing to figure what is the cause is, checkout r48208, then reversing couple of changes and recompiling dd-wrt on my own and do trial and error... Not sure if this is even possible, because i read somewhere not all files and included on svn... Also cant really turn of wireless for a day or two to do this...
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Defaults are not what most people use would be my guess, unless everyone with said routers posted their wireless configurations screenshots, it will remain a guess. If they dont have issues, clearly their defaults have been changed (a reasonable semi educated assumption).

Screenshots from the OP on this thread has some not ideal selections, the channel is auto, Mixed for 2.4Ghz means B/G/N, if you dont have devices that only support B, then the best setting is N / G Mixed.

As for your particular case, since you are the one with these less than desireable experiences is to post your screenshots as requested, else we can have these back and forth replies but nothing will be resolved.

Settings matter, and it matters what clients support, it also matters your wireless environment to some extent where channels are concerned for instance like using less crowded channels, by default it's Auto which is a not ideal. You would need to use a wifi analyzer to see which would be your best channel and specifically assign it. I already posted a link to a opensource wifi analyzer, I use it myself its great clean app and doesnt collect any user data or anything at all to send back to any servers.

So without screenshots really cant go further than this.

Ill admit I have no experience with Mediatek/Ralink routers, Broadcom/Atheros side thereaa re stickies that deal with best wireless configurations in detail, there is no such thread for Ralink afaik.

You may want to consult those stickies for educational purposes only and if you find similarities try to apply such settings to your device. If I had a screenshot from your router I would know more or less what to recommend as would others.

dusanv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
So these are my security settings, same on both 2.4 & 5. Nothing else has been altered.
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
@dusanv

Can you try selecting a channel rather than setting auto (which is default and its already mentioned this isnt ideal)

Security settings are fine, assuming your clients all support that basic stuff, which most half modern stuff should.

Its the other settings that are more relevant here, channel width, channel in use (not auto pls) if the channel is crowded or not. I already posted a opensource wifi analyzer to find out..

Dadasuprem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Milax wrote:
dusanv wrote:

Process of installing r49268 on Dir-882 A1 went without issues

are the traffic leds back on? Smile
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: