How bypass Tenda configuration import check

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
mrocha2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I imagined that the router would compare the exported file with a internal copy, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the attention and explanations, and sorry to post this off topic here.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're OK, it's not the done deal to answer just about all non DD-WRT related questions, but it happens and I'm glad you were patient and did some work to help determine where those numbers come from.

This confirmed it's just some assigned value used by some internal logic that assigns weight to specific changes in settings, as you noted not all changes affect this number, and that such is used to verify and prevent restoring settings that may not be compatible (a reasonable deduction) by editing file manually, a weird way to do it for sure but likely the cheapest way, which is often how these manufacturers do things, the British have this saying about this sort of thing being done in a just barely OK way, two kicks and a slap.

But to answer your original question knowing this is what is happening, you need to understand the logic behind this by revere engineering the firmwarea and once you understand the logic you will be able to generate valid numbers for whatever changes, OK lots of work ahead if you really wanna do this but its a possibility (no guarantees).

I support the seeking of information and providing such freely and openly, curiosity being the main driver and spending time researching is the daily bread.

As it's often said, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Anyway... were I you I would buy a router that is known to support DD-WRT and tell Tenda to go EF themselves hard with a bark covered stick.

You do yourself a favor by running non EOL kernels and libraries and components and know that in DD-WRT these are patched for known security exploits as soon as such patches become available form developers upstream, as opposed to running EOL everything that after a couple of years is no longer updated and remains filled to the brim with all such issues.

Something suitable for your immediate needs and with some futre proofing in mind.

Take care now.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
mrocha2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree! :)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's probably an algorithm of some sort that does it. Not impossible to figure out, but I'd have to have the device in my possession.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
mrocha2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
There's probably an algorithm of some sort that does it.

I think so, this was why I create this topic, I thought, in DD-WRT forum have a lot of people with great knowledge about routers, and maybe someone have some experience with this ridiculous Tenda config lock, and know the algorithm and can post to me the math :D but seem I'm alone with this lock :( , but thanks again the attention, you and the joker,
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can binwalk the firmware file; you can use the fmk to extract the contents of the file to examine; you can inspect the webUI using the tools included in your browser for clues. It's either a javascript or a function in the underlying code somewhere. This is why the FSF and many developers and other folks out there wish hardware vendors would publish their source code and make it open source. If I had the entire development tree of source code for this device's firmware specifically, it would make it much easier to figure it out. I don't know if it's a generic across-the-board feature / function as I don't know who did the firmware development (CyberTAN, Foxconn, etc.). Good luck.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
mrocha2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know, but I think that this algorithm is not used just in my device, who can do a specific algorithm to use just in this cheap and fetid router? :D No makes sense, I have the impression that this algorithm is used in several devices, and possible in all F3 versions, maybe I'm wrong, I'm ignorant, but I think so. As The Joker said above this router is just "two kicks and a slap" the objective is to burn the minimum amount of money to make the firmware, and a specific algorithm cost money, for a "one kick and half slap" router? :D
mrocha2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to prove my theory, in my first post I posted this link:

https://github.com/irondsd/system/blob/master/RouterCfm.cfg

But this is not my config, I just made a search on google for "#Please don't change this file by hand @". This config of this link is of a router model N301 look at the line "BOARD_NAME=N301_V2.0", my router export this line "BOARD_NAME=F3_V2.0".

So this algorithm seem be used in several "half slap" routers, I think that is used possibly in all F3 versions.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking at that file after sorting the lines alphabetically, there's no sense in bothering. There is nothing in the nvram variables that you can do anything useful with as best I can tell.

mrocha2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't want do anything incredible, I pay a WISP in a very little city, that allow me connect just with one wifi card included in the plan, I can connect just with a specific MAC and a specific Host Name, so I just need to change this two settings on router, so I can use my internet plan with more devices. Is just it!
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wink You could have lead with that rather than trying to figure out the config nonsense. TBH I could have asked, and did not.

So you need to spoof the specific MAC, with stock firmware is not going to happen quite that easily, likely there are values are stored on the boot code whatever it is, some routers use cfe, others uboot, no idea what your tenda uses, if the interface doesnt allow it, likely thats the situation, and if you edited the config maybe it would work maybe it would just fail you will find out.

You would need find out and dump that keep it as a backup, edit the boot code specific entry and reflash, but... you may end up with a nice paperweight, so hence keeping a backup to reflash is a must do step.

Now DD-WRT allows you to spoof/alter MACs for all its interfaces.

Ive already said what I think you should do with your tenda, its your time anyway, besides its a good learning experience if nothing else.

If it were me, I would just plug that ISP wifi card, if it has a Ethernet port and plug it into the tendas WAN port, then plug your devices into the tenda.

Wouldn't that work? What card is it? maybe theres a better/faster solution to your problem.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the V2 is the same hardware as the V1, it's a Broadcom, which uses CFE. If the stock firmware has no MAC clone feature, there is no nvram variable outside of et0macaddr present and the only possible related anything from the linked file are:

https://github.com/irondsd/system/blob/master/RouterCfm.cfg#L145
Quote:
rltk_wlan_macclone_enable=0

https://github.com/irondsd/system/blob/master/RouterCfm.cfg#L184
Quote:
wan0_macclone_mode=default

mrocha2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Now DD-WRT allows you to spoof/alter MACs for all its interfaces.

All routers should have this in my opinion, the comercial firmwares is a shame

Quote:
Ive already said what I think you should do with your tenda,

I don't have the knowledge to do it, have a great chance of I end with a rebranded "half slap" paperweight. :D

Quote:

If it were me, I would just plug that ISP wifi card, if it has a Ethernet port and plug it into the tendas WAN port, then plug your devices into the tenda.

Is just a rebranded cheap USB card, in this case I need to keep my PC turned on 24 hours and plug the PC on Tenda.

Reply to dale_gribble39

My router export the lines:

et0macaddr= MAC clone should be here?

rltk_wlan_macclone_enable=0 or 1?

wan0_hwaddr= here is the original MAC right?

fw_info=V5.110.27.21

wan0_hostname= Half Slap_Tenda_Router

BOARD_NAME=F3_V2.0

So my router is a Realtek for sure (rltk), and have internally MAC Clone and Host Name settings right?

Last edited by mrocha2 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 16:12; edited 1 time in total
mrocha2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to make clear, this router have WISP mode and MAC Clone natively on WEB UI, in really I need just set the Host Name, because this WISP router don't have the common Host Name setting on WEB UI.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Visuals would help; screenshots of the webUI. Even stock Linksys firmware and others will allow you to change the hostname.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: