[SOLVED] Asking for a friend. 350 wired clients.

ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:01    Post subject: [SOLVED] Asking for a friend. 350 wired clients. Reply with quote
I have a friend who needs a router capable of handling 350 wired clients. He found out the hard way that normal consumer routers can not, with stock firmware.
First thing I thought of was of course dd-wrt, but I have never come close to that many clients. He did not specify if wireless is needed, but I am sure he as dedicated AP's available.
Any suggestions, or should he buy some commercial router?

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nevermind, he decided to pay for 5 IP addresses and put two routers from the first switch...
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the speed of the outgoing Internet Link?

An x86 computer would be a good choice.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 for x84 x64, you will need a great deal of CPU processing and plenty RAM for this to work decently well after a certain amount of devices, idk however if there is a limit DD-WRT side on how many wired machines you can assign static leases to, the regular budget consumer routers wont be able even DD-WRT side.

Definitely needs to have many switches to accomodate these machines and I recommend managed switches so you/your friend has more control over them.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
"350 wired clients" thats not for SOHO router..although on R7800(XR500) or R9000(XR700) those Netgears have a good amount of ram..and specs...the theoretical max in single subnet in ddwrt is 255...(if im not wrong on the recent builds those are held by two subnets now)

for 350 clients deff DDWRT x86 or x64 PC or any other enterprise stuff...(i would prefer DDWRT Razz )

In the past, i did few offices (for friends) with R7800 and they ware ok, but with 20-30 wired only...well + wifi, so a but more DHCP..and it was ok...in fact my R9000 is in the big office with sometimes up to 70-80 wifi clients..

You just have to fiddle with DNSmasq settings to support more Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries...otherwise DNSmasq will stall...and some other settings like static on jffs, so your nvram will be able to handle the stuff...too and ect.

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:19; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, I dont advice any commercial routers, especially Cisco anything, mostly they are just as terrible at firmware updates especially after warranty runs out, so anything you can install opensource solutions router side are desired IMO.

Also managed switches but I already mentioned those. Unmanaged wont cut it IMO for certain configs where managing specific ports and traffic.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you all for your input. It seems (gathering information on social media), he was consolidating two of his crypto farms into his warehouse (where electricity is a co-op e.g cheaper). No idea what two routers he went with, or what his speed is, or ISP is. But sure pay for 5 IP's a month when you need two.

Way back when cable internet first started, I did installs on the computer side at customers homes. Back then they charged 20 bucks a month for each additional IP. Yeah it was a long time ago, but that is when I found WinGate (probably not around anymore).

Spectrum - 1000/50
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
You dont need even two IPs or one or any, why would you need IPs? DDNS FTW.

IDK why your friend is researching any of this on unsocial media, its like asking monkeys to type a 1000 page manuscript that is accurate and makes sense. Sure one of them may not actually be a monkey but an IT professional.

Anyway, you are pointed in right direction with x86 x64 router running opensource that is updated regularly and managed switches.

Marking as solved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: