Active Client list doesn't drop inactive clients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
noobletoid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 19:05    Post subject: Active Client list doesn't drop inactive clients Reply with quote
Hardware: TP-LINK Archer C7, V5
DD-WRT Build: 49268, 49139, 44715

I found this thread which accurately describes the problem.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329248.

Based on the fact it was not solved, and that I am using an Atheros processor, I have to make an educated guess that this is a DD-WRT issue which is not processor specific. Additionally, the other poster's issue was with wireless clients, mine is with both wired and wireless.

I would suggest reading through the previously mentioned forum either before or after reading this post.

Here's the issue:

Under Status, then LAN, the Active Clients list does not update. It will add clients, but will not remove them when they are inactive. It used to update prior to installing the newest firmware(s). Inactive clients don't drop off the list any longer. I have attached a screenshot of my current list to this post. You can see several clients have no activity. Granted, it is only a day old, but the same thing happens if I leave it for a week or longer. I don't believe the list ever drops inactive clients, no matter how long the router is running. When I reverted to release 44715, the list updates (dropping inactive clients) in about 30 seconds to a minute.

I have observed this behavior under 49263 and 49139. Release 44715 behaves properly by dropping clients when they are inactive for too long.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a scripting fix for it that I haven't been able to find?
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it is related to dnsmasq, there's only been one commit since updating to v2.87test8 to fix CVE-2022-0934, but the last link shows other upstream commits.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/48657

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/search?q=dnsmasq

https://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=shortlog

The webUI has been under major overhaul, but checking myself, there does seem to be a point at which the information goes stale possibly. I leave further comment to the developer(s)/maintainer(s).

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
yea i remember that thing form long time ago...
by the way how long are your leases...a week...
mine's are 360min so, i guess the dhcp deamon hits and resets the active list...but i never bother to use that option...
for more accurate check use arp -a via ssh or telnet...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
noobletoid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
yea i remember that thing form long time ago...
by the way how long are your leases...a week...
mine's are 360min so, i guess the dhcp deamon hits and resets the active list...but i never bother to use that option...
for more accurate check use arp -a via ssh or telnet...

My defined leases using DNSMASQ are infinite for the most part. With release 49268, I have noticed today that, some inactive clients have dropped off the list. It definitely takes more time for them drop off the list than I would wish. Anything alive right now is on the active client list. It appears that I mostly need to be patient. Gone are the days when inactive clients dropped off the list in several minutes. I guess I'll get used to it. Thanks for the responses. It appears I was a bit premature in posting on the latest DD-WRT release.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
well...you can also fiddle with TCP & UDP port's closing time form administration page...mines are like TCP 360 / UDP 90...
i know those are low...but in heavy use environment...where people keep open 20-30 browser pages and the router sometimes has 40-50 clients at the time...and tons of other work going on and on around...i rather close inactive connections quite quick...in general. to have short DHCPd leases times and ports it wont hurt, ..I ve been using those for ages, no complains so far...
my DHCPd time is 360

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
dnsmasq is a 3rd party maintained project DD-WRT happens to use as a component, has anyone looked upstream to see if any such bugs have been reported or fixed, if not just consider reporting it there.

https://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 17:10    Post subject: Re: Active Client list doesn't drop inactive clients Reply with quote
noobletoid wrote:
Hardware: TP-LINK Archer C7, V5
DD-WRT Build: 49268, 49139, 44715

I found this thread which accurately describes the problem.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329248.

Based on the fact it was not solved, and that I am using an Atheros processor, I have to make an educated guess that this is a DD-WRT issue which is not processor specific. Additionally, the other poster's issue was with wireless clients, mine is with both wired and wireless.

I would suggest reading through the previously mentioned forum either before or after reading this post.

Here's the issue:

Under Status, then LAN, the Active Clients list does not update. It will add clients, but will not remove them when they are inactive. It used to update prior to installing the newest firmware(s). Inactive clients don't drop off the list any longer. I have attached a screenshot of my current list to this post. You can see several clients have no activity. Granted, it is only a day old, but the same thing happens if I leave it for a week or longer. I don't believe the list ever drops inactive clients, no matter how long the router is running. When I reverted to release 44715, the list updates (dropping inactive clients) in about 30 seconds to a minute.

I have observed this behavior under 49263 and 49139. Release 44715 behaves properly by dropping clients when they are inactive for too long.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a scripting fix for it that I haven't been able to find?

there is no issue. this is wanted. imagine how i can measure the used bandwidth per mac address if i just drop them immediatly after they disappear. this is only a visual effect and has nothing todo with the arp table itself. the clients get dropped after 24 hours from gui if there is no activity. and i say it again "from gui". builds like 44xxx did not measure the bandwidth per mac address. this is the feature which requires the keeping of the entries for a much higher timeout

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gents:

Thanks for the responses.

BrainSlayer, thanks for the concise response. I see the logic in how the interface now works and I appreciate the thinking behind it. Hopefully, this thread is easily found by any others who perceive a bug which is really increased functionality. At a glance, I see where my bandwidth goes, nice feature.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your feedback brought about some changes for the next release:
blkt wrote:
Also, Active Clients thread has brought about new changesets, toggle old behavior.

More things to "look out for" when configuring the device.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
noobletoid wrote:
Gents:

Thanks for the responses.

BrainSlayer, thanks for the concise response. I see the logic in how the interface now works and I appreciate the thinking behind it. Hopefully, this thread is easily found by any others who perceive a bug which is really increased functionality. At a glance, I see where my bandwidth goes, nice feature.

i wrote some code yesterday to restore the old behaviour. but it will also consider to be configurable

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for the responses. I appreciate that I will be able to configure the time interval behavior for dropping inactive clients in upcoming releases.
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 23:59    Post subject: Re: Active Client list doesn't drop inactive clients Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

there is no issue. this is wanted. imagine how i can measure the used bandwidth per mac address if i just drop them immediatly after they disappear. this is only a visual effect and has nothing todo with the arp table itself. the clients get dropped after 24 hours from gui if there is no activity. and i say it again "from gui". builds like 44xxx did not measure the bandwidth per mac address. this is the feature which requires the keeping of the entries for a much higher timeout

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but based on your explanation, the list of Active Clients should grow monotonically for at least the first 24 hours after reboot before the first entry would roll off if it has been inactive for >=24 hours.

However, I have the latest r49531/r49532 build installed (on my Netgear r6700v3) and the list of Active Clients jumps up and down in length minute-to-minute even though it has been less than an hour since I rebooted (and only a couple of hours since upgrading).

What am I missing?

(also, is there any way to reset the BW counters either globally or even better also on an individual MAC address level?)

(and as a feature request, it would be really cool if you could click on an individual MAC address and see a graph of the bandwidth usage over the past 24 hours)

Thanks for all the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: