How to disable Bandwidth module ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 20:12    Post subject: How to disable Bandwidth module ? Reply with quote
Actually I have the TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v. 1.5. I try to found hint for disable bandwidth measurer. This module is exist in GUI. When I will disable it then save sources of device. I think that useless feature for me. If you can please give me tutorial how to disable it.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Status -> WAN page at the bottom should be a delete button, option missing if ttraff disabled.

Services -> Services -> WAN Traffic Counter -> ttraff Daemon -> Disable -> Save -> Reboot
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
just disable it a reboot isnt needed every time a setting is changed

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does he mean by bandwidth measurer the ttraff counter? Cause the later can be disabled the former not.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good question, does bandwidth measurer refer to Status -> LAN -> Active Clients?

Also, Active Clients thread has brought about new changesets, toggle old behavior.
thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have plan to disable Bandwidth Monitoring - Status_Bandwidth.asp module. In my opinion this feature waste sources of device. It's possible to disable it ? I know it's inpossible via GUI, but may be is other method ? I have idea to enhance functions in GUI and add that option. It will be very useful.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simply do not visit Status_Bandwidth.asp (Status -> Bandwidth).
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
thommy181 wrote:
I have plan to disable Bandwidth Monitoring - Status_Bandwidth.asp module. In my opinion this feature waste sources of device. It's possible to disable it ? I know it's inpossible via GUI, but may be is other method ? I have idea to enhance functions in GUI and add that option. It will be very useful.

Disabling the underlying functions which make this feature work will break other things.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
thommy181 wrote:

You can remove it, though Im not sure what you call resource wasting.

Bandwidth.asp is powered by a dynamic svg which is driven by JavaScript. The Asp page is 2.5KB large and the svg itself icluding the JS is 10.8KB large

So you would save absolutely 13.3KB uncompressed if you downloaded to your desktop, in dd-wrt is optimized and if you consider how efficient DD-WRT's compression algorithm is and that these asp and svg are both text and compresses really really really well, by the time you have wasted hours to save less than 13.3KB, actually less than half that, you would gain nothing for flash space or any resources like free ram or cpu resources, since if you do not visit the page, it may as well not exist.

But please, go ahead, you are free to crack open the firmware and remove the asp page, the svg and the menu entry Im sure there is some wiki entry who tells you how to modify the firmware image.

The only side effect of removing it, is when you click on an interface, you would get nothing, since it is used only outside the page as a single entry to monitor the link, nothing else.

Sorry If I dont paste the link, but today I took a break from being a search engine replacement Wink

Not long ago we booted milkfish from the FW, it was more than half a dozen files far bigger than 6 bandwidth.asp and svgs together, after compiling the size of the firmware was the same exactly due to the efficiency of the compression algorithm.

Good luck.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I'm only wrote one simple question. If not possible to easy disable this function it's not big problem for me. I did not attack any person and I don't now how long is files of that feature. If it's not easy for providers I leave it alone.
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
thommy181 wrote:
Ok, I'm only wrote one simple question. If not possible to easy disable this function it's not big problem for me.

An option to disable is possible, but adding options for one person only is counter productive.
But now you know this is not actually going to save you any resources on your device, given the total size of the feature, and disabling will be the same as leaving it enabled resources wise, assuming you dont use the feature.

thommy181 wrote:
I did not attack any person and I don't now how long is files of that feature. If it's not easy for providers I leave it alone.

I dont think anyone has thought you attacked anyone or that anyone has attacked you, I think however there is a small communication barrier and this barrier however small it is large enough to have misunderstandings, everything is fine from my end. Wink

I tried explaining and showing you the actual size of this feature and that disabling it via option will not save you any resources.

Even removing it altogether you will not gain anything noticeable.

If you have any doubts about my explanation due to any language barrier possibilities, let me know and Ill try to make my language simpler, but, you can always put this long replies into google translate if it helps you.

If you still want to go ahead and remove this, see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Development and the firmware modification kit part. Please understand this wiki entry maybe outdated and its nott something I am familiar with or ever used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: