[SOLVED] Is my Netgear R7000 defective?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 17:00    Post subject: [SOLVED] Is my Netgear R7000 defective? Reply with quote
My R7000 (starring DD-WRT r49081, Wireless disabled, PCs connected with LAN) is connected to my ISP provided ADSL modem with WAN Interface.
The R7000 receives a WAN IP and I'm able to access the internet.

Problems started 3 weeks ago.

Sometimes packets get lost from LAN to WAN.
During multiple video meetings the picture froze every now and then. No data is sent or received during this event.
The Task manager and also the Router Bandwith in Webif show a cut in the graph presenting the throughput.
Trying to play games with my friends resulted in rubberbanding, voicechat being distorted for one or two seconds and so on. No fun.
Seemingly some kind of burst error events on my line?

Continuous pings towards WWW showed timeout the very same second a freeze happened. on a thousand pings roughly 20 to 1xx would be lost.
Continuous pings towards a machine in my lan did not show any problem at all.

I got in contact with my ISP, they measured the line and mentioned errors --> a service engineer needed to work for 2+ hours.
He ensured me to have fixed everything.
The problem still persisted.

I got in contact with my ISP again. They measured the line, told me to fuck off "everything is fine, maybe your equipment is faulty" and thats it.
The problem still happening I decided to switch out the R7000 with a spare WRT1900 ACSv2 (starring DD-WRT r49139).

And the problem seems to be gone... at least I'm able to game without rubberbanding, also no pings are lost.

Maybe the problem isn't on my ISPs end?
Maybe the R7000 got too hot?
Or is this a sign of the power supply failing?
Anyone here got an idea?
The next meeting is sceduled in four weeks... so nothing to test beside games and pings.

Last edited by Zyxx on Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:01; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
How is your SFE setup. I had trouble with my R7000 and R6300v2 units when set to CTF and CTF&FA...I would get wifi phone calls disconnection randomly and I'd also get horrible streaming reliability.

Set it to SFE and Disabled....and see if thing improve for you.

redhawk

sfe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.36 KB
 Viewed:  2141 Time(s)

sfe.jpg

Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you @redhawk0!

I forgot to mention that I already altered the settings regarding WAN.
SFE was disabled.
I enabled it to no avail.
Also CTF didn't change anything.

AND the longer I roll this train of thoughts arround in my head: I also had an external USB SSD connected to it . Never tested what its like without it.
*thinking*
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
So they spent 2 hours and fixed everything and then blame it on the equipment without checking it.... Presumably.

So, to me, F*** your ISP with a big raw covered in bark stick. YEa I know the asterisks mean uck or UCK, and Im not opposed to typing the word altogether but *UCK them HARD. Lol

If you told me support went out to someone who was more concerned about eating a curry in a hurry then doing their job, I would be laughing and giggling for hours.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wink
Why are you not using our device as Router?
Why can't I access its statistics?

--> I bought this Router myself and set it to "modem only".

This is where the Hotline started to blame my equipment.
Cause only their device is able to function.
Not mine...
I tried to covince him but to no avail.

Nevermind.
I'm going to take this R7000 into our laboratory, the next time I'm in office.
Renew thermal paste, measure its power supply under load. I refuse to release it of its duty, yet!

Strange thing. Never read of this kind of issue with failing hardware :/
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep ive seen hardware to die....it could be from slow death to sudden...and yep R7000 performance very Power SU dependant...
it could be the WAN port itself too...
as we dont know your full set up in details(remove the sensitive data) this is half a job...half a help Laughing
get the unit a nice check and check the PSU and replace it...
you can open an measure some components inside as well try to put unit in WAP mode (google it) and see if its performance is still the same, that will eliminate the WAN port issue if its performance downgrades again
Rolling Eyes

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
The laws surrounding ISP provided equipment are changing in some countries, until they do everywhere, they can demand you use their provided equipment as per your service terms and conditions which forms a legal/binding contract when you sign up for their service, and depending what contract says, they can even deny you service and cancel it, but there are ways around them finding out what you have connected.

You can fully spoof the MAC address of the modem on the WAN port of your DD-WRT router so that the ISP cannot tell what you have connected.

While it can be slightly complicated, consumer law and respective contract law has many protections to the consumer (depending which country you are in, these vary), I am well versed with respective European and UK consumer and related contract law.

It matters how you talk to these people and which specific contract (terms and conditions) sections you refer to using the legalese terminology and verbatim quotes from your binding contract and knowing what additional rights as a consumer you have that no contract can remove, it also matters that on any instance of contact you gather names of reps you talk to/dates/times and demand to be escalated from the 1st line customer service rep (which literally is a there to dissuade you from going further with your complaints while providing minimal help if any at all is provided) all the way up the ladder to the supervisor or section leader.

You wont get any real anything while dealing with 1st line reps mostcustomer service structures have 2nd/3rd line reps which are more technically versed, but the supervisor/section leader is the positions of actually affecting any real change.

If they give you grief, you can quote security to them as a reason to not use their equipment, and that their equipment is using outdated kernels/libraries and is vulnerable to attack, this is where they shoot themselves in the foot and cannot wriggle out of, because it is a universal truth about ISP provided equipment and all consumer grade routers for sale from <insert brand here>.

See https://fsfe.org/activities/routers/routers.en.html and https://sfconservancy.org/ which both are forwarding the right of consumers/developers in these areas.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
The laws surrounding ISP provided equipment are changing in some countries, until they do everywhere, they can demand you use their provided equipment as per your service terms and conditions which forms a legal/binding contract when you sign up for their service, and depending what contract says, they can even deny you service and cancel it, but there are ways around them finding out what you have connected.

You can fully spoof the MAC address of the modem on the WAN port of your DD-WRT router so that the ISP cannot tell what you have connected.

While it can be slightly complicated, consumer law and respective contract law has many protections to the consumer (depending which country you are in, these vary), I am well versed with respective European and UK consumer and related contract law.

It matters how you talk to these people and which specific contract (terms and conditions) sections you refer to using the legalese terminology and verbatim quotes from your binding contract and knowing what additional rights as a consumer you have that no contract can remove, it also matters that on any instance of contact you gather names of reps you talk to/dates/times and demand to be escalated from the 1st line customer service rep (which literally is a there to dissuade you from going further with your complaints while providing minimal help if any at all is provided) all the way up the ladder to the supervisor or section leader.

You wont get any real anything while dealing with 1st line reps most customer service structures have 2nd/3rd line reps which are more technically versed, but the supervisor/section leader is the positions of actually affecting any real change.

If they give you grief, you can quote security to them as a reason to not use their equipment, and that their equipment is using outdated kernels/libraries and is vulnerable to attack, this is where they shoot themselves in the foot and cannot wriggle out of, because it is a universal truth about ISP provided equipment and all consumer grade routers for sale from <insert brand here>.

See https://fsfe.org/activities/routers/routers.en.html and https://sfconservancy.org/ which both are forwarding the right of consumers/developers in these areas.

As the Joker is absolutely right...yes ISP modem suck ,their compatibility too...ive seen devices using DDWRT behaving differently with the same ISP modem for no reason, just like your case may be...

But, to complain to them that you don't trust their device due to security reasons...here in UK, if you try that, they will issue a prove of concept...and than if you prove them you can hack their device....than you are in a big troubles, unless you are not licenced Pen Tester, as they will investigate you...and if you have that knowledge you would replace their device silently....and not get in the mess of telling them the story they already know...be very careful what you tell the ISP, as it may hit you back... Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

My R7000 wasn't faulty. Problems reapeared a few hours after the spare WRT 1900 ACS v2 of mine was in place.

Despite my ISP telling me "The error is on your end, stupid" I asked my neighbours. They all suffered from the same phenomenom.
Someone knew a technician and asked him for a favor.
One day later -now- everything is resolved.
Cause:
Capacity fault, the main cable suffers from damage / our wires were almost shorted.
The technician was able to change our lines to better ones.
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Incredible, what nice support experience, definitely a recommended ISP, not!

Glad it was solved in the end, eventually. Wink

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know who's worse, the telcos or the cable tv companies. Undermaintained infrastructure always wreaks havoc.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: