[SOLVED] DHCP, VMs, switch ports, and Proxmox

marquin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 15:38    Post subject: [SOLVED] DHCP, VMs, switch ports, and Proxmox Reply with quote
kernel: Linux 4.4.241 #1327 SMP Tue Nov 3 09:06:16 +03 2020 armv7l
build: DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)
hardware: Asus RT-AC5300

Howdy, folks. I'm seeing some strange behavior from the DHCP server servicing my embedded switch. I have a Proxmox server attached to a switch port. Proxmox is configured for bridging with bridge IP assigned via DHCP. VMs mapped to that bridge have unique MAC addresses and are requesting addresses via DHCP also.

As the VMs boot the router is reassigning the same LAN IP address to each VM despite each of them having a distinct MAC. There's nothing in the logs which suggests, for instance, that the initial DHCP request is going out with the bridge MAC and thus that's the source of the re-used IP. Generally, there's nothing in the router logs nor in Proxmox logs to suggest that either is unhappy with the DHCP process though clearly the VMs end up not being happy about the situation.

I dug into STP settings and didn't see anything special that needed to be set on the router to allow for multiple MAC addresses on a single switch port.

VLANs are enable neither on the router nor on the Proxmox server. I have the option to store MAC addresses in NVRAM turned off because it seems to prevent the WAN port on the router from getting a DHCP address from ISP for some undetermined region.

Any thoughts? At this point I'm considering just virtualizing the firewall/router as a work-around because this has me pretty baffled.

Thx
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum.

You are using an old and outdated build (not that I think that that is the problem but you never know)

Current build is 49197

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

The router just uses DNSMasq to hand out DHCP addresses unless you altered the default settings, so it might be something in the setup of the VM's?

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
marquin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
BUT NEVER EVER USE THE ROUTER DATABASE.

Alrighty then! lol

I'll try a newer version and see where that gets me just in case. Stand by...
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
do a reset after upgrade and reconfigure by hand, and also clear the browser cache with ctrl+f5 on the routers pages so the improved UI will come through.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
marquin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
New firmware hasn't resolved.

I'll have to "schedule some downtime" for the hand re-configure as my config is fairly complicated and has evolved over quite some time.

I'll post up here with status/resolution as things develop.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, try adding the following to the Additional DNSMasq Options field on the Services page of the DD-WRT router.

Code:
dhcp-sequential-ip

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
marquin wrote:
New firmware hasn't resolved.

I'll have to "schedule some downtime" for the hand re-configure as my config is fairly complicated and has evolved over quite some time.

I'll post up here with status/resolution as things develop.

Sorry to read that Sad

I forgot to mention you could have dumped the config to text file for reference, and grabbing file to desktop or your preferred location.

Code:
nvram show > /tmp/sombkp-id.txt

The above tip is now included in the backup tab within the routers built in help pages as well since Im giving the English strings a much needed once over, I added new stuff.

But if you have a previous backup there is a tool for reading it https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17605 idk if it still works, havent used it myself.

NVRAM has had settings removed lately (along with the respective obsolete UI entries) and more to come the cob webs are being addressed (as a side effect/result of my strings/pages layout fixes), so I dont recommend restoring the .bin backup but you can use it for reference also if needed.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Sat Jun 18, 2022 17:42; edited 1 time in total
marquin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 17:32    Post subject: Solved! /etc/machine-id! Reply with quote
Solved!

The machines were deployed from VM template and had the same /etc/machine-id value. The DHCP server was using machine-id/client-id over the MAC address when assigning IPs and thus the overlaps.

FWIW, I noticed this by looking at dd-wrt's /tmp/dnsmasq.leases file while rebooting the VMs and then looking up the meaning of the data in each field.

Thanks for the help, folks! So glad this is resolved and I can continue the automation I'm working on!
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Marking as solved.

Glad you sorted it out Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: