WNDR3400v1 Strange 2.4GHZ Wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
redpenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 17:13    Post subject: WNDR3400v1 Strange 2.4GHZ Wifi Reply with quote
I have been having one of the weirdest WiFi issues ever with my WNDR3400V1. I tried searching the forum and Google and found nothing like it.

When I have the original Netgear Firmware on it, it works as expected for an N-Router. Like 30-50mbit for 2.4GHZ and 60-90Mmbit for 5GHZ for my 100mbit Internet.

Now, the issue with the Netgear Firmware is, after a day or so, the 2.4GHZ will just stop responding, especially for my smart home products. It then requires an entire reboot of the device.

So I put DD-WRT Mini 2022-06-10 on it, hoping that would help get rid of that frustrating bug.

Now the weird part is, even at default settings, the 2.4GHZ goes crazy with DD-WRT.

For some reason, my Onn 4K Android TV device will only pull like 1-3mbit out of it while my iOS device will put like 20-50 out of it. It seems the ping/jitter has increased also.

The 5GHZ seems mainly unaffected from what I can tell with original or DD-WRT firmware.

I have tried everything from lowering the TX power, disabling WMM, and many other settings. I tried the obvious like different channels, 20 vs 40MHZ, nothing.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you have a hardware failure?

Try a K3X build, usually they are better:
dd-wrt.v24-49197_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNDR3400.chk

*After* upgrade reset to defaults, put settings in manually never restore form a backup (to a different build)

Recommended wireless settings:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
especially current and the next build... nvram dropped 1 var in current and on next public will drop another.
cobs webs being cleared.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
twindragon6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 17:35    Post subject: Site Survey Tool Reply with quote
Check for interference from neighboring networks and channels as well. You might be getting really bad cross-talk.

https://www.metageek.com/inssider/
redpenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the K3.x on, I am getting even better results from devices like my iOS Device.

For some reason, my Onn 4K Box still isn't liking either the 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ network totally even though other devices are working perfectly with them.
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the twidragon's note, I use a nifty opensource android app for the same job, works better for me since I dont have a desktop with wifi and my mobile is easier to walk around with

https://vremsoftwaredevelopment.github.io/WiFiAnalyzer/
and if you wanna audit code https://github.com/VREMSoftwareDevelopment/WiFiAnalyzer

It also collects no user data and therefore there is nothing to share with anyone.

redpenguin wrote:
For some reason, my Onn 4K Box still isn't liking either the 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ network totally even though other devices are working perfectly with them.

Upgrade its firmware or whatever it is it runs.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

redpenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have rebooted the Onn and it works perfectly on the 5GHZ again.

I did check various channels and moved them to where they are less crowded but it seems I can't find a completely free channel anywhere for 2.4GHZ.

I did get slightly more speed out of the 2.4GHZ on the Onn by rebooting it but strangely it still doesn't like it totally.

I am beginning to wonder if it's a weird issue with the Onn itself as on Reddit, people say they've had terrible luck at times with the 2.4GHZ on it and sometimes Bluetooth being near it can make it weird.

Strangely though, I don't know why the Onn doesn't really mind the original firmware's 2.4GHZ but doesn't really like DD-WRT's 2.4GHZ.
redpenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really do think that something hardware related was going on.

Even with DD-WRT, the 2.4GHZ light and Ethernet would never stop blinking, as if traffic was being used constantly, even when all devices were calm.

I just gave up and slapped in my backup EA6500.

I could not be happier. Even on 2.4GHZ, which I guess would be technically Wifi-N is getting speed's I've never seen before from any N Router that I had.

I'm seeing 60-70mbit from 2.4GHZ.

I'm seeing at least 90mbit from 5GHZ. It probably would go higher but my Internet is only 100mbit and my QoS was triggering.
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lights blinking means there is some broadcast going on, even when devices are idle or so you think, there is always something going on, you can monitor this within your network to confirm. Everytime you mention this Onn I cringe wondering what the heck it maybe transmitting without you knowing.

In any case lights blinking isnt an issue its just lights.

Now re: your problems with 2.4Ghz with the other router, have you stopped to think perhaps your wifi setup wasn't optimal? Obviously you did not.

Consider this https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595 it works very well.

Also you Onn whatever that is, still should get a firmware/OS upgrade, because sometimes these random android boxes just have crappy drivers and firmware's to begin with.

I wonder what FW version you have on it and if you read this https://9to5google.com/2021/09/11/walmart-onn-android-tv-box-update-august-2021/ or if there have been more recent Firmware upgrades, I would recommend it.

Both your routers are Broadcom, I would understand if the EA6500 would have been an atheros which by default has better driver support, but its not.

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Onn is Walmart's store brand of electronics du jour. It's likely a TV and I suspect that firmware updates for it are probably lacking or few and far between.

https://worstbrands.com/onn-tv-problems/

https://9to5google.com/2022/02/15/walmart-android-tv-box-january-2022-update/

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
redpenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did try everything in that post about WiFi.

It did seem that even with DD-WRT on it, over time it would randomly stop accepting 2.4 clients.
foreverforgotten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps post all your settings for basic + advanced for the 2.4 GHz interface configuration? dd-wrt enables you to have precise control over your wifi settings but at the expense of you learning and experimenting with the settings.

For example, on mine I initially had issues with my 2x 5GHz bands overlapping on their channels, so one SSID would be visible to most clients, but other would only be visible to a select few, usually those within feet of the router.

And even then, performance (in terms of throughput) was poor on those networks.

Through research/experimentation I eventually found the basic + advanced configuration that worked well for me and achieved the performance I expected. Sometimes setting changes didn't take for me until I did a full reboot of the router during initial setup, especially as I was tinkering with all the knob/dials.

Vendor firmware already has all the settings dd-wrt exposes tuned to specific values. But with dd-wrt you have to learn how to control them yourself.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Wireless_Settings

The above links provide recommended settings that deviate from the defaults. But also search the forums for your router to see if anyone has recommended values that differ.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use this edit of the Basic Wireless Settings wiki. Most of the edits after that doesn't apply to Broadcom (driver specs).
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
redpenguin wrote:
I did try everything in that post about WiFi.

It did seem that even with DD-WRT on it, over time it would randomly stop accepting 2.4 clients.

You can easily setup a cron job to restart the radios or the interfaces rather at a time when network is mostly idle like overnight or at a similar time during the day. Depends how many hours going between the issues you noticed.

That's the fastest workaround. while on the other end especially Broadcom side where drivers are closed source, so fixing bugs is way harder since as I understand it their code is spaghetti. Blame Broadcom not DD-WRT, these days cant even blame Broadcom since they sold their Wireless division to someone else. I don't think the new owners are very opensource friendly either. I would venture a guess... If they have audited the drivers source code, "they" likely would be opening themselves to (my guess, cof cof, cant stress that enough, in case they come try sue me.) law suits from other vendors, were the source to be made public for everyone to see.

TBH on mine its solid and reliable also Broadcom. But OK to be fair, I flash 2 to 4 test builds a day (most days) so I cant compare with a setup that is likely upgraded once in a blue moon and has long uptimes.

Lat time I had a hiatus it was 2 months from late December 2021 to Early March 2022, my wifi was on 24/7 with a long uptime but I wasnt monitoring the devices 24/7 and I always use static IP assignments anyway.

Also consider using 20 MHz Channel Width for 2.4 Ghz band instead of Wide HT40 40 MHz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: