SOLVED ...ea8500 Missing Wireless tab in GUI.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
The instruction was actually to copy the contents of the partition to /tmp/mtd8.bin
and then copy the file /tmp/mtd8.bin on the PC

I can copy the mtd8 file to the temp file on the router but still the same error when I try and copy to my pc

DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use scp or something.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really very simple to dd any MTD part you want to a USB flash drive plugged into the EA8500 then you have it Wink
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that sounds simple. I`m glad you told me that. I been at this 2 days trying to figure it out. Would you be so kind to give me the command. Thanks mrjcd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
here is somepin I done few years ago showing somebody something
https://mrjcd.com/junk/dd-wrt/WNDR3700v4/MTD_parts/

The 'readme' in that directory is the actual stuff I done... that is on the WNDR3700v4 but it is the exact same concept ----

prolly be a miracle if you get the old EA8500 working correctly ...then again they are tough ol birds
Twisted Evil

best of luck ..I gotta get on the road for a bit now Cool
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
WinSCP to copy mtd8.bin directly from /tmp to your PC after file creation (dd if=/dev/mtd8 of=/tmp/mtd8.bin).

Can be done to backup each file for any or all mtd partititions, just change numbers, or not, but it is very easy.
servicetech wrote:
If cat /proc/mtd shows "art" on mtd8 you should first create a backup on the busybox shell with
dd if=/dev/mtd8 of=/tmp/mtd8.bin
Transfer bin file to your pc, the size should be the same as the art mtd8 you want to flash
You should do same with other mtd flash partitions you want to save.
use WinSCP to copy the new mtd8.bin to /tmp in the faulty units tmp
then do mtd -f write /tmp/mtd8.bin mtd8
wait some minutes that flashing is finished before rebooting

I hope there is no typo in the steps, the owners of this hardware should be able to verify if I'm not wrong before you proceed

I do not see any typos but it would not hurt to specify path /dev/mtd8 (mtd -f write /tmp/mtd8.bin /dev/mtd8).
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would seem obvious that the OP does not have very much Linux console experience, which is all good and fine. Please, no offence intended. I think we are assuming too many Linux shell basics that many of us understand, but also most do not. Regarding ssh and sftp/scp. I use these on a daily basis, so it's easy, but for someone who has never used it, it could get complicated.

Step by step, taken from this thread from various authors:
1. ssh into your router with putty.
2. Run the command:
Code:

dd if=/dev/mtd8 of=/tmp/mtd8.bin

3. Run WinSCP on your Windows computer and log into the router using its IP address.
4. In the WinSCP window, go to /tmp folder. Download mtd8.bin to your PC. You could also upload the mtd8.img file that I sent you at this point. You have to do that anyway at some point.
5. Compare the size of the file you just grabbed from the router with the file I sent you. They should be the same.
6. If all looks good, issue the command on the router:
Code:

mtd -f write /tmp/File_I_Sent_U.img mtd8

5. Wait at least one minute after the flash completes, then reboot.
6. Check your wifi to see if working.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:

Wait at least one minute after the flash completes, then reboot...

I would personally wait some minutes for the write to complete (just for shure)

@ramblin You need to change into the /tmp folder inside WinSCP. You need to download the file mtd8.bin that is inside the /tmp folder after you did the
dd if=/dev/mtd8 of=/tmp/mtd8.bin on putty
Do not reboot the router until you copied the mtd8.bin file to your pc!
Enshure that you do NOT select the /dev/mtd8 folder in WinSCP this will show the scp error "/dev/mtd8 not a regular file"
If you are able to copy the file onto your pc you can reboot router it will cleanup the /tmp folder.
Next extract the mtd8-art.img.zip from lexridge on your pc
you should now get a file mtd8-art.img
The size of this file should match the with your backup file mtd8.bin. If true proceed
Use Winscp to copy mtd8-art.img file into the faulty routers /tmp
then do on putty
mtd -f write /tmp/mtd8-art.img /dev/mtd8
Wait some minutes and reboot router.
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to lexridge and servicetech (and everyone else) for walking me thru this. Your right, I`m not very skillful in linux commands. I`ve become familiar with WinSCP and Putty and was able to download the faulty mtd8 file to my desktop. Size is correct and been trying to load the img file provided with no luck. I even changed the .img with .bin (since what I pulled was a bin file), changed the commands also but get the same message. When I WinSCP/root/ Dev or Proc the MTD files are still in there but if I do putty cat/proc/mtd its a blank page. Don`t know what this means. I do have backups. Is it possible my router is a newer version that makes things harder ? I read a lot. I notice also an "unlock" command in mtd. Is this anything I can use? If you guys will keep working with me I got nothing to loose and 2 other good ea8500s to copy files from, now, thanks to you guys I know how. Here are pics of everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are not finding any of the mtd mount points because of a typo. Your screenshot shows that you used #cat/proc/mtd instead of #cat /proc/mtd. Try again and check your results.

Not sure about the second error during the flash. This part is all new ground for me too. Hopefully just a permissions or syntax correction, which is easy.

Also, it doesn't matter whether or not it's a .bin or a .img file. As long as you specify the file, mtd doesn't care. It pretty much assumes YOU know what you are doing.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="lexridge" You are not finding any of the mtd mount points because of a typo.[/quote]

Thanks, Its all there like its supposed to be

[/quote]It pretty much assumes YOU know what you are doing.[/quote]

Yea....., We all know where I`m at.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
mtd unlock /dev/mtd8
then try again (shrug).

This assumes no HW fail,
maybe original mtd8 OK.
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Solved my "missing wireless tab", well , sort of solved it. After chasing the idea of erasing and writing to a MTD block (even sought advice on my Linux group on that one) I reverted back to Linksys factory firmware with the idea of using the Linksys GUI and keep reverting to an earlier version. Some on the OpenWRT forum have had some success fixed some issues that way. Never got very far back, only to 1.1.8.185832 and noticed my wireless was working. I now have a perfect functioning ea8500 on factory firmware. NEW Problem. When I connect up my serial converter, I get instant garbled putty output. I mean really garbled with the router OFF ! To narrow it down further when I hookup my TX from the TTL to the RX on the board. Before you even hook up the ground or RX or turn it on. Its like the ground is missing now. I tried grounding to the screw pad with no change. And hitting any key will not stop it. Seems some hardware failure somewhere. I may have caused this myself since I have checked my solder connections so much. Added a header, removed the header. Refilled the holes with solder. Still instant garbled output. I need another way to retry DD-WRT without a serial connection!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ramblin wrote:
Never got very far back, only to 1.1.8.185832 .....I need another way to retry DD-WRT without a serial connection!

NOT gonna happen --- fix your serial mess and you might just save the EA8500
I installed DD-WRT on several EA8500 lately (newer boards without the serial header pins)... never soldered a single thang.
Last one I just done had header holes filled with solder almost --- making it easy to hold serial connection on correct place without slipping. It is a bit tendious cause you then have to do all else with one hand. It would be a very simple task if you had a trusted friend to hold serial connections in place while you told the EA8500 to fetch firmware from a TFTP server.
Just a thought --- I never liked messing with the main board anyways AND last one I done I only had a 3 yrold Grandson to help Rolling Eyes ... It was all I could do to keep him outta the way while I got DD-WRT installed ....it's doable ---just put some simple thought to it.
FIRST make sure your USB/TTL is in working order Cool
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea, I`ll never solder in a header again. I`m using long hemostats with a sewing needle clamped in the jaws. Sits on the table like a tripod with a few magnets on the end for weight. Clip on a jumper. Still got garbled output with it turned off. I think its been a hardware issue all along. I did test it for about a day on another setup. It runs fine but it could quit at anytime. Think I`m just gonna give it away and find another ea8500 for my WDS setup. No other way to upgrade to DD-WRT huh ?

Navigation

Jump to: