Linksys E2000 K3.X help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Pixel9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:58    Post subject: Linksys E2000 K3.X help Reply with quote
Hello,

I have a Cisco Linksys E2000. Currently on dd-wrt.v24-44715_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k

Can you help give me some advice on which build I should try? I would like to try a new K3.X one. Is there a specific recommended method for upgrading from k2.6 NV60 builds?

I followed some advice I received before in this thread but it led to a bricked router.

May I suggest to do the following:
Reset to defaults
upgrade to the K3.X mega build with the same version number 44715.
Reset to defaults after upgrading
Upgrade to 47282 (that is what I am using for my E2000 at the moment)

I was able to fix it using the TFTP method to the initial trailed build suggested in the wiki. dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2000

I’m sorry for this question but I have been reading through all the links and everything for about 6 days now and I don’t feel like I have the correct information. I am starting to feel more lost the more I read and re-read the published information and instructions. I know my router is an older one and I probably should go with a newer model maybe… but I’d like to use these E2000 ones as long as DD-WRT supports them.

There is a lot of conflicting information and seems to be a lot of missing information about what I can and can’t do with DD-WRT on my specific router. A couple examples of what I mean:

The wiki says if you flash anything other than K26NV60, you will brick your router. But then it says just right below that K3.x is available for this router but does not mention any specific information on a good upgrade path.

The Peacock thread does not mention K3.x at all. But it does tell you about a hundred different ways you can brick your router. It would be much more understandable and easier to do what we want with DD-WRT if we know the “correct thing to do” vs. “what not to do”.

In some cases it says to never use a mini “trailed build” again once DD-WRT is on it but then says in some unspecified cases you should use a mini trailed build to upgrade DD-WRT builds.

My question is… What is the correct way to upgrade to K3.x on my Linksys E2000? I would like to try the latest known stable build available for my router if there is one. I understand that all of the newer ones are “Testing” but would like to install a newer build in case any security vulnerabilities have been discovered and maybe a newer build has been released to mitigate. There isn’t enough information available to know for sure… Or if the information IS available, it is buried somewhere in the hundreds of pages of search results on the forum. I intend all of these comments as constructive criticism. From the perspective of a NOOB end user. I don't mean to be rude or insulting in any way at all and I am sorry if I sound like that to anyone. Is there a specific browser I should or shouldn’t use? DD-WRT is absolutely fantastic but it’s usefulness is somewhat lost in all of the confusion of the information.

I have been using DD-WRT on a Linksys E2000 for years. On my router, the Wifi is turned off. It serves as a VPN router. I don’t have anything that is public facing and I am not trying to access my internal network from outside. I am stationed overseas and I wanted to make a way for my whole network to be able to access things like Netflix or Disney+ without being blocked. I ran a script I found on the StrongVPN Wireguard setup page. It works beautifully. But I am interested in upgrades. And it has been a while since I have messed with this stuff and I’ve forgotten most of what I learned on how to do it correctly as I don't do this every day.

Thank you for your help!
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here it gives instructions how how to go from K2 to k3 https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000

Usually you need to flash the K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin and then the K3.x_mega.bin

But I read theres a kernel 4.x for that idk where that is, if its part of the K3 mega build or other file... It looks like its part of the K3 mega build according to wiki.

Wiki needs an update for sure, but alas, there's only 1 active person doing this who has login credentials.

But wait for someone to confirm this!!

I would wait until a new release of dd-wrt is out, the links above are for build r49049 which you cant save a nvram backup bug via (already fixed in dev tree) but works when saving the backup via CLI.

There are a gazillion security fixes for known exploits between your current build over two years old and DD-WRT's current, of that you can be assured. Generally speaking the minimum upgrade interval should be max 30 days, and thats already pushing it.

Never mind fixes and updates to everything DD-WRT related.

On that note whne you flash the latest DD-WRT build you should do a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure the router from scratch as well as clearing the browser cache CTRL+F5 on the page, to ensure the new UI loads properly.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Pixel9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your help!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obligatory additional information, but I have seen folks upgrade from older build k3.x to the k4.x images without much issue. Just be aware that you will likely have to do a hard reset after post-swconfig (current) release is flashed.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326249

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324506

Second link was never added to the list of references sticky.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mastaofdisastax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the linksys wrt320n, which is basically an E2000 with less memory. It's similar enough that other people have been able to convert it into an E2000 to gain access to the extra mem, although I never tried. With my wrt320n, I have had no trouble in the past switching back and forth between k2.6 and k3 builds, though that was back when k3 builds were released and I was comparing performance vs weighing security improvements. It's been a long long time since I've used a k2.6 build. I've been using the k3 builds, which are actually now k4, mislabled as k3, which *should* be fine on your router.

I would also recommend reset, flash, reset.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: