UI themes! preview/public builds BUG hunting REPORTING

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Duxa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you do any work with default GUI?

Is it possible to add a sorting (or manually move) option to Services -> Static Leases?

Issue I run into (maybe just me), is that as I add static leases over time I dont always add them sequentially. So after a while the list is unorganized mess. It would be nice if I could sort the list by ip (ascending/descending).
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Duxa wrote:

That's is pretty much all I do. There is no other UI, all of the UI is default.

Duxa wrote:
Is it possible to add a sorting (or manually move) option to Services -> Static Leases?

Issue I run into (maybe just me), is that as I add static leases over time I dont always add them sequentially. So after a while the list is unorganized mess. It would be nice if I could sort the list by ip (ascending/descending).

Understand, I use my free time to do what I do for DD-WRT. and there is a great deal of workload and improvements that take precedence over making someones live easier that doesn't help me achieve any of those preset goals and then there is real life and I have several other opensource projects that I maintain only by myself and they get neglected too often.

I will always welcome and encourage new contributions from other community members though, but tbh, I suggest for the time being you plan your topology and setup accordingly once and forget about -- it using your own free time to solve this problem. It is the same way I have solved my static leases for nearly 2 decades and its is and always been in order.

But could happen, just dont wait standing up Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Duxa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Duxa wrote:

That's is pretty much all I do. There is no other UI, all of the UI is default.

Duxa wrote:

Understand, I use my free time to do what I do for DD-WRT. and there is a great deal of workload and improvements that take precedence over making someones live easier that doesn't help me achieve any of those preset goals and then there is real life and I have several other opensource projects that I maintain only by myself and they get neglected too often.

I will always welcome and encourage new contributions from other community members though, but tbh, I suggest for the time being you plan your topology and setup accordingly once and forget about -- it using your own free time to solve this problem. It is the same way I have solved my static leases for nearly 2 decades and its is and always been in order.

But could happen, just dont wait standing up Wink

understood, a hacky way to do it could be to simply include a "sort" button which triggers the following script:

Code:
nvram set static_leases="`nvram get static_leases | sed 's/\([0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\)/.\1./g' | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -n -k2,2n -k3,3n -k4,4n -k5,5n -t. | tr '\n' ' ' | sed 's/\.\([0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\)\./\1/g' | sed 's/^ //'; echo`"
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Duxa wrote:
understood, a hacky way to do it could be to simply include a "sort" button which triggers the following script:

Code:
nvram set static_leases="`nvram get static_leases | sed 's/\([0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\)/.\1./g' | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -n -k2,2n -k3,3n -k4,4n -k5,5n -t. | tr '\n' ' ' | sed 's/\.\([0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\)\./\1/g' | sed 's/^ //'; echo`"

Very clever but, I dont think this will stick as is, there is no nvram commit command there, which means for instance that when the router refreshes (by default every 3 seconds) the sorting will revert unless committed to nvram, and even then, Im not sure if the how you implemented that, it is completely safe.

Historic on sorting: We have tables that are sortable, but sorting tables in a browser for ANY website on refresh gets lost, this is how browsers work, to make browsers do stuff that sticks, we would need cookies and storing site data, I dont like that and will never support that, because caching is the enemy I rather not fight more than already do as well as storing possible identifiable/sensitive info in a browser is something I dont support.

The router refreshes every 3 seconds, and even though you can disable dd-wrt refreshing, this causes other data to never update until user clicks the refresh button. So we are a bit stuck between undesired browser behaviors and what users expect.

For your purposes, assuming with nvram commit it sticks and survives refreshes, if I were you, I would a cron job, to run (e.g. every month/or your desired interval) and call this script btw, do not set script into the static_leases variable because this is where the leases are stored and the command will likely get wiped out, and tbh Im not sure this wont cause any other issues while its part of the static_leases variable, so dont recommend that.

I would expand the script, to include nvram commit after it runs and store in on USB/JFFS and setup cron to call this script at your desired interval.

You could further expand script, wack the sorting code into a function and create another function to check is leases are sorted and only run if they are not while also adding a self check via PID to ensure the script isnt already running and if it is kill duplicates and exit gracefully, and even perhaps some logging to syslog.

Including buttons to call hacks like that is not any ideal solution so it wont happen guaranteed, there already exists various mechanisms e.g. cron, startup scripts, USB scripts, firewall scripts that can all be used to trigger this for you, so you dont need the convenience of a button.

Very clever though even is a little too hacky for general consumption as is, need is the mother on ingenuity, so with a bit of a spit polish to the script with my suggestions to make it saner, you can even create a new thread ( I really think you should) and share the improved script with the community. Then if there is interest in this functiona from more than 1 or 2 people, it will be a good measure to decide if this should be implemented sooner rather than later in a proper way.

Take care now and thanks for the feedback and returning with a suggestion. I hope to see a new thread and the script evolve into something sane and stable and that sticks.

I really like your idea, and I hope to see it expanded in own thread.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Although the static leases GUI has been improved tremendously thanks to the-joker, many of us just add the static leases to the DNSMasq additional options e.g.:
Code:
dhcp-host=00:1B:A9:D5:AA:C3,192.168.0.99,Printer_HL2150,1440m

Especially if you have a lot of static leases it is just easier to save and restore them after a reset and you can save them to a spreadsheet and sort them like you want and copy them back.

You should be able to grab the current static leases you have already set with:
cat /tmp/dnsmasq.conf | grep dhcp-host

Problem solved Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:56; edited 1 time in total
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 for Additional DNSMASQ Option method.
Easier to sort, save, restore, and change.

GUI is better than before but still not as good.

Just my 2 cents.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I mentioned it to BS like I mention everything under the sun, sometimes he listens sometimes not, sometimes hes in the right mood.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/49137

Its untested, so.... I didn't do it.

Complaint department is closed until further notice.

Im up to my eyeballs with English strings and harcoded nonsense strings wise... I mean what did I expect when I pulled the top out of that can of worms... I was hoping for a naked sexy, teasing woman, but it turned out to be a fat hairy, sweaty guy.

I also love egc's out of the box thinking, while I personally use the regular static leases and its a planned topology/setup always in order, it is always welcome to see this kind of alternative. Just goes to show how flexible DD-WRT really is and why so many of us stick with it.

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router status page still shows IP Filter / P2P that was renamed on the Administration page. I know full well you're not finished, just a friendly reminder.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
As of latest commits this are should be fully resolved, both label names, defaults and help text entries for Network Stack Tuning section.

DD-WRT builds from 49424 onward should equally be resolved for Memory values before / after slash

To normalize, info.htm uses MiB for said values without progress bars and Status_router.asp uses KiB with Progress bars, IMO this should be all MiB for both consistency and simple novice user understanding at first glance, and necessary progress bar calculations, despite my personal preference it remains inconsistent, no further work has happened so far in this area, and not entirely sure if both representing values in MiB will work for progress bar calculations. So Im fine as is or both being KiB/MiB respectively or unchanged, personally one single measurement standard is ideal.

Next is remote access. A pet peeve, it makes no sense, telnet remote management is 100% insecure, and the IP ranges are for IPv4 only and dont account for IPv6 or DDNS or various tunnel solutions like VPN/SSH tunnels from client side.

Something other than current must happen for security/setup ease on the UI/UX side and only enabling certain dependent options when needed e.g. IP range or whatever it will be.

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the line I am referring to:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/kromo/dd-wrt/lang_pack/english.js#L2407
Quote:
status_router.net_maxports="IP Filter Maximum Ports";

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where is that shown? Which router shows that and where?

I only have RT-AC68U for testing, everything else is blind.

Currently Network Stack Tuning does not include that entry and Ive not searched source for where it shows. so hence the question.

The formula is simple, labels must be correct per functionality they provide and context in which they are presented.

A quick search GitHub side shows this https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/c74c847bf646b4ee0ad28159b7e638fc4e4cb12d/src/router/kromo/dd-wrt/Status_Router.asp#L224

See screenshot.

If that's it then it must be renamed also and thanks for pointing it out, many hands make hard work light.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.75 KB
 Viewed:  1282 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed, that is what I was pointing out, as you discovered for yourself.
Things can slip through the cracks if only one set of eyes, hands, and/or
ears are involved. <grin>

the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
As above then this is initial proposal

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/pull/258/files

Its never easy to catch everything in one go, this is why Git and the review process helps, but that doesn't happen in SVN.

Ideal situations being in short supply, at least your heads up is better than nothing.

Still all the foreign languages left lurching.

Thanks and appreciated.

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know why they initially considered it "ports" other than it's part of netfilter (ip_conntrack) in the network stack and each connection uses a tcp or udp port - that is my only guesstimation. That change will definitely suffice in clearing up the confusion and give some standardization. I'm hesitant to weigh in on the active clients issue. I've already pointed at what I surmise as part of the problem elsewhere.

the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is an issue not specific to this project, this happens in most opensource and even closed source projects no matter who is at the helm.

Beyond this, we have an interesting academic discussion only. As for the rest, I'm rather inclined to get standards up.

To that end, your contribution here is welcome and appreciated.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 22
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: