TL-WDR3600 v1.5 Slow WAN speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 14:58    Post subject: TL-WDR3600 v1.5 Slow WAN speed Reply with quote
Good, my device isn't expensive and high-end, but usally it was ~500 mbit/s on gigabit WAN interface. Currently I'm switch off ttraf feature. Users inform me about this function utilize hardware. After turned off it situation is unsatisfactory. At this moment I'm migrate to build from 05-31. Without improvement.

Moderator edit adding references to split thread

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1263844#1263844

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1263850#1263850
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any features that arent needed, disable them, everything consumes CPU/RAM and its higher impact on low end devices.

Faster WAN speeds need CPU power, easy as that.

There is nothing DD-WRT can do about it.

And not knowing what you are using or not we cant really provide any specific advice, except maybe open a new thread and provide screenshots of your setup pages.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently I'm test my configuration. I try to disable services, functions one by one. Disabled features not increase internet speed. I'm observe the SFE function working rather weak on this device. When it's enabled WAN speed is ~350 mbit/s, without SFE is max 300 - 310. I have ~15% CPU utilisation when services is up - cron, dnsmasq, SPI firewall + iptables, WIFI module, time synchro. When I use 1 workstation on wired connection and explore internet CPU usage is 18 - 20%. I don't think that's device utilisation problem (~75% sources of device is free). In future I have plan to create big report about device (dmesg, syslog, klog, ps, iptables, ping). I haven't this yet.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monitor the cpu usage on router when doing speed test or downloading a large file saturating download to max.

Browsing the web 15% to 20% usage is a lot for router when you just browsing the web, when you saturate the download link CPU wont handle it SFE or not. Only by monitoring the router CPU usage on a saturated downloand link you can see whats really going on.

In the end, your router is not able to do 600Mbps or anything close to it, better routers than yours on the budget side max out at 500Mbps e.g. 6300 v1 (broadcom which use CTF flow acceleration rather than SFE, this isnt available on Atheros BTW) which has a 600Mhz CPU, Your CPU is less than that, believe it dont believe it, doesn't matter either way.

Ive split the last posts into this new thread and added references. These discussions are sidetracking the purpose of that thread and its better suited here.

Will wait for screenshots of setup, logs wont tell much.

Thanks for your understanding,

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I will produce screenshots in future. I think that will be solve my inconvenience. Actually I use rather half speed of internet connection than ISP serve for me. I wonder to test some earlier builds of DD-WRT too, because I think my device have better WAN performance earlier. Thank's for all your help and interest.

Edit1.
I have new informations for this thread. Today I'm again tests internet connection condition. For tests I'm connect ethernet cable directly to modem and computer with gigabit ethernet interface on PCI-E port. I see I have problem with 600 mbit/s speed from ISP. My speed is hardly achieved. I'm go to advanced settings of network card in Windows 10. I'm found all settings to default there. I'm reconfig it. Launch router again and now my internet speed on tests have 330 - 630 mbit/s depend of online test service. I don't know how is my max speed now, but situation is definitely better. Web pages start faster and generic performance is rather good. In future I can provide more reports. Actually I'm observe my internet connection working. I'cant clearly claim router is bad.

Edit2
Today I'm back to original firmware by revert file. I'm make fresh install build from 6-4-22. I'm make whole configuration one more time. Internet speed on WAN port is ~350 - 380 mbit/s. I see switch config tab working bad probably. Not depend which option is forced for LAN port I can transfer ~380 mbit/s of download. I think when I'm force full speed mode should be ~100 mbit/s when gigabit mode is disabled. I'm make tries with IGMP Snooping feature without changes with WAN performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: