Wireless Client List Shows Garbled Name

seb666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:40    Post subject: Wireless Client List Shows Garbled Name Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm currently running r48954 on a Linksys WRT.
A while ago I noticed that the overview of connected wireless clients shows a pretty strange garbled name for one of the clients (Apple Macbook Pro).
This is also the only wireless client for which any information is shown in the "Name" field.

Does anyone know where this comes from or how to fix this?
It's not super important, but I'm curious....

Sebastian

garbled name.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.66 KB
 Viewed:  672 Time(s)

garbled name.png

Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
That usually means that the font type you are using in browser to display that, does not have the characters needed to correctly render the text.

Try using a regular font, perhaps a UTF-8 font will do it.

You can also look at the machine spewing that name and what characters it has and maybe even try renaming it, if font changes dont help.

Besides that, no idea.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
seb666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have any specific font set, I don't think that there's even a setting for it in Safari.
There's a default encoding that I can specify and it's already set to UTF8.

I just updated to r48971 and rebooted the router (obviously) and at the moment everything looks fine - as in "there is nothing shown in the name column anymore".

If/when it happens again, I'll try a different browser and check what's displayed there.

But anyway, I assumed the "name" could be some client-provided hostname which, in my case, should not contain any non-ASCII characters.
And I also was curious why none of the other clients show any information in that column.

Sebastian
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, IDK, usually the name column is only filled by specific devices that support the feature. Not many do.

I dont use Apple anything so I wouldn't know what Safari does, but usually it tends to support UTF-8 by default, problem may be in cases where people will use fonts that aren't fully utf-8 compatible, so this type thing is usually because of that.

Could have been gremlins in your case, and its always recommended to run the very latest dd-wrt only.

Most times, when upgrading from older builds and there are issues a nvram reset and reconfiguration from scratch is recommended, in your case seems it wasnt needed.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: