Mesh and Virtual Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 18:10    Post subject: Mesh and Virtual Mac Reply with quote
I have a couple of R7800 and a R7000.
At the moment my main R7800 is back at stock and I have a couple of EX7700 extenders in use, which is working....mostly.
I had an issue and I noticed that the MAC address was not what was actually on a device, but is a "virtual" mac that has been assigned by the EX7700 and so it had an unassigned IP address from the DHCP server.
Seems there is no way to stop this, so I am now looking at using the R7800's and R7000 as a mesh network instead.
So my question is, in Mesh mode, are Virtual Mac's used or will a device have it's Mac passed through to the DHCP server ?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Broadcom doesn't support mesh.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332172

Thanks for creating three separate topics that should all be in one thread.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:15    Post subject: Re: Mesh and Virtual Mac Reply with quote
poyntzj wrote:
I had an issue and I noticed that the MAC address was not what was actually on a device, but is a "virtual" mac that has been assigned by the EX7700 and so it had an unassigned IP address from the DHCP server.

I have EX7500 and yes it is nature of the beast with these triband extenders EX7500, EX7700, EX8000.
Honestly this extender performs so well to cover an 'Ethernet forbidden zone' that I forget about mesh.

About WDS router link I'm certain the original MAC addresses will pass through but have yet to try this.
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt, yes it is annoying. Not necessarily the end of the world, but does play havoc with DHCP reservations, which I use
Also explains why when on my laptop and talking to the router I am sometimes told I am logged on else where and need to switch, clearly the Mac aliasing
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69,
I posted the first message regarding the virtual Mac earlier in the evening, I then found my other R7800 and R7000. Flashed the R7800 and then saw the WPA3 and asked that question.
then flashed the R7000 and then after it was all done I saw the Mesh missing and asked about it.

Yes, could all go into a single thread, but I asked the questions as I was at various points. also asking the questions separately does mean that the thread should be pretty concise to that question and not an overarching thread where there could be many pages for someone to get to the answer they need (though I do doubt it on this particulr topic)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: