Hacked Router or Wi-Fi?? Help Needed!!

Geligioso
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 18:22    Post subject: Hacked Router or Wi-Fi?? Help Needed!! Reply with quote
Running firmware 05-23-2022-r48954
Router Linksys 1900ACSV2

When i connect to my Wi-Fi SSID i notice that my connection connects drops and then Reconnects to the Wi-Fi started about 5 years ago. BUT Today i noticed that when i connect to my Wi-Fi it is connecting at the same instant to my neighbors Wi-Fi SSID it shows mine as connected and secure and there Wi-Fi as connected and Secure? I am connecting to both simultaneously!

Question is what could be doing this? Could it be there using device such as Pineapple or some other hacking tool to hack my Wi-Fi or my DD-WRT Router? What can i do about it?

Things i have done... Changed Router Login and Password, Set a Static IP for Devices, Disabled GUI for Wi-F, Changed Firmware, Enabled Mac Filtering to only allow my devices Mac addresses to connect. Enabled Mac Cloning, I did all i could on my end including running Wireguard on the router with DD-WRT.

What could they be doing? Grabbing all my info? Website data, Logins, Bank Data? Shocked

Please someone help all answers or questions are welcome.

Thank You! [/img]
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Change your ssids and wifi passwords and make the device forget the neighbors ssids and connection details in addition of what you have done.

But document any such details, if anything legal pops up you will need evidence.

Also only use wap2-psk with CCMP-128 (AES) as minimum security for your wireless networks.

Also upgrade to very latest dd-wrt, you will find any known vulnerabilities are only patched in latest builds.

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-23-2022-r48954/

I recommend you do a nvram reset and reconfigure router from scratch after upgrading and after documenting your system.

As for what could have happened, your guess is as good as mine, if you suspect any such foul play, change all your banking passwords, email passwords and all other passwords you use for all the sites and dont recycle passwords and dont use any simple passwords.

I wonder how you had yourself connected to your neighbors ssid I mean, unless they used the same ssid as yours and had hacked you wifi password and were using the same, then its possible. However not many devices are able to connect to several separate APs at same time, generally its difficult to find anything that by default can connect to two AP's at same time. Mobile phones wise its a small list, tablets ditto, Laptops you can but not without some extra hoops, by default not really a lot out there.

Also, you have security tab see attachment.
In addition dont allow any router management outside your network.

You also have access restrictions and ability to create VAPs that are AP/Net isolated so anyone gaining access to them, cant communicate with any of your wifi devices or the LAN devices.

See https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1260059#1260059

My wifi passwords are 64 random characters long, so anyone hacking them will need a few years and then I change them on a regular basis, which defeats most of the regular hacks.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.14 KB
 Viewed:  808 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.74 KB
 Viewed:  808 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geligioso wrote:
Running firmware 05-23-2022-r48954
Router Linksys 1900ACSV2

the-joker wrote:
Also upgrade to very latest dd-wrt, you will find any known vulnerabilities are only patched in latest builds.

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-23-2022-r48954/

Just in case your browser does not support FTP (which most don't nowadays):
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-23-2022-r48954/

Not that it's necessary to re-flash your current build, tho Cool Wink

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Geligioso
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both the-joker and kernel-panic69 for the reply.
I Will follow up if anything else happens.

Thank You! Cool
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fresh router config on a new build is good practice, but I would be more concerned with your computer OS.

Also, this may be something simple as forgetting all saved networks or reinstalling wireless adapter drivers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: