High-power router?

Sephiroth
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:08    Post subject: High-power router? Reply with quote
I am looking for a router with the power to handle at least a 500Mbps WAN link and 1Gbps LAN with VLAN support and the ability to handle maybe twenty OpenVPN connections, likely bridged so we can pass IPX/SPX data (DOS systems, GAMES). I currently run Netgear XR500 routers in a few places and they are good, but I do not know if they're up to this task.

So what would the pros suggest for this kind of setup? My fall-back plan is a Ubiquiti USG4.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't know that you could pass IPX/SPX over the Internet or over a VPN, especially since the kernel module is not configured to be compiled in on any modern router that I am aware of. I have not seen this functionality in a router since the 90s.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Played Descent on Kali long ago. Above R7800/R9000 (XR450/R8900, XR500/XR700) is x86. No need for VPN.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I didn't know that you could pass IPX/SPX over the Internet or over a VPN, especially since the kernel module is not configured to be compiled in on any modern router that I am aware of. I have not seen this functionality in a router since the 90s.

A bridged tunnel communicates at layer 2 (typically ethernet), therefore you can pass *any* layer 3 protocol over the tunnel that you like, just so long as it can be placed within those ethernet frames. And it doesn't require the router support it unless you expect the router to communicate using it (which no one does).

Granted, it's NOT something you see everyday. But that's another benefit of using a bridged tunnel. It gives you other options for layer 3 besides IP.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I knew and didn't know that, @eibgrad Rolling Eyes Embarassed I honestly do not know of any multi-platform DOS games that do not have TCP/IP functionality, though. Especially anything supported by GameSpy3D back in the day.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pick any DOS game before Quake, exceptions afterward like GTA.
https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/dos/tic,12/ti,82/
https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,82/p,2/
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spy a number of those games that either had TCP/IP functionality on release or via published patch.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure, there are plenty of titles that did not receive a sort of golden treatment some Triple-A titles received.

Old network code in these games were designed for LAN, IPX or null modem serial link were very common.

Can imagine the fun experience you would have with timing sensitive games like Mortal Kombat 3 / Trilogy.
Sephiroth
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man games into the XP era only used TCP/IP for things that are gone, like WON. Want to play Lords of Magic? IPX because TCP only worked for WON. Besides, I have three identical Windows 98SE gaming rigs on my LAN and sometimes my friends in New Zealand or Finland want to play, and they're a bit more than 100m of Ethernet away.

So the XR500 should be fine? I'll give it a shot as I have one already. I assumed bridging would kill it. If it doesn't work I have a few Xeon servers I can use! Gentoo runs good on 'em!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: