antennas....

alabamatoy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 14:28    Post subject: antennas.... Reply with quote
As a ham radio operator, I have found it far more effective to put my $$ into a better antenna than most anything else for best range.

So I have a new Linksys EA8100, and I am looking to replace the cheesy 5-inchers with some high-gain antennas mounted on the roof of a large building to try to bring in wifi cameras from 1000+ feet away.

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just keep in mind that at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, coax losses will be significant, perhaps critical. A long run to the roof is likely not going to work out well. Do your homework.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Better to get an outdoor directional AP.

https://www.tp-link.com/no/business-networking/outdoor-radio/
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can try it, but a home routers aren't exactly comparable to a ham radio, where you can feed more power to the transmitter or fiddle with gains etc etc on receiver end.

You will be restricted to the hardware in use and signal attenuation over a long run of cabling to roof will likely not work well. Unless you add something to ensure signal degradation doesn't reach untenable levels, in case it happens, they have nice 2.4/5ghz antennas for sure better than any piddly default crap.

But you could go with a directional AP running dd-wrt setup as a repeater to communicate with your current equipment, if your idea doesn't work out.

Heck what am I saying, you're a HAM operator you know this radio crap inside out.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: