TL-WR940N DD-WRT performance issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
zrnmk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:20    Post subject: TL-WR940N DD-WRT performance issues Reply with quote
After 15 days long test two WR940N tplink we found this problem with ddwrt firmware.

1. Ddwrt v6 we try all versions Ddwrt starting from v3...x to last one v4....x Ddwrt what is publish on May 18.

2. First primary router AP mode Ddwrt last version and second router Client mode same Ddwrt version both same models and new one TL-WR940N there is no any obstacle's or walls between them and distance 5 meters between them.
The router as router works very well no any problem but Client mode and Repeater and WDS station and other Bridge mode sucks and the speed is always to low 13Mbs/s on total network 30Mbs/s
We try all possible settings what can be done and the routers still cannot go up more then 13Mbs/s sometimes even lower.

3. Primary router Ddwrt secondary router Openwrt both can connect together with no any problem as Client , Repeater , WDS station ,Bridge ....etc and is crazy because the speed now can go up to 28Mb/s on 30Mb/s network also Openwrt with Openwrt no any problem.

4. The final result show that The Ddwrt firmware for WR940N for sure have some problem and no only for this model also and for other models and that's why many people complain about Client mode or WDS or Repeater , Bridge.
I hope someone engineer from DDWRT can read this post and take some action to correct Ddwrt firmware.

BR. Zorro
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
These routers are generally not very powerful, neither CPU wise not Ram wise.

Depending on the version of the router you have could be 400 MHz or 750 MHz CPU and the RAM is just mostly 32MB its so ancient that the LAN/WAN ports are only 100M.

So you cant expect Ferrari performance out of a push bike. You can expect it, but it just wont deliver. You want more speed get better hardware.

When you say you tested all the settings possible, and while I personally appreciate that for you this maybe the truth as you know it, we would need to confirm you are talking about these wifi settings https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

Not only this you must consider the clients connected what they support vs what router supports and manage again expectations due to various factors.

But again, it all goes down to your unrealistic expectations of what this pushbike should be able to do.

That all said, we need evidence of the setup like screenshots and then maybe we can see if there's anything that sticks out.

Thanks for your feedback, will await a reply that shows your setup screenshots etc.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:50    Post subject: Re: TL-WR940N DD-WRT performance issues Reply with quote
zrnmk wrote:
After 15 days long test two WR940N tplink we found this problem with ddwrt firmware.

1. Ddwrt v6 we try all versions Ddwrt starting from v3...x to last one v4....x Ddwrt what is publish on May 18.

2. First primary router AP mode Ddwrt last version and second router Client mode same Ddwrt version both same models and new one TL-WR940N there

BR. Zorro

The hardware design (chipset/wlan) is dated 2013, single core 750Mhz. Don`t know why they still sell them, maybe because its mainboard is cheap. It's not good for ISP speeds 100Mbit or better on Wifi.

I own a WR941v6 that is a 940v3 (with detachable antenna).
I don't have this limit on WLAN in AP (router) mode. (I'm still on an old build)
Post your Wifi settings from the first and secondary WR940.Enshure that you have set WMM support, Short GI, Short Preamble enabled. Because the wifi driver changed between my build and yours several times, you should check the wireless network mode setting (may change them).
I get around 85Mbit with 10m (32feet) distance on a laptop with 2 antenna with WDS you should have less but not 15Mbit.
I remember a post with "WDS connects seem unstable on a lot of builds newer than r46220"
WDS (Wifi) speed may be build (wifi driver) specific,
did you take a look here https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331650&sid=497d8291bde2cb3b31133d5cbe50dfe8
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im not even going to ask how you have deduced that the OP's machine has a 750Mhz CPU as opposed to 400Mhz, but at this stage it could be either and neither is good enough in any areas to perform at the expected levels, DD-WRT or not.

I dont think it matters since clearly this person has no real interest either way.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
From reading the broken English to determine which version(s) of this router were being discussed, perhaps:

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR940N_v3.x
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR940N_v4.x
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR940N_v5.x
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR940N_v6.x

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: