[Mostly Solved] R7800 stops responding to clients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33180-how-to-fix-wi-fi-roaming

Short answer, it's all client dependent.
Even if the AP supports 802.11k, 802.11v, 802.11r then the client must also support it and even if the client supports it, the client still decides for itself what it does.

Then clients are not allowed to send probe requests on DFS channels because initial radiation is prohibited on those frequencies.
So they are not allowed to actively transmit first, but only to listen.

Personally, I don't need "seamless roaming" either.

I don't walk around the flat with my notebook or PC and hold parallel zoom meetings.

I am either in room a or room b

and when I'm walking around I usually have something else to do than carry around devices.
For my case, my boss walks from the front to the back of the office while having the WhatsApp call with the customer, then the call disconnects when his phone switch AP. That's essentially the drawback of having multiple APs.
e-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="IONK"]
ho1Aetoo wrote:

OP "e-" has not returned to this thread for a while, I'm wondering how it is going for his R7800.

Yeah, I've been just lurking as the initial week of no-issues, then the issue returning made me feel Murphy's Law struck me for updating the post too early.. 😂

Since then, I've updated to 48810 and something seems improved. We've not had the same issue since that upgrade. dmesg shows none of the "ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: failed to lookup txq for peer_id" messages, and only 1 case of a short spam of "ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: received unexpected tx_fetch_ind event: in push mode" ones. This happened at the same time at least 3 devices stopped being able to do anything outside the LAN, connectivity between 2.4GHz and 5GHz clients suffered, but everything came back quickly compared to the previous cases (a couple of minutes) without me having to do anything.

The biggest difference in this particular case is that no devices left the apartment, the only movement was me walking from a room to another. So I'm taking it as a one-off hiccup for now and will keep monitoring.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
e- wrote:
IONK wrote:
OP "e-" has not returned to this thread for a while, I'm wondering how it is going for his R7800.

Yeah, I've been just lurking as the initial week of no-issues, then the issue returning made me feel Murphy's Law struck me for updating the post too early.. 😂

Since then, I've updated to 48810 and something seems improved. We've not had the same issue since that upgrade. dmesg shows none of the "ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: failed to lookup txq for peer_id" messages, and only 1 case of a short spam of "ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: received unexpected tx_fetch_ind event: in push mode" ones. This happened at the same time at least 3 devices stopped being able to do anything outside the LAN, connectivity between 2.4GHz and 5GHz clients suffered, but everything came back quickly compared to the previous cases (a couple of minutes) without me having to do anything.

The biggest difference in this particular case is that no devices left the apartment, the only movement was me walking from a room to another. So I'm taking it as a one-off hiccup for now and will keep monitoring.
do you have any other router in your network or just that R7800? I just want to see if my other Arcadyan AP is giving issue.
How do you monitor/realize the problem? I'm only aware of the problem because the affected device was having Zoom meeting, but if other phones also encountered the problem while in sleep mode then I would have no way to tell.
Did you do another nvram reset? I've reset & converted my XR500 from gateway to AP, with 2 PC doing Zoom and a dozen mobile phones connected, but I can only see one instance of "received unexpected tx_fetch_ind event: in push mode" without any disconnection of Zoom meeting. I don't know about the mobile phones though. Still early to tell, because at this location, there are not as many users, and the users do not move in/out of range as frequently as before.
Since the issue occurred when you walked around without leaving the apartment, is there any chance that the issue is related to beam forming? (Assuming you have no other AP)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
do you have any other router in your network or just that R7800? I just want to see if my other Arcadyan AP is giving issue.
How do you monitor/realize the problem? I'm only aware of the problem because the affected device was having Zoom meeting, but if other phones also encountered the problem while in sleep mode then I would have no way to tell.
Did you do another nvram reset? I've reset & converted my XR500 from gateway to AP, with 2 PC doing Zoom and a dozen mobile phones connected, but I can only see one instance of "received unexpected tx_fetch_ind event: in push mode" without any disconnection of Zoom meeting. I don't know about the mobile phones though. Still early to tell, because at this location, there are not as many users, and the users do not move in/out of range as frequently as before.
Since the issue occurred when you walked around without leaving the apartment, is there any chance that the issue is related to beam forming? (Assuming you have no other AP)

Just the R7800 for now at least. I still have the R6250 it replaced, but the R6250 is offline. I had originally planned on using it as a repeater, but considering how the R7800 covers the area very well and the potential issues from putting them together might introduce, I've postponed that plan.

After the first few times the issue happened, I left a cable connected to a LAN port of the R7800 and then I connect a laptop to it to check whenever issues happen. In my case it only affects wifi, so by connecting via LAN I can SSH into the router or use the web UI to check things. For around a month now, I SSH into the R7800 and check dmesg from time to time, fortunately nothing showing up. Earlier today when the disconnecting happened, I plugged a laptop to the LAN port and checked it, saw the messages I pasted in the previous reply.

I tried a nvram reset a couple of times between upgrades, but haven't tried that in the last month or so. From reading the comments and links, I think my case is more about code changes rather than settings, so there isn't much I can do. For example, as I said, just upgrading to 48810 seems to have made things better, without me changing settings..
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
e- wrote:
After the first few times the issue happened, I left a cable connected to a LAN port of the R7800 and then I connect a laptop to it to check whenever issues happen. In my case it only affects wifi, so by connecting via LAN I can SSH into the router or use the web UI to check things. For around a month now, I SSH into the R7800 and check dmesg from time to time, fortunately nothing showing up. Earlier today when the disconnecting happened, I plugged a laptop to the LAN port and checked it, saw the messages I pasted in the previous reply.

I tried a nvram reset a couple of times between upgrades, but haven't tried that in the last month or so. From reading the comments and links, I think my case is more about code changes rather than settings, so there isn't much I can do. For example, as I said, just upgrading to 48810 seems to have made things better, without me changing settings..

when the issue happens, did all wireless clients get affected, or only a few random wireless devices, or a few fixed wireless devices?
Maybe your issue is different than mine, because for my case the wireless client is disconnected from the WiFi network, but for your case the wireless client was still connected but no ping.
Changing topic, when the issue occurred, these are the only warning/error messages I see in the log, so I fixate on them, but I can't tell if these warnings/errors are really the root cause, or they are just the byproducts of some other hidden issue that was not logged. Up till now, I still don't know the exact condition/procedure to trigger the issue.
I also don't know why no other reported this problem.
I still have another unused XR500, is there any method to set up the testing environment?
Both XR500 have been converted to dd-wrt since day 1, so I don't know any setting/feature of the stock Netgear firmware. Can anyone provide the comparison between stock and ddwrt?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
when the issue happens, did all wireless clients get affected, or only a few random wireless devices, or a few fixed wireless devices?
Maybe your issue is different than mine, because for my case the wireless client is disconnected from the WiFi network, but for your case the wireless client was still connected but no ping.

Yeah, sounds different than mine. Mine leads to all devices being unable to communicate because the R7800 is waiting for one client that is out of range to reply. Even though the other clients are still connected to wifi, they cannot do anything on it, even pinging the R7800 times out.

It does recover after a while, but usually too long so I reset it because the 5 minutes or so for it to reboot are faster than waiting for it to recover by itself.

However, once again.. So far it seems like something on 48810 improved this and it doesn't seem to be happening as often anymore.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
update: I've connected the serial cable to my XR500, eagerly waiting for the issue to happen again but the issue doesn't occur anymore with DD-WRT v3.0-r49361 std (06/26/22).
There were 4 instances of "ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: received unexpected tx_fetch_ind event: in push mode" but there's no "ath10k_warn: xxx callbacks suppressed" or "ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: failed to lookup txq for peer_id xxx tid xxx", and there's no dropping of connection.
I'm not sure from which version that the issue was solved.
I've just upgraded to r49392 (06/29/2022). Serial cable is still connected, but I hope there will be no more issue to report.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: