Several SMB/SAMBA questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Drdeca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 20:52    Post subject: Cifs bug? Reply with quote
I´m on the latest version from April/22 but noticed also on the version from 20th of Feb 22 that I not able to access all subdir. I get I/O errors.

If I navigate via telnet to the mountpoint of the smb-shares on the router, all directories are accessible.

I use RaspberryPI to mount the cifs and rsync for backupreasons. There I faced a lot of read errors.

If I try to navigate or cp those directories (cifs-mounted) they are not accessible

Same on my ubuntu-notebook. I mount the smb shares via cifs to the systemdisk. When I acces them, I get an errormessages too.
When using Dolfin and access the smb shares direktly, everything is fine.

Nearly 90% of the cifs (Directories) are read/writeable without any issues.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Obviously its a nice addition since as you noted ksmbd doesn't advertise its services by default. So its a thumbs up here for implementing it.

However the advertising isn't necessary (advertising is for automatic display without user interaction afaik) as long as the share is working, one could still enter the explorer and add the path to the share on the address bar to see the share displayed, or am I wrong in this assumption? I dont really use DD-WRT for this, so hence that brain fart.

The issue that I have is that my WDTV does not give me the option to manually enter the path. I don't know why this was done this way, but it is what it is, hence why I need automatic discovery to work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow. This literally dropped TODAY:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331904

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
But if you like it and think it is a useful addition then post this in this thread Smile

EGC YOU ARE THE MAN!

I just got around to updating my router, always a fun process. It appears that network discovery is WORKING for DD-WRT.

I have not tested it on my WDTV yet, however the router now shows up under the network pane on the mac.

Fingers crossed. I will, as per request, send whatever suggestions I might have, or bugs I come across, although I'm not sure I can be helpful.

Good work. I think this is a good addition to dd-wrt considering the (hopefully) small overhead and size.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:

While it appears the network share seems to be working my WDTV isn't detecting any smb shares. It did detect one, then I disabled and re-enabled file sharing, and now it's not detecting anything.

I opened up wireshark to see what's going on, it appears there aren't any replies happening (it did work for a time with the laptop, but it stopped replying after disableing and re-enabling file sharing).

One other interesting thing I noted: the source net for the dd-wrt mdns response appears to be some ipv6 address? I'm not sure this is an issue with the mdns implementation on dd-wrt, or if the wdtv just has a very old/picky mdns version installed. It shouldn't matter to my mind since it's a relatively old and robust protocol. Still, the fact that nothing is answering its mdns request is weird to me.

I'm going to keep digging, apologize for rambling, these posts are also my notes.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure you are running the very latest public builds of dd-wrt for your router, which now includes mDNS in services page.

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

If your current build is too old, you will need to nvram reset after upgrade and reconfigure from scratch to ensure best results and outed gremlins.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Make sure you are running the very latest public builds of dd-wrt for your router, which now includes mDNS in services page.

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

If your current build is too old, you will need to nvram reset after upgrade and reconfigure from scratch to ensure best results and outed gremlins.

Did that. I think the WDTV just needs the latest firmware. That will be my next step.

Navigation

Jump to: