WNR3500Lv1 wiki updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
objecttothis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:17    Post subject: WNR3500Lv1 wiki updates Reply with quote
The wiki page for this router needs a couple updates:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR3500L

K3X Builds that work
I was able to install dd-wrt.v24-48810_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin on my WNR3500Lv1 without resetting and no problems so far.

Build Size limitations
IMO the wiki currently is too vague about the maximum build size. It reads "~7.3MB". It would be nice to know exactly the size limit.

It's reported on this thread by @explorerv (https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329570) dd-wrt.v24-47033_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin is working and I confirmed that. This build is the largest that I have ever installed so that maximum is at least 7,489KB. Could we update the wiki with this information?

@kernel-panic69

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
7.3MB = 7,654,604.8 Bytes or 7,475.2 KB (binary / base2) (which is posted in one of MY comments in that thread you linked!). I guess this is why reporting in the build threads is important for someone who is going to tackle maintaining build recommendations in the wiki, which honestly is NOT the place for it IMHO, but I'll play this game. I literally keep using sites like these two to do the math for me:

https://convertlive.com/u/convert/bytes/to/megabytes
https://www.gbmb.org/megabytes

47033 is 7667712 Bytes = 7.3125MB; 48810 is 7536640 Bytes = 7.1875 MB

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
objecttothis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
But see, that's the problem. The wiki doesn't say 7.3MB. It says ~7.3MB. The tilde makes it approximate. 7,475kb also isn't exact because I was able to flash r47033 which is 7,489kb.

As for the proper modification route I can tell you as a software developer that if users keep doing it wrong then dummy proofing is the only way to fix that... Or just be constantly angry that users didn't read a notice that you think is very visible but for whatever reason most don't see.

Most wikis that I've seen use a moderated edit process. The dd-wrt wiki is closed to editing for anyone without a login or I would have attempted this method.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forum guidelines and pointers, read first! (point 13):
Quote:
Use the build threads from the former step to report success or problems.

The following are your only two properly placed reports:

New Build - 09/10/2020 - r44340 (Marvell)
New Build - 08/19/2018 - r36645(Broadcom)

I annotated the information about 47033 in the device wiki. Sorry if I do not have exact information for and from the device itself to be more specific.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: