Should DD-WRT be a part of FSFE's Router Freedom program?

LizardWizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 14:49    Post subject: Should DD-WRT be a part of FSFE's Router Freedom program? Reply with quote
I just came across this website because my mail provider sent me an email saying "we support an open letter by FSFE (Free Software Foundation Europe) in which the signatories demand a 'universal right" from European Union legislators to run any software on any device'." This got me wondering if they also do something related to routers, since that specific letter is more about mobile devices. Then I found these:

https://fsfe.org/activities/routers/routers.en.html
https://download.fsfe.org/routers/fsfe-router-freedom-activity-summary.pdf
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT exists beyond that IMO. DD-WRT is not Hardware, and afaik fsfe is about Hardware.

One thing is deciding you want to use xyz equipment instead of ISP provided and forced on customers without any other option.

Another thing is the right to run whatever OS you want on said choice of router. Even though fsfe states there is no router freedom without free software.

That's more complicated, as it needs manufacturers to release the source code, and for companies like Broadcom who for the most part want to hide behind NDA's and closed source unmaintainable binary blobs..

OpenWRT is part of https://sfconservancy.org/ which is more inline with advocacy for manufacturers in order to release any source code, basically making the free software part more accessible.

Where DD-WRT is concerned, and other projects like it, provide software choices, and in order to support more routers in any of those projects, there is always some tradeoff between time spent on fixing bugs, updating components, adding features and supporting new hardware.

Open source is always some issue with getting developers to contribute, some projects have more developers than others, afaik DD-WRT has currently 3 active including myself for the UI part, 1 for Tunneling stuffs and recently mDNS and perhaps other odds and sods, and the only and only Brainslayer.

And for my part, real life could very well take me away at any time for any unforeseen amount of time, but it could happen to any of us, and then poof, there goes the magic dragon.

On the other hand you have the old elephant in the room, planned obsolesce, where most of these manufacturers for routers and consumer equipment, mobiles etc, are conspiring to provide inferior equipment and inferior software in order to keep the customers on the hook for the next shiny thing.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: