2G WiFi issues after reclaiming WAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
AndyOxon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 15:30    Post subject: 2G WiFi issues after reclaiming WAN Reply with quote
Router/Version: Netgear WNDR4500 / v2
File/Kernel: dd-wrt.v24-48786_NEWD-2_K3.x_giga-WNDR4500V2.bin / 4.4.302 #15578 Tue May 3 05:54:21 +07 2022 mips
Previous/Reset: r48741 / YES (and manually configured)
Mode/Status: Router, 2x WDS-AP, STP, Samba, Torrent Client, Entware / Working with useless WAN port.
Issues/Errors: Assigning WAN to VLAN1 causes 2G WiFi connection issues, as previously reported.

Steps: Flashed this build via web UI with settings reset option > manually set basic/required network config (router IP, gateway IP, DNS IP, disabled WAN connection type, turned off DHCP, op-mode=router, disabled DNSMasq, disabled firewall) > tested 2G WiFi, which worked as expected > Assigned WAN to VLAN1 on Switch Config page > tested 2G WiFi again, which had stopped working > restored settings from previous/last build > Working with useless WAN port.

Please feel free to PM me with the words “You numbnuts!” if I’ve overlooked something. Thanks.

egc wrote:
I actually tried it on an R6400 which I wanted to use as a WAP, and it gave weird errors.

A WAN port is automatically assigned to the switch by just setting VLAN2 to br0 and that works but if you try it directly on the switch (which seems the most logical/best way) it does not work.
Not sure if this is an inherent problem of the switch design (but this could well be the case) or some setup problem.

It is on my (long) list to research but perhaps do not try it and if the WAN port is not automatically set to the switch perhaps try to set VLAN2 to br0 ?

Sorry, I should have created this thread when problems were first noticed. Apologises. I didn’t expect to overcome this issue without coded intervention. My bad!

VLAN2 wasn’t on the list in ‘Assign to Bridge’ config. So, I have gone into Setup > Networking and set ‘WAN Port Assignment’ to ‘br0’. I’m no egg-spert, but I think its worked. I have 2G clients, and a wired client on WAN port.

@EGC You rock! Thank you. (Now you can tell me I’ve done it all wrong lol)

Netgear WNDR4500v2 | FreshTomato | Router, WAP (2G), WDS-AP (5G).
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
VLAN2 should automatically be assigned to br0; it may require a reboot to be visible in the bridge assignment status. At least we have a workaround, if that is not the case.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
AndyOxon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 16:44    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote
Ah, then I have misunderstood. Lemme restore settings and check the bridging table.

If I understand correctly now, if VLAN2 is in the table, then I should be able to use WAN port as LAN port (without layer issues).

I’ll be back! Lol. Thanks KP!

AndyOxon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 17:26    Post subject: Hmmm, what now Reply with quote
Restored to previous configuration, and rebooted a couple of times (for good measure) but I’m not seeing VLAN2 in the bridging table, nor is it an option if I try adding via ‘Assign to Bridge’. But Switch Config lists WAN as assigned to VLAN2.

BTable.png
 Description:
Screenshot
 Filesize:  89.29 KB
 Viewed:  1346 Time(s)

BTable.png

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 18:42    Post subject: Re: Hmmm, what now Reply with quote
AndyOxon wrote:
Restored to previous configuration

Why? Did you not configure from scratch? I don't have my R7000P handy at the moment to check nvram variables to see if there is a workaround there, but looks as if your previous workaround is the only option if configuring from scratch and rebooting doesn't do the trick.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
AndyOxon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 18:59    Post subject: I'll try again Reply with quote
I didn’t think it would matter since the settings were from just before I made these changes. Besides, its getting late and my brain is starting to shut down.

I’ll come back to it tomorrow, and start over. Thanks @KP

Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the switch configuration with:

swconfig dev switch0 show

At the bottom of the output, you should see something like this:

VLAN 1:
ports: 1 2 3 4 8t
VLAN 2:
ports: 0 8t

To move port 0 (WAN) from VLAN2 to VLAN1:

swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0 1 2 3 4 8t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "8t"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply
AndyOxon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:00    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
See the switch configuration with:

swconfig dev switch0 show

At the bottom of the output, you should see something like this:

VLAN 1:
ports: 1 2 3 4 8t
VLAN 2:
ports: 0 8t

To move port 0 (WAN) from VLAN2 to VLAN1:

swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0 1 2 3 4 8t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "8t"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

This information is a golden nugget in its own right. Thank you! However, I am unsure how useful it will be here because moving port 0 to VLAN1 is what triggers the issue. Regardless, I think its worth throwing it on the list of things to try as its doesn’t use the web UI.

Currently, the output states:

VLAN 1:
ports: 0 1 2 3 4 8t

I will be pulling the router and taking it to the bench momentarily. I’ll post my findings in due course.

AndyOxon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:06    Post subject: Oh nooo Reply with quote
Steps:
> Executed ‘nvram erase’ via SSH, and rebooted
> Set user & password, and checked bridging table (eth1, eth2, vlan1) & WAN port assignment (vlan2) [I forgot Telnet is enabled by default, so didn’t verify]
> Manually set basic/required network config (router IP, gateway IP, DNS IP, disabled WAN connection type, turned off DHCP, op-mode=router, disabled DNSMasq, disabled firewall, set 2G WiFi, disabled 5G WiFi) & rebooted
> checked bridging table (eth1, vlan1) & WAN port assignment (disabled). SSH output: VLAN 1: ports: 0 1 2 3 4 8t [< does this mean WAN (port 0) is already assigned to vlan1/br0, even though Switch Config page shows it on VLAN2?]
> Deployed unit for 2G WiFi testing, and passed
> doubled-checked bridging table, and is as before (via SSH)
> Executed ‘swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0 1 2 3 4 8t"’, ‘swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "8t"’, ‘swconfig dev switch0 set apply’
> Rebooted because swconfig states- VLAN 1: ports: 1 2 3 4 8t VLAN 2: ports: 0 8t
> Bridging table lists eth1 & vlan1 on br0. SSH prints: VLAN 1: ports: 0 1 2 3 4 8t

Because swconfig states that port 0 is on vlan1 (regardless of what the web UI says) could it be that the answer is to do nothing?

I have hooked up an IPC client on WAN, and it appears to work fine. But again, I don’t know what layer packets are working on.

Edits: Removed irrelevant information, formatting, and merged posts.

Last edited by AndyOxon on Wed May 04, 2022 12:46; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: