2.4GHZ WiFI keeps disconnectiing every few hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
JackPollack
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 20:17    Post subject: 2.4GHZ WiFI keeps disconnectiing every few hours Reply with quote
Just replaced a standard Netgear router with a Linksys WRT3200ACM running DD-WRT v3.0-r48607 std (04/08/22).

I have a ESP32 MCU that only has a 2.4 GHZ radio. It has been reliably connected to the Netgear WiFi for many months without issue. When I connect to the DDWRT Linksys it disconnects and then reconnects every few hours. The log in the ESP32 shows it only disconnects for 3 seconds each time and probably takes 2.5 seconds of that time to reconnect, so it is just a really quick disconnect and then reconnect.

If I put the old netgear back in it stays reliably connected. Not sure if it is a hardware issue or DDWRT issue since I didnt test before switching firmware.

I'v tried to make the DDWRT WiFI settings as conservative as possible. I tried all 3 channel widths, I tried B only, G only, N only. I also tried changing the channel from 'auto' to a fixed channel since I'm in the heart of New York City with a lot of WiFi.

Any ideas?
(I'm also going to post on the ESP32 forum)
Sponsor
JackPollack
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just noticed that the disconnects are exactly 1 hour apart.

7:34PM
8:34PM
9:34PM

Not sure what that means, but interesting.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doubt DD-WRT issue, well known Marvell open source drivers issues, ESP, IoT, smart switches & home automation.
The workarounds have been repeated on these forums, and easiest solution is an Ethernet connected access point.

You could attempt to configure around issues but is much better to bypass with AP or replace hardware completely.
That said, r48607 is before a recent mac80211 overhaul. Without the full picture of configurations, reset start over.
JackPollack
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I disabled WMM (one of the only settings I didn't initially play with!) and I stopped getting hourly disconnects but I was still having a issue when communicating with the device.

If I pinged or tried to communicate with the device after some period of inactivity the first few pings or communication attempts would fail, then work for repeated attempts for a while. It almost felt like something was in a sleep or low power mode and had to "wake up"

In addition to turning off WMM I also switched to 802.11 G only as the link you provided suggested and this cleared up all issues. Been working at 100% for 24 hours now with no issues.

Just to reiterate for anyone reading this switching to G only without disabling WMM didn't fix the problem, I needed both settings.

Thanks for your help & suggestions Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: