Possible to force a device to use only 2.4 wifi?

IMV8N
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 16:23    Post subject: Possible to force a device to use only 2.4 wifi? Reply with quote
I have an Ecobee Thermostat downstairs not too far from router but I guess far enough that it constantly drops wifi connection. My guess is that its using the 5Ghz band. I would like to have it always connect to the 2.4 band. Is there way to force that in DDWRT?
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can always only give it the 2.4 GHz password only. It really depends on how you setup the network.

You could set the MAC address filters, but ultimately the device is selecting what radio to use.
IMV8N
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
You can always only give it the 2.4 GHz password only. It really depends on how you setup the network.

You could set the MAC address filters, but ultimately the device is selecting what radio to use.

5 and 2.4 bands are using the same password. I do like the abiltity for my deivces to choose based on best peformance. Ill start researching how to use Mac address filters. Thanks very much for the reply.
gin-n-tonic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set up a wireless virtual access point (similar to a guest network) on the 2.4 GHz radio. Use a different SSID and password. Connect the thermostat to this AP. You can bridge this to the rest of your network if you want to have easy access, or isolate it for security. The rest of your devices will still use the 5.0 and 2.4 bands as usual.
IMV8N
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
gin-n-tonic wrote:
Set up a wireless virtual access point (similar to a guest network) on the 2.4 GHz radio. Use a different SSID and password. Connect the thermostat to this AP. You can bridge this to the rest of your network if you want to have easy access, or isolate it for security. The rest of your devices will still use the 5.0 and 2.4 bands as usual.

That's a pretty brilliant suggestion. Thanks for the idea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: