Reducing Bluetooth Audio Interference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
LogicalUnit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:00    Post subject: Reducing Bluetooth Audio Interference Reply with quote
Hi there, I have a Sony Bravia TV which I like to use with bluetooth headphones (I live in a share house). I have it set up and working, but there is a certain amount of interference on the headphones. Just enough to be annoying.

I'm fairly confident the interference is caused by the 2.4GHz wifi on my Linksys WRT1900AC router running DD-WRT v3.0-r48432 std (03/01/22)

Are there any settings I can use that will reduce the amount of bluetooth interference? I have updated the system firmware on the TV which definitely helped.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive moved this to the appropriate subforum to increase visibility and get you specific help.

Im not familiar with your router, but, on mine for instance, there is a advanced wifi setup page for both 2.4/5Ghz radios that has a setting called `Bluetooth Coexistence Mode` with a drop down menu [Disabled] which is default, Enabled or Preemption.

IDk if this is available on yours; mine is a Broadcom based unit while yours is Marvel.

Also please upgrade to latest build, http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/04-08-2022-r48607 and nvram reset and reconfigure; so at least we know you're starting with the latest drivers, kernels, security patches etc.

If your bluetooth headphones are firmware upgradable, do it, usually theres some app on android store or apple store from the manufacturer for this; some headphones arent upgradable; some are depending on price/model/brand

Bluetooth operates on 2.4Ghz, so does some cordless home phones and other equipment you may or not have; try to keep headphones and router away from any of these sources.

Your move to upgrade your TV firmware was wise; good on you, most of the time upgrades are a good thing to no matter what it is.

Im not sure if setup screenshots are required at this time; Im sure others with your router will know what to ask for, if asked provide it.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
LogicalUnit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for the reply, and for putting my thread in the correct place. Bluetooth Coexistance Mode sounds exactly like what I need. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it in my settings. See attached screenshot. I'm happy to update to the latest version of DD-WRT and erase nvram, but as I live in a sharehouse I'll need to find a time to do this that won't disrupt my housemates.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW (prob not much!) Some or all of these marvell routers are known to propagate interference from one of the USB ports (I think USB 2, the faster one) into the 2.4G wifi/bluetooth band. AFAIK, it won't occur if you have nothing plugged into that USB port.

Aside: I have a several-year-old Sony TV of the Bravia line and have never allowed it to update its Android OS because an obscure provision in its privacy policy says that if I upgrade its Android, I am giving permission for Sony to gather as much info as it wants from my TV about my viewing and to do with that data whatever it wants.

Q: What do you have when you have a corporate lawyer buried neck deep in sand?
A: A shortage of sand.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
LogicalUnit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had some success by setting my regulatory domainn to Australia (this is where I live) and changing the channel to 13. I believe that in the USA the normal channel range is 1 to 11, so by using 13 I get less interference. But one of my long-range USB wifi N adaptors no longer seems my SSID Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: