Internet speed problems!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Vascodegama
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 21:58    Post subject: Internet speed problems! Reply with quote
Hello,
I have a brand new linksys wrt3200acm gigabit router which I installed ddwrt. I noticed my speed seems to be capped at 50Mbps, never really goes above this. My ISP speed is 400Mbps. I have the same results with wifi.

Also, after much fustration I decieded to try openwrt and my speed was not an issues. This problem is the result of ddrwrt firmware.

I can not overclock, its not supported.

Any thoughts?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll possibly have to flash back to stock to re-flash DD-WRT.

Sticky: DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/01-17-2022-r48138/linksys-wrt3200acm/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Vascodegama
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did do that and still getting the same speed. Here is what I'm getting consistently in terms of speed across several firmware. (NOT WIFI, lan connected)

1. DDWRT - 50-60Mbps
2. OpenWRT - 160-180Mbps
3. Stock - 330-340Mbps (to be expected since its conected to ISP router)

ISP router 400 Mbps

Is it a problem with the router itself?
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. And you said that this router has shown to be capable with *Stock Firmware*.

What build of dd-wrt are you using? I used to have issues with olders builds from the past until I tried again with the newest dd-wrt builds.

Currently using dd-wrt build 48081 on my WRT32x with my 300mbps connection. Hitting on average 270mbps to 300mbps. This is with traffic shaping on.

I also have a WRT3200ACM on the way in the mail so I will try testing that router as well.

EDIT: you mentioned you are running this behind an ISP router. mind sharing us what model the ISP router modem combo is?

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
teknogeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having the same problem with a new WRT3200ACM.

Did a fresh install of DD-WRT v3.0-r48432 std (03/01/22) yesterday, been hitting all sorts of speed problems compared to OEM.

I pay the ISP for 940/30 and I get those on ethernet from the router regardless of DD-WRT vs OEM firmware.

However, as soon as I switch to wifi there are massive performance hits with DD-WRT — with OEM Linksys firmware, I get 850-900mbps over wifi. As soon as I boot into the DD-WRT partition (same router location, etc), the highest speed I've seen over wifi was 200mbps and usually it sits around 150mbps.

I've fully dropped DD-WRT for the time being, the speed hit isn't worth it. But I'd love to be able to go back someday
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am able to get 300mbps just fine with my WRT3200acm.

All I did was flash dd-wrt firmware, factory reset, and then configured. works fine.

This is with my WRT3200ACM connected directly to my SB8200 Cable Modem.

maybe you should try factory resetting yours on dd-wrt and re-configure.

barryware wrote:

Internet Connection 1

Internet connection 2

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
teknogeek wrote:
I am having the same problem with a new WRT3200ACM.

Stopping here. Not the same problem, different builds, different results, zero configuration details, no effort.

After a partition switch, OEM to DD-WRT, you should nvram erase && reboot and then manually reconfigure.

Set regulatory domain, channel width, valid wireless channel VHT160 36+UUU, 64+LLL, 100+UUU, 128+LLL.

Save. Reboot. If wanting to go beyond basic setup from defaults, test each setting for wireless client results.

DD-WRT wiki Basic Wireless Settings, Advanced Wireless Settings. country tx wireless-regdb.git/tree/db.txt.

scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
I am able to get 300mbps just fine with my WRT3200acm.

I have a V1 3200acm, I have successfully snagged 1000 x 500 (Fiber) on my router +-3% or so with the current ddwrt. BUT, and this is a big but, when I turn on VPN via openvpn in the router, the best speeds I receive is about 130 x 130. So only aprox 10% of my speed, bottle necked by the VPN tunnel I assume, or the lack of processing power in the wrt3200. Not sure which it is. Nordvpn claims they don't limit the throughput, so I assume its the lack of wrt3200 processing abilities.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Processor and RAM vs encryption of a VPN. Has little to do with a provider, save and except what encryption they are using. 130 Mbit/s full duplex is about right for the 3200.

----------------------
leansoli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
teknogeek wrote:

However, as soon as I switch to wifi there are massive performance hits with DD-WRT
someday

I had a similar case. Not related to speed, but DNS resolution problems and devices not "seeing" SSIDs.

The weirdest symptom was that Spotify and Steam would log in without problems, but spotify would show my songs all greyed out and state songs were not available, and steam would refuse to download updates or new games. It would just show 'no internet connection' by the side of each game in the client.

teknogeek wrote:

I've fully dropped DD-WRT for the time being, the speed hit isn't worth it. But I'd love to be able to go back someday

Yup, I returned to stock firmware as well. DD-WRT is unusable in my case. I'd rather stick with the stock firmware and its limitations. Perhaps I'll try other firmware later on.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
@leansoli @teknogeek @Vascodegama

I dont know if you are all talking about VPN related issues with this router, but you are going to need to go with a higher end router to handle VPN functionality.

Yes, I did read about what you said about OpenWRT firmware being able to handle these VPN speeds.

But did you verify that VPN is ACTUALLY working on this router?

how did you test it?

Anyway, here is an EXAMPLE of one of the x86 routers that you MIGHT need

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003136937861.html?spm=a2g0o.search0304.0.0.76b92025rYevpD&algo_pvid=d0d565ff-6cac-400a-a93e-18315e3a6466&algo_exp_id=d0d565ff-6cac-400a-a93e-18315e3a6466-12

They also have these on amazon, ebay, and probably your favorite computer store.

barryware wrote:

Internet Connection 1

Internet connection 2

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Better to ignore drive by comments claiming the same or similar, obvious PEBKAC but here we are r48607.

VPN mostly unrelated. GUI factory defaults, reset button 10 seconds or Telnet root nvram erase && reboot.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't buy the drive-by comments about a WRT3200ACM not being up to handling decent VPN speeds. I have its predecessor router, the WRT1900ACSv2, and have clocked 215 Mbps download via AirVPN using OpenVPN and the Chacha20-Poly1305 data cipher, this over my ISP's nominally 200 Mbps download connection. That's with minimal dd-wrt configuration during initial setup, but even with my final, very involved configuration, I'll get at least half that speed and will do so even when my AirVPN server is having a bad day.

Use a current dd-wrt build (recent ones are faster than those of 1-2 years ago), let MTU on the OpenVPN page default (to 1400 I believe), and you should manage a decent VPN speed with that router. (There are lots of ways to cripple your OpenVPN speed, but MTU being too large is one of the more effective ones.)

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
@SurpisedItWorks: Would help everyone to have specifics. I never said it was impossible to get better than reported speeds, especially now that we have much more efficient cipher choices in hand.

----------------------
Ostddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:08    Post subject: Internet speed problems! Reply with quote
I had V3.0-R47656 since Nov2021 until a few days ago when I changed to the latest V3.0-R49626 in my WRT3200ACM and never had and internet speed issue.

In fact, it's been usually a little bit over my ISP fiber plan of 400 Mbps.

I just tested now and the output was:

445.36 Mbps for ping (Download latency) of 21/22 ms

246.67 Mbps for ping (Upload latency) of 25 ms

Very Happy I'm very happy with dd-wrt. Very Happy

On the other hand, using ExpressVPN (Under OpenVPN) the speeds go down to:

77.85 Mbps for ping (Download latency) of 220/242 ms

43.07 Mbps for ping (Upload latency) of 224 ms

But that's another issue for another thread...

Navigation

Jump to: