r48567 sysinfo page interfaces

plawer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 14:50    Post subject: r48567 sysinfo page interfaces Reply with quote
Posting it here since it's across platforms.

The label entered on the Networking page are showing up on the sysinfo page. I like this.

The minor issue I noticed, is that on the Networking page, there's no place to put a label for br0. I do have an eth0 interface with a label that is associated with br0.

2022-04-01 09_41_40-Window.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.24 KB
 Viewed:  1207 Time(s)

2022-04-01 09_41_40-Window.png

DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you not rename br0 on networking page? The br0 name filed is editable afaik, you may need to adjust it where ever its used also.

I cant see what the issue is tbh.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
plawer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you please screenshot where you see the ability to provide a label for br0? I have checked three different types of routers (Atheros, Broadcam, Marvell) and I do not have anywhere to provide a label for br0 on any of them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

7945645907.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.88 KB
 Viewed:  1138 Time(s)

7945645907.jpg

plawer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
A bit of a risky move with some of the other configuration relying on the name br0. But I found a back door way of setting br0_label via command line.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again, read what I said.

Rename the interface name as detailed and where its used, likely this last part would be automatic.

Since I was involved in the implementation of this feature, Im interested in what this workaround is, likely will be breaking something, but who knows if there is a bug on this.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Since I was involved in the implementation of this feature, Im interested in what this workaround is, likely will be breaking something, but who knows if there is a bug on this.

Code:
nvram set br0_label=blaaaa

7945645908.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.69 KB
 Viewed:  1065 Time(s)

7945645908.jpg

the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unintended feature I guess.

plawer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
The key is that there isn't a place in the GUI to enter the label for br0, so in order to have it operate consistently, br0_label needs to be set via the command-line interface.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, actually you can name interfaces whatever you want.
They don't necessarily have to be named according to the br*/eth*/wlan* scheme

And since no one has tried it, we don't know if it works.

If you add a new "bridge" then you can also freely choose the name.
I think the developer will have thought of something.
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
plawer wrote:
The key is that there isn't a place in the GUI to enter the label for br0, so in order to have it operate consistently, br0_label needs to be set via the command-line interface.

Is not a big issue to add a new column to the tables in specific pages to account new features, problem becomes when you are in certain pages the tables dont have sufficient width to accommodate yet another column and then it breaks especially when labels are too big (account for translations of table headers etc where width of label can often go from OK to insane in some languages).

Then if I hide the overflow to avoid breaking the UI everyone has something to say about either about the breakage or the fix.

In this instance the above is true, there is no more width to add a label table header and column below without causing issues in the UI, as is with current design, its not possible.

Now, I repeat this across many many threads, since how the UI is rendered from umpteen source pages ranging from webconfig files, to C source and asp files a veritable soup of hardcoded HTML and a large amount is not even translated to CSS classes, which existing CSS, a large majority are workarounds and hacks, redesigning the lot is a full time job for months at least, after finding a proof of concept that works, that alone is another set of unknown time...

All good if you are employed to do this full time, not so great when its done on spare time and for free (I do it, for the love of dd-wrt and giving something back to the project that costs $0 to me to use) and ontop you have real life to deal with also which sometimes turns shit upside down and inside out and then side projects especially opensource suffer.

So yea. TL;DR manage your expectations and be glad these things can be done in command line as opposed to not at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: