My public IP address wrong on the WAN page

Ivo_K
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 19:15    Post subject: My public IP address wrong on the WAN page Reply with quote
My Linksys WRT1200AC router is behind the ISP's modem which is in bridge mode and my router operating mode is set to Gateway. I am running version 48425 DD-WRT firmware. Looking at the Status/WAN page of my DD-WRT control panel, I can see the following:

IPv4 Address: 100.125.31.34/22
Gateway: 100.125.28.1

However, my public IP address is presently 213.149.xxx.xxx and I can access both the router itself and the NAS on my network from the internet side using the 213.149.xxx.xxx address.

So, what are the 100.125.xxx.xxx addresses I see on the Status/WAN page?
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something doesn't add up here. Yes, 100.125.x.x is CGNAT, but that's NOT remotely accessible. Not if your ISP provided modem+router has been bridged, and you have 100.125.x.x assigned on your router's WAN. When using CGNAT you don't have a public IP at all!

So something is amiss here in the OP's description. Either your WAN has a public IP or CGNAT (w/ the only the former being usable for remote access), but it can't be both.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't dare to ask how he knew the public IP Wink
Ivo_K
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for your kind replies. To clarify: I can NOT access 100.125.x.x remotely, but YES the 213.149.x.x. address. That latter address (which I in my ignorance call "public") I was able to find using three different methods:

1. going to https://whatismyipaddress.com/
2. using my Synology NAS control panel DDNS info
3. reading the response in the DD-WRT control panel's Setup/DDNS status listing when connecting to an external DDNS service (in my case No-IP.com)

Now, after your kind pointing me to the CGNAT info, I am still puzzled how come that apparently I have both a public IP and CGNAT.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ivo_K wrote:
Now, after your kind pointing me to the CGNAT info, I am still puzzled how come that apparently I have both a public IP and CGNAT.

Everyone always has a public IP. That's what you see when using something like ipchicken.com. Otherwise your primary router couldn't be addressed from the internet. That's the not the issue.

The problem comes when your DD-WRT router has been assigned a *private* CGNAT ip address on the WAN by your ISP, and *they* are controlling the public IP upstream. You can only port forward using the public IP, and only when assigned to your router.

Again, I'm assuming the ISP's modem+router is in bridge mode. If it's NOT, but instead you're double NAT'd, and the ISP's router has the public IP, then you could port forwarded from their router to your DD-WRT router.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Ivo_K
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for your kind help. As I wrote in my original post, the ISP's modem is in bridge mode.

You said "...something is amiss here in the OP's description. Either your WAN has a public IP or CGNAT ...it can't be both. When using CGNAT you don't have a public IP at all!"

But now you state that "Everyone always has a public IP".

So, does my DD-WRT router have a public IP "always" or only when there is no CGNAT? Because it appears to me that I have both. That's what puzzles me. Please forgive my ignorance; as you can see by my status, I am a novice Shocked
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't have a public IP.

The public IP you see belong to your ISP's router that connect ti Internet.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you use CGNAT, then you defacto do not have your own public IP address.
What you see on "whatismyipaddress.com" is the public IP address of your internet service provider.
Exactly the same IP address can be seen by 1000 other customers.

https://www.a10networks.com/wp-content/uploads/cgnat-implementation-of-nat444-800px.png
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: