iOS Devices Dropping Wireless Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
7heblackwolf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Can someone try dissasoc low ack disable in advanced settings, both wlan0 and wlan1, then save and reboot?

That's disabled by default.

In my case, I have it disabled always and this issue still present with devices which are active a couple of meters away from ap.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uhm, we're not using a binary blob driver; the wifi chipset firmware binary blob(s) is(are) the same being used on stock and OpenWRT. I don't know *how* anyone things we are not using Mr. Kaloz's code, other than driver source code is not in the public svn. Just wanted to interject this information so no more disinformation continues on the subject. As for resetting nvram variables, there is and isn't some merit there. Reason being is that nvram is written to during the flash upgrade process and reboot; if an nvram variable does not exist, it is created. If it exists and has old values, it may be ignored... so any change to the value that may fix something might not be committed. This is why sometimes you have to click through and "Save" every page in the webUI and reboot to commit the new values if somehow they were not written. Also, the only recent patches I have found in respect to Divested, PureFusion and stock OpenWRT is the Linux 5.x compile patch(es). So, someone needs to point out specifically what "patches" are being referred to.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
7heblackwolf wrote:
If the blame is on the Marvell drivers, it's easy to think that the solution is to revert them to the working version when 44048 came out. No need to have the source code for that. It just works, we keep that driver version, the rest of the system can be updated. Then everyone's happy.

AND security update that breaks the entire connection sounds like cutting your ethernet cable to prevent hacking. The driver revert until a well working new one comes, is a must to keep at least functionality.

I can't say you're wrong, certainly, but the idea has come up multiple times in these forum discussions of the issue, and to my knowledge, it hasn't been tried in spite of the fact that BS certainly watches the new-build forums where these discussions happen. To me that means either he knows that the problem is not the drivers or that he knows or strongly suspects that the problem addressed with the driver change is too serious to ignore. I think we have to respect his judgement on this one. (Not that we really have a choice.)

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
7heblackwolf wrote:
That's disabled by default.
Ah you are correct, forgot about this post.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
In response to the driver issue(s), I will say this: I have personally emailed BS on at least one occasion about this and he's specifically said that there is nothing to fix or that it's a known issue; meaning he can't seem to find any way to manipulate the driver code to fix this.

That being said, if we were using the stock firmware binary blob object file drivers, we would have to use a specific kernel version, or rather a kernel version that is in the same kernel family as stock firmware (i.e. if it were Linux 3.x, we would have to use Linux 3.x). I will say that most all of the Linux 3.x and newer kernels here are getting backports patches from mainline (Linux 5.x), so if that is in play here as far as the "problem", and we are using OpenWRT's drivers, ... and I forgot where I was going with this. Other than to also interject that the open-source, already-present kernel driver code for mwifiex is configured in the kernel configs... along with mwlwifi @ kaloz.

----------------------
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
From a PM 3 days ago that someone didn't post publicly (again, this is exactly what I was talking about):
blkt wrote:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/users-needed-to-test-wi-fi-stability-on-linksys-wrt3200acm-wrt32x-on-openwrt-21-02-0-rc4/101700

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/fixed-21-02-0-rc2-wrt3200acm-wireless-is-broken/98719

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/pre-compiled-updated-mwlwifi-drivers-for-stable-releases/3262/682

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/divested-wrt-no-nonsense-hardened-builds-for-linksys-wrt-series/80522/535

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/davidc502-wrt1200ac-wrt1900acx-wrt3200acm-wrt32x-builds/15839/6064

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/purefusion-wrt3200acm-wrt32x-wrt1200ac-wrt1900acs-wrt1900acv1-wrt1900acv2-builds/100399/20

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
You asked for links and I did a simple search to then relay for confirmation, as these are basic observations?

Anyway r44048 did not have ath2 in GUI so maybe wlan2 package needs complete removal, GUI and configs.

Maybe I am wrong or just total time waste, but at this point only throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Added a reference sticky for all the threads discussing this never-ending issue with Apple / wifi settings. I left out the discussion in build threads since that would've ballooned the post into an infinite scroll.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330049

@blkt: The interface renaming was to separate QCA-specific from others. Not sure if there will be future changes to separate Broadcom, Marvell, MediaTek/Ralink.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sigh maybe you should have read above threads 3 days ago, not ignore to randomly regurgitate here.

It is not about renaming at all, only mentioned ath2 & wlan2 to differentiate r44048 and current builds.

I was referencing the mwifiex packages for sd8887 along with any configurations generated for them.

Maybe only strange coincidence r44048 is so reliable with ath2 missing entirely from wireless settings.

Better to read entire threads or past month instead of focus on posts listed here. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
dxi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per following bugtrackers, this issue should already be fixed in more recent releases:
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/7371
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/7255
Ivo_K
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 21:29    Post subject: Problem solved! (at least for me) Reply with quote
I have now just tried my luck and installed v3.0-r48322 std (02/11/22). No more drops. All my devices now stay connected and work as expected.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was no luck about it. Smile
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Freedom to discuss and confuse people; it's what people wanted. And here we are, bumping an irrelevant thread. Awesome.

----------------------
Ivo_K
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:58    Post subject: One problem solved, another appeared Reply with quote
With the v3.0-r48322 std (02/11/22) firmware the iOS devices indeed no longer disconnect and that's great. However, I noticed that the iOS connection speed is about half of what it used to be. My PC that uses WiFi 6 works fine and obtains full speed (almost same as when wired). My other PC that uses WiFi 4 and 5 doesn't even see the 5 GHz network and refuses to connect to the 2.4 GHz one. I tried two other firmware versions - 44715 (latest listed in the DD-WRT database) and 48362 (latest beta published today), but the two issues are the same; iOS devices on half speed and my other PC not seeing 5 GHz and not connecting to 2.4 GHz.

I guess I'll have to revert to 44048 Sad
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Need information on how to reproduce. I'm not seeing any issues.

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: