Flash Buffalo WZR-1166DHP Ver. 2.15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Lauu9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 16:20    Post subject: Flash Buffalo WZR-1166DHP Ver. 2.15 Reply with quote
Hi,
I have a Buffalo WZR-1166DHP (Version 2.15 (R1.01/86.30.163-1.02-1.02))
Broadcom BCM4708A0 CPU (800MHz Dual Core, with switch)
which I have swapped out for a new Asus Router which supports WPA3.
I would like to install DD-WRT on the Buffalo and give it to a friend who has a very, very old Netgear router and is a bit short of spare cash – something that is not likely to improve any time soon!

I see that the WZR-1166DHP is supported and has 2 files listed:-
DD-WRT: Factory flash and DD-WRT: Webupgrade.
Plus “Supported by v3.0 [Beta] Build 44715” ftp listed as 11-03-2020-r44715
ftp also has Index of /dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/01-17-2022-r48138/buffalo_wzr-1166dhp/

However, there is no additional info. Whereas the Asus RT-AC56U (which I believe uses the same chipset) has specific installation instructions.

I have looked at the Firmware FAQ and the Peacock Thread – gone around a few loops and I am still not 100% certain as to how to proceed. Only found 2015 thread in BC SoC forum, bit out of date.

I found “the factory-to-ddwrt file is to flash the router from OEM to DD-WRT. The webflash file is to upgrade when already running DD-WRT.” Which I assumed on first reading of the Router Database. However, I cannot find any specific installation instructions for this router.

So my query is;-
I reset to factory, (can be done over web WZR-1166DHP interface)
Flash the factory-to-ddwrt file, over the 1166 web interface.
Do a reset, done by pressing the reset button on the bottom of the router.
Check that it boots OK, log into the web interface.
Do a reset.
Flash the DD-WRT: Webupgrade file, using the web interface --- here I am uncertain which file/files to use.

Do I use the v3.0 [Beta] Build 44715 or the dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/01-17-2022-r48138/buffalo_wzr-1166dhp/ files and are the above steps correct ?

Any helpful pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Broadcom SoC based Hardware -> New Build - 01/17/2022 - r48138 -> buffalo_wzr-1166dhp

Last edited by blkt on Tue Jan 18, 2022 16:36; edited 1 time in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not know if there is specific information about this router but a lot of information can be found in the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

You should not use the router database (other than sometimes for first flash, which indeed you have to do with the factory-to-ddwrt file)

Perhaps wait for others to chime in which have more experience with this router but otherwise your upgrade path makes sense (I would perhaps skip one reset).

The most important reset is after upgrading to the definitive version (48138)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be able to use factory-to-ddwrt to flash from stock webUI. There is no device wiki for this one, but it's been discussed a few times since 2013:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177531
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177671
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=257736
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=261160
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317035
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322714

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Lauu9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
To all who posted, many thanks for the swift replies (I’m impressed)

O.K I will use the link that I found (para2, line4) which is confirmed by “blkt”

I looked through the 6 links sent by “kernel-panic69”. One of which (a total failure!) I had already found. The results were 2 links were positive and 4 neg.
Link 5 refers to 1800H & WHR - “kooper2013”, but not WZR. As I do know the significance of the differing versions and the WZR was not mentioned, I skipped this.

I will use the recommended files & give it a go being sure to reset after the 48138 flash, mentioned by “egc”

Only thing I have not found is MD5 or SHA sums for the files I will be downloading.

Will post back with detailed steps leading to results.

Thanks for your help.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lauu9 wrote:
Only thing I have not found is MD5 or SHA sums for the files I will be downloading.

Which you will not find as these are no longer generated. Perhaps someone can convince BrainSlayer to start doing this again or provide a script to add to the build script(s) so this is done automagically.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Lauu9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 0:02    Post subject: Successful Flash of Buffalo Air Station WZR-1166DHP Reply with quote
Successful Flash of Buffalo Air Station WZR-1166DHP Version 2.15

An Air Station (AS) review can be found here;-
“www.smallnetbuilder.com-› Wireless-› Wireless Reviews” search for WZR-1166DHP
The first item in the returned list has a “component summary and comparison” showing the CPU as a Broadcom chip (no AS ver. given.) Once you know that the AS probably uses a Broadcom chipset this makes for more efficient browsing of the dd-wrt site/forums.

After some dd-wrt reading and forum help, it turned out to be a trivial operation with only one head scratching moment.
If it helps anyone else, here are the steps used.

1.) Broadcom dd-wrt files used (link thanks to “blkt”)

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/01-17-2022-r48138/buffalo_wzr-1166dhp/

The actual files buffalo-wzr-1166dhp-webflash.bin & factory-to-dd-wrt.bin

Observation: In my download folder there are just the 2 files named as above, neither have any simple version identification and no associated MD5 or SHA hashes, which might lead to a problem for future users. While writing this I had to backtrack and double check, plus I then hashed the files to be certain.
A possible 4 extra characters would be useful Week number-Year, 17-Jan-2022 = 0322 (week starts Monday) or perhaps Vnn if released versions are <99. One cannot rely on file size as it is possible to make changes and keep the same sizes, very rare but not impossible.

buffalo-wzr-1166dhp-webflash.bin 17-Jan-2022 08:57 26451968
Code:
:~/Downloads$ sha256sum buffalo-wzr-1166dhp-webflash.bin
85cbd69c9e0cbe266586300bb447d8d858cdea48c3b6276fd143d697ba5228d9  buffalo-wzr-1166dhp-webflash.bin

factory-to-dd-wrt.bin 17-Jan-2022 08:57 26476816
Code:
:~/Downloads$ sha256sum factory-to-dd-wrt.bin
36ba43da252f5cc29f5fb20d053c506bf38f2c58cc51101f9505b6813d96ece1  factory-to-dd-wrt.bin

Note:
In the forum viewtopic.php?t=331290 you will find:-

Issues, observations, and/or workarounds reported:
• WebUI: Clear history or use a portable. Temporary cache bypass: Ctrl+F5, Cmd+Shift+R or new private window/incognito.

2.) On the writers AS the rear panel top switch (labelled AP - WP) was set to AP. (p10 manual.)
If you need a manual, one can be found at http://www.manualslib.com/
Note: the WZR-1750DHP User Manual also covers the WZR-1166DHP.

3.) The two programs, above, were copied to the “Home” folder of a laptop running Linux.
SHA256 sums were checked and the laptop was connected to the AS LAN port 4 with a CAT5e ethernet cable.

4.) A Firefox browser set to “Clear all History, Everything” and “New Private Window” was used to connect to the AS web interface.

5.) Before first firmware flash do an AS factory reset.
a) Hardware Reset button on bottom of AS case. (if passwords forgotten)
To reset all settings, hold down this button until the Buffalo LED turns red (about 3 seconds). The power must be on for this to work. Manual page 12.

b) From the AS web interface, go to Admin – Reset / Reboot and select
“Initialize AirStation” and hit the “Execute” button. This will return the AS to its factory default settings.

Power off - on. If the Buffalo reset was successful then the Web log in changes to;-

Default LAN-side IP address: 192.168.11.1
Username: admin
Default password: password

6.) Once in the AS web interface both radios, 2.4 & 5 GHz need to be turned OFF.
Click the “Wireless” panel on the opening page, then, in the “Wireless LAN” graphic remove the “Enable” tick’s for each frequency band. (Pg. 20 of manual)
With both wireless radios disabled, the AirStation will not communicate wirelessly.
As there is no connection to the “Internet” port, it should be empty, there is now no external signals to interrupt the flashing process.

7.) Flash 1: factory-to-dd-wrt.bin
Buffalo Admin – Update Firmware
On this page click the button “Specify a file on your PC”
Now click the “Browse...” button, select the factory-to-dd-wrt.bin file
Click “Update Firmware” button.

Wait until the upload completes, several minutes.

You now have to login again as the DD-WRT transitional firmware changes defaults thus;-

Default LAN-side IP address: 192.168.1.1
Username: root
Default password: admin

If you change the password use a simple password, because it will be overwritten by the next flash. You now have access to a transitional DD-WRT system on the WZR-1166DHP.

Select the DD-WRT Administration tab → Factory Defaults, click “Yes” then the Apply Settings Button. (root/admin again to log in after this step.)

8.) Flash 2: buffalo-wzr-1166dhp-webflash.bin
Select the DD-WRT Administration tab → Firmware Upgrade.
Click Browse, select the ...-webflash.bin file. Also select reset to default in the “After flashing...” menu.
Hit the “Upgrade” button.
Do NOT turn OFF yet.

Login again, and DD-WRT requires a new password to be set. Treat this pw like it will be the one you will use for some time.

Warning keep this password simple and write it down somewhere where you will not loose it (not on a PC device! well o.k if you trust your pw manager 100%.) See sect 9.

With a simple password set you can test the 2.4 & 5GHz radios with user mobile logins without having an Internet connection.

To turn off either transmitter go to tab Wireless → Basic Settings, here under “Wireless Network Mode” select “Disabled” in the pop-up-menu.

The Buffalo Air Station is now running DD_WRT.

9) Head scratching bit.
The reason for being VERY careful about recording passwords is that the Buffalo hardware “reset” button does not work under DD-WRT at present, 30 Sec and 30-30 Sec have been tried to no avail.

If for any reason the user name or login password becomes corrupted, lost or forgotten, then it could turn into a very difficult task to correct the problem particularly if telnet or ssh were not enabled - both come with some security risks.

Thus it is probably best not to put the router on the internet until this problem is resolved by a firmware update, leading to easy resets by the hardware button thus allowing easily corrected lost passwords.

Router dummies, like me, prefer the easier route of pushing a button and retyping my setup, makes sure I have a good idea of what is set.
[/size]
Code:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: