Used Netgear R7800

MysticGold04
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 0:48    Post subject: Used Netgear R7800 Reply with quote
Just bought a used R7800 for $85.00 on ebay. What should I expect with this router? Those of you that own this router, what is your experience with DD-WRT? I am planning on making this my gateway, and then using my RT-AC68u's as client bridges as before. I also plan on using static leases and running QoS with the CAKE scheduler.
ASUS RT-AC68U Gateway/AP r54604
Edgerouter-4, v2.0.9-hotfix7
Sponsor
ikwyl6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think if you do a web search using this forum you for your “site:” will find a lot of people liking this machine. It’s all people really say to get. I’m trying to get one as well. I have a R7000 and that is pretty great but it doesn’t give me the max download speeds I should be getting. I do know some people have gotten close to 900Mb or higher for people with Gigabit ISP speeds. I believe the cpu and memory and very good for additional services etc to run on it. Besides that other people who have the machine can chime in but Inknow from reading it’s the one that most people say to get with dd-wrt.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
You made a good life choice.

I like this router because it uses a 1.7ghz Qualcomm Atheros SOC, has 512MB of ram, two USB 3.0 ports, and has a max theoretical of 1.7gbps wireless CAPACITY.

by capacity I mean It can handle around a little over 1gbps of total wireless activity and probably even throughput.

Used to use it as my main router but now I use it as my NAS AP which also does really good in that area. I can get around 500-1gpbs depending on what I am copying/moving from the NAS. Would probably be more consistent at 1gbps if it was an SSD instead of an HDD for the NAS part of the router.

EDIT: Just tested it and yes, VHT160mhz does actually work on this router IF YOU CONFIGURE IT RIGHT.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a similar setup to you but use an R7000 running DD-WRT as a repeater bridge and bought an R7800 a fortnight ago to replace my gateway R7000 which was also running DD-WRT and am still playing with it.

I flashed the R7800 and it didn't seem to be quite as good with its connection to the R7000 RB when compared to the R7000 it replaced so I swopped it back to stock an hour later to see what it would then do and in stock it definitely outperforms the R7000 it replaced.

The big caveat with this is that I did not spend much time tinkering with the R7800 when it had DD-WRT on it so please do not assume it will be better as stock. I will within the next month or so be putting DD back on it as I was in no way fair in the initial testing of it running DD.

Unless you have already put DD-WRT on it I would suggest you run it as stock for a few days first and then change it to DD and update this thread with your conclusions.

Oh, and HT160 in stock is working fine my end.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive a R7800 don't know from how long now...at least 5+ years, the first one i got is still running at student accommodation where it sees heavy use everyday...
Just for the record ive never used the stock firmware on it as it doesn't have what...i need...and i dont trust it as well...back in the days stock was full of security holes...and even nowadays, compare to DDWRT stock firmware doesn't see that many security fixes and binary updates as DDWRT does...
Trough the years i got many R7800, that i installed here and there all they run DDWRT flawlessly...

for more details about first installation
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614

good to set your wifi according QCA wi fi settings guide:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

off topic...
I also have R7000 witch has a Broadcom radio and has a slower CPU but for my needs its ok..you can see what i use it for in my signature
I do posses R9000 as well...although it has a better specifications and better performance..it switch is not that easy configurable and R7800 is still the best performance router in my router stack...
Overall R7800 is still the best price/performance/support router...
its new revision is Netgear XR500 witch is a reboxed R7800 with a bit more ram and running Duma OS

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
You made a good life choice.

I like this router because it uses a 1.7ghz Qualcomm Atheros SOC, has 512MB of ram, two USB 3.0 ports, and has a max theoretical of 1.7gbps wireless CAPACITY.

by capacity I mean It can handle around a little over 1gbps of total wireless activity and probably even throughput.

Used to use it as my main router but now I use it as my NAS AP which also does really good in that area. I can get around 500-1gpbs depending on what I am copying/moving from the NAS. Would probably be more consistent at 1gbps if it was an SSD instead of an HDD for the NAS part of the router.

EDIT: Just tested it and yes, VHT160mhz does actually work on this router IF YOU CONFIGURE IT RIGHT.

The CPU sucks.
This is a 10 year old SMARTPHONE processor with krait 300 cores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_processors#Snapdragon_S4_Pro_and_Snapdragon_S4_Prime_%282012%29

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065

The CPU has 100% load at ~1Gbit WLAN TX (transmit)
With Cake QoS and combined 140Mbit up and download and many connections the CPU has 100% load

The limiting factor in the router is always the processor.
The QCA9984 radios in an x86 manage stable and consistent 1Gbit in both directions - without problems.

Only with the stock firmware and the used NSS cores the router has a solid 1Gbit WLAN performance.

and anything below 750Mbit is bullshit
650Mbit throughput can also be achieved with VHT80 2x2
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:

The CPU sucks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_processors#Snapdragon_S4_Pro_and_Snapdragon_S4_Prime_%282012%29

With Cake QoS and combined 140Mbit up and download and many connections the CPU has 100% load

The QCA9984 radios in an x86 manage stable and consistent 1Gbit in both directions - without problems.

Only with the stock firmware and the used NSS cores the router has a solid 1Gbit WLAN performance.

CPU is only terrible if dd-wrt cannot make full use of the NSS cores. But I havent read about that part much so I dont know if dd-wrt really does or not.

Not a "smart phone processor". Its uses an ipq8065. Qualcomm calls this their "Internet Processor". Just because it uses krait 300 cores does not make it a "smart phone" processor.

And since you seem to hate this router, you got any better suggestions? Would like to hear what you have to suggest.

I would assume it would be a Netgear R9000 that comes bundled with Sudden Defective Syndrome.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
ho1Aetoo wrote:

The CPU sucks.

CPU is only terrible if dd-wrt cannot make full use of the NSS cores. But I havent read about that part much so I dont know if dd-wrt really does or not.

Not a "smart phone processor". Its uses an ipq8065. Qualcomm calls this their "Internet Processor". Just because it uses krait 300 cores does not make it a "smart phone" processor.

And since you seem to hate this router, you got any better suggestions? Would like to hear what you have to suggest.

I would assume it would be a Netgear R9000 that comes bundled with Sudden Defective Syndrome.

Of course this is a smartphone processor, they just took their 10 year old Krait 300 cores and packed them into their so called "internet processor".
Doesn't change the fact that the cores are 10 years old and designed for smartphones.

The cores are from the Snapdragon S4 Pro and Snapdragon S4 Prime (2012).

And they are not able to provide enough performance for a gigabit router without the use of copressors.

And I don't hate the router, I just think the processor is lousy.

Anyone who knows anything about Qualcomm processors knows that Qualcomm also produces much better CPUs.

The IPQ Arkonite processors were released in 2015 and at that time Qualcomm already had Snapdragon octa core processors with (4x2Ghz + 4x1,5Ghz).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-810-MSM8994-SoC.116952.0.html

So please don't tell me that Qualcomm didn't put obsolete stuff into the IPQ processors.

Wink

One year later in 2013, decent and usable CPUs were already available:

Snapdragon 800, 801:

4 cores up to 2.26 GHz Krait 400
4 cores up to 2.36 GHz Krait 400

They should have used these CPU cores instead.
I also can't imagine that it would have been much more expensive, depending on the purchase quantity the mobile high-end CPU's cost 30-50$.

By the way, they did the same crap again with their Networking Pro AX platform.
The CPU's are again too slow and only reach the performance with additional NPU's (neural processing units).

Even the term "neural processing unit" should clarify where the technology actually comes from.

No one in their right mind builds an "AI router".
Unless you simply take existing technology from the smartphone sector and put it into so-called "internet processors".

Mr. Green
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone "much smarter than me" should implement a patch for the NSS cores. #devilsadvocate
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
All mind boggling fascinating technical stuff, most of which I didn't particularly understand although I tend to check my routers out a different way which is 'does it in physical use work better than the one before, if yes then keep it and don't put it back on Fleabay'.

So far, for me the R7800 in stock is working better than the DD-WRT R7000 it replaced i.e. I have a stronger signal, higher SNR and higher link rate with my R7000 repeater bridge and its operation as a NAS (Readyshare) seems crispier, now there's a proper technical term! Very Happy
nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
So i use a 7800 which was my main router for about 2 yrs. At the time i was using it predecessor a TP-link Archer c7 v2 as a WDS STA.

Currently my ISP speed is 100/30 though i am upgrading that as im hitting some limits when everyone is streaming.

Now i have a r9000 as primary and a 7800 as secondary wds.

Both seem to run really well if you configure to best practice. I would reccomend 47695 if using wds, if not the latest code should be fine.

in terms of QOS, i backed off of HFSC/cake a while ago in favor of HTB/codel fast - mostly due to cpu/mem at 80MB+ utilizations.the htb - pie combo is also pretty good.

I have about 25 connected devices at peak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: