EX6200 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jamullinstx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 19:30    Post subject: EX6200 questions Reply with quote
I'm reconfiguring my network for various reasons and am re-using some old Netgear equipment for the project. I have 2x R8000s and 1x EX6200. The plan is to use them as combo switches/wireless access points for individual subnets downstream of a pfSense box that is handling all routing functionality. One subnet for the office, 1 for the entertainment stuff & one for general purpose home networking.

I've successfully flashed the R8000s to DD-WRT 47822 with no issues. However, there are some trouble indicators on the EX6200 that I thought I'd run by the experts before I get too deep and end up spending days on troubleshooting.

2G and 5G radio indicators are red, despite that with a wireless signal analyzer I see them over the air.
    The default config is for 1 port assigned as WAN, the other 4 as LAN. I know that Assign WAN to switch option is gone, but this device was OEMed as a wireless extender with no WAN interface. Is the default config still applicable for this device?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ex6200+site%3Aforum.dd-wrt.com
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
jamullinstx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 20:03    Post subject: Follow up Reply with quote
Thanks for the RTFM. I'd already read the forum entries. The closest to my situation is:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323879

except that I don't have all the problems of that entry. I can reach the DD-WRT WebUI, perform configuration, etc. It just makes me nervous that the indicators don't behave as I expect from past dd-wrt flashes. Is the best course of action to:

1. Reset from within the UI?
    2. Re-flash using a newer build?
    3. Then redo the configs?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume you are on 47822 on the EX6200 (?). You can reset from within the webUI and if you still feel that's not enough, you can do an 'nvram erase && reboot' from telnet / ssh and reconfigure from scratch not using an nvram backup. You are always free to upgrade to an even newer release:

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

----------------------
jamullinstx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Guru. Yes, I was on 47822 on all 3 devices. I reset the device using the reset function within the WebUI, then upgraded using r48081. Still get the same behavior on the wireless indicators, but the SSID is visible using a network analyzer.

I guess I'll have to swing for the fences and connect it to the WAN to see if it can deliver some IP addresses from the main router when a wireless device connects.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have one of these to tell you exactly what configuration changes are required, if any; but I would suspect that you configure it as a wired AP if the default configuration is as if it were a standard router with WAN port.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

The indicators issue is likely one of those things where certain information was not available to make them work as expected; purely cosmetic.

----------------------
ghent96
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an EX6200 also, but am converting it from an extender, to a router.

However, if you essentially want it to remain an extender (get internet/WAN from wifi signal, and provide LAN connection to nearby devices) then I would just keep the stock Netgear firmware. It seemed pretty good, actually, and lets you configure the EX6200 2 ways:

1) to get a LAN internet and broadcast it to wifi devices, or
2) to get a wifi signal and send it out to 5 LAN devices.

The EX6200 also has both 2.4 and 5ghz radios, so it can "fastbridge" and use one radio for each connection, allowing faster throughput supposedly. eg - 2.5ghz to connect to the devices and the 5ghz to connect to a central router.

I briefly tested that, and seemed great, but had little interest because we get great wifi signals throughout our 2 story wood house, and the current (TP-link Archer C50) router is in the basement (3 floors down, essentially). But that old router keeps dropping connections every few minutes while wife is GTA'ing and kids are Robloxing. So.... enter EX6200 that I got at a garage sale for a few bucks, DDWRT'd to a new router!

I wouldn't worry about the indicators, as others said above.

I'm just learning about the EX6200 and DDWRT also, and would like to work together and hear more of your story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: