Using DD-WRT as DNS with DHCP disabled

tyrannosaurHex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:42    Post subject: Using DD-WRT as DNS with DHCP disabled Reply with quote
Device: Archer A7
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47942 std (12/30/21)

DDWRT is the secondary router, connected as Access Point to the ISP router. Screenshots for the setup are attached.

While trying to set the DDWRT as DNS server, the network goes into loop of sorts with loss of internet connectivity. This is despite setting DNSmasq as authoritative server for DNS request.

If I don't set DDWRT as DNS server in the ISP router, then of course, the DNS set in the ISP router is used.

Is there a way to do this?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have set the router to use itself as upstream dns. That will make an infinite loop.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
A better way to do this is to hand out the real DNS server IP addresses of the ISP to your desktops and clients and not use dd-wrt as a dns server or your ISP's router as a dns server at all. Both of those dns servers are caching dns servers. Your ISP's dns servers are the real deal.
tyrannosaurHex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
A better way to do this is to hand out the real DNS server IP addresses of the ISP to your desktops and clients and not use dd-wrt as a dns server or your ISP's router as a dns server at all. Both of those dns servers are caching dns servers. Your ISP's dns servers are the real deal.

I disagree with the last sentence. ISP DNS servers are ignored if the DNS is set at router level, and router's DNS is ignored if device level DNS is configured.

https://superuser.com/questions/1399044/does-a-routers-dns-settings-overwrite-a-devices-dns-settings

From the horse's mouth, further down the thread:
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/220008627-Does-the-Router-DNS-overrule-computer-mobile-device-DNS-

Since there are 12+ connected devices in my household, for ease of use(and my sanity), I think it is better to have one point of configuration than 12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: