Updating the Wiki for DD WRT and OpenDNS

semipelagian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 13:08    Post subject: Updating the Wiki for DD WRT and OpenDNS Reply with quote
Hi there,

I've come back to using DD WRT after a break for a few years. Firstly, thank for for all the effort that goes into it, the forum and the wiki. An amazing help.

I've used the article at https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenDNS a lot in the last few days as I've been setting up OpenDNS on the network.

One problem that I was having was the router continuing to get the ISP's DNS servers and provide them to the network so I used the 'strict order' solution in this article to stop that.

However, later I noticed that another option is to check the 'Ignore WAN DNS' button on the Setup>Basic Setup tab. This seems to continue to allow the router to randomly select from the list of DNS servers provided without straying on to the ones provided by the ISP.

This also seems to work. If others can confirm this, it would probably a good idea to add this option to the Wiki age mentioned above? I'm assuming it's a relatively recent update and so hasn't been added to the Wiki so far.(I couldn't see an option to register for editing the Wiki so I assume an admin has to do that.)

Anyway, thanks again! Looking forward to getting back into DD-WRT again!

Steve
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wiki has been edited accordingly to remove redundant items to point people to use "Query In Strict Order" radio button and add the "Ignore WAN DNS" setting step(s). Thanks for the input!
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: