Issues with Intel wireless client / Hackintosh / HeliPort

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
seb666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:59    Post subject: Issues with Intel wireless client / Hackintosh / HeliPort Reply with quote
Hi,
a few days ago, after having read that the Apple client issue was solved, I updated from r44048 to the current version, running r47942 at the moment.
I did a factory reset and configured everything from scratch through the GUI.

So far everything is running smoothly except for one thing:
I have a Lenovo T460 laptop running macOS ("Hackintosh").
There's a helper application called HeliPort that provides support for the builtin Intel AC 8260 wifi card.
With r44048 that worked perfectly well, but with the latest release, I'm unable to get a "full" connection, instead I'm seeing these messages in syslog constantly repeating:
Code:

Dec 31 09:42:41 linksys hostapd: wlan0: STA f0:d5:bf:xx:xx:xx MLME: auth request, signal -40 (Accepted)
Dec 31 09:42:41 linksys hostapd: wlan0: STA f0:d5:bf:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Dec 31 09:42:41 linksys hostapd: wlan0: STA f0:d5:bf:xx:xx:xx MLME: assoc request, signal -40 (Accepted)
Dec 31 09:42:41 linksys hostapd: wlan0: STA f0:d5:bf:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 3)

There is no error message on either end.
Has anyone seen anything like this and may be able to point me in the right direction?
I'm not sure if I maybe missed a wireless setting...

Sebastian
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure there is anything that can be done, since it's "Hackintosh", and the upstream wireless driver has had commits since the last release. This isn't an "Apple" issue by the very nature of the fact that it's "Hackintosh", IMHO. But without screenshots of your settings... what can be suggested (or not) is a mystery.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
seb666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for replying!
I wasn't trying to suggest that this was an "Apple" issue, sorry if I gave that impression.
I have a bunch of actual Apple devices that stopped working reliably with the post r44048 releases, which fortunately now seems to be a thing of the past - this is my reason for finally updating.

I just had that spare T460 lying around and a few weeks back decided to see how macOS would run on it.
Since I did not encounter that current issue with r44048, either something has changed in DD-WRT or I forgot some apparently important setting.
I was hoping someone would have seen this behavior before and could maybe point me in the right direction.

I have attached my 5G and 2.4G settings, as well as the wireless security settings - nothing special, really, as I didn't touch any of the advanced settings.

Anyway, if there's no apparent cause, I'm fine with using a cable connection for now and try an updated version of the wifi driver.

Sebastian
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
My suggestion is to pick one network authentication protocol that all of your client devices support (i.e. WPA2 Personal) with CCMP-128(AES) Algorithm. That may be where your issue lies. I would've probably opted for some flavor of Linux over Hackintosh, but then again... I have considered doing a Hackintosh install to see if some software I use on MacOS would work on it, lol.

----------------------
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had similar problems with two devices about one year ago after an update. The solution was to "forget" my wireless network on the device and than reconnect to my wireless network. Since you updated from such and old release to the current release it may be worth trying this.

Also when updating from such an old release, depending on the modem model, it is good to reboot both the modem and router to allow them to renegotiate their connection. I doubt this is your problem but it can fix some issues going from old to new releases. Your modem may not require a reboot after such a jump in router firmware.

Also, its sorta the norm for both radios to have only WPA2 Personal and CCMP-128 (AES) checked and nothing else for wireless security settings for the best connection success among all devices.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps Wireless Network mode NG-Mixed instead of BG Mixed

Do not use Auto Channel always choose a channel.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
seb666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the culprit: apparently the Hackintosh does not like the "WPA2 Personal with SHA256" option.
I now have WPA2 personal and WPA3 personal checked, which works.
The T460 connects fine and my iDevices still use WPA3.
Checking my old r44048 screenshots, I just noticed that I left out the SHA256 option before as well, d'oh... #-)

Thanks a lot guys! I think it's time to end the year Wink

Sebastian
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so these other shiny silver squirrels didn't catch didn't catch my attention earlier, lol Rolling Eyes
Monza wrote:
I had similar problems with two devices about one year ago after an update. The solution was to "forget" my wireless network on the device and than reconnect to my wireless network.

egc wrote:
Perhaps Wireless Network mode NG-Mixed instead of BG Mixed

Do not use Auto Channel always choose a channel.

This is what I was thinking may be the case, but went for keep it simple, stupid. Glad you got it sorted out. Happy New Year!
seb666 wrote:
I found the culprit: apparently the Hackintosh does not like the "WPA2 Personal with SHA256" option.
I now have WPA2 personal and WPA3 personal checked, which works.
The T460 connects fine and my iDevices still use WPA3.
Checking my old r44048 screenshots, I just noticed that I left out the SHA256 option before as well, d'oh... #-)

Thanks a lot guys! I think it's time to end the year Wink

Sebastian

----------------------
seb666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Happy New Year, everyone!
Just to wrap this up and not ignore @Monza and @egc's suggestions:

I already tried forgetting and re-connect to the network, but that did not change anything.

My 2.5GHz network is only used by a few legacy devices of which one will not work in NG-mixed mode, this is why I set it to BG-mixed.
This network has it's own SSID, so I can explicitely choose to use or not use it with a specific device.
The T460 connects to the 5GHz network.

I have used a manual channel with the 5GHz network in the past, but with the constantly changing radio environment in my neighborhood, at some point the chosen channel might not be optimal.
I just set it to auto and have no complaints so far.

Besides, I still have not found an expanation what exactly the extension channel desgnations mean, i.e. LL/LU/UL/UU.
To my understanding - and now we get completely off-topic - a 5GHz 802.11n channel is 40 MHz wide and a specific channel's frequency designates the center frequency, i.e. we're using 20MHz below and 20MHz above that.
Since 802.11ac uses 80MHz channels, we need 2x20MHz more, this is where the extension channel(s) come in, right?
So, if I get this right, L means "lower" and U mean "upper" and an extension channel set to "LL" means that we allocate the additional 2x20MHz at the lower spectrum of our channel?
If we think in 20MHz "blocks", with "LL" we would get three blocks below the channel frequency and one block above - is this correct?
Vice versa, with "UU" we would have one block below the center frequency and three blocks above.
But then, what do those "+6/-6/+2/-2" numbers associated with the extension channel setting mean?
And why is there a difference between LU and UL?
If my assumptions are correct, UL/LU would each allocate one 20MHz block from the upper end and one from the lower end of our channel.

Sebastian
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is only one correct extension channel for each primary channel.
Therefore it is best not to play around with the extension channels - as they are correctly selected when "allow channel overlapping" is disabled.

1. select channel width
2. select channel
3. apply

wrong extension channels lead to many clients either not connecting at all or only with 20Mhz

for example the channels 36 40 44 can never be LL - because there is no space in the spectrum and this can not be 80Mhz

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:04; edited 2 times in total
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
further explanation:

40 UL(+2)

40 = primary 20Mhz channel
U = 80Mhz channel is above the primary channel
L = 40MHz channel is below the primary channel
(+2) = 80Mhz center frequency is 42 (primary channel +2)

Edit: lost pictures attached

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Sun Jan 02, 2022 16:46; edited 2 times in total
seb666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, thank you very much for that perfect explanation!
I think it's finally completely clear to me now Smile

Sebastian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: