[SOLVED] OpenVPN Client-no warnings/errors NOR success

doorStopped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 23:22    Post subject: [SOLVED] OpenVPN Client-no warnings/errors NOR success Reply with quote
Hi all,
DD-WRT user for a few years, first time poster here.

I'm wondering if I've a build that's not working for OpenVPN Client? VPN provider (Windscribe)suggested this build as a stable DD-WRT I could use r47282.

I'm starting with this query based on the router's log lacking warnings or errors, just startup of openvpn, and hours trying various config changes.
If the log/data here is not indicative of my using a wrong build, I can post more detailed config settings for the VPN, or otherwise as suggested.

Device: Netgear R6700 v1; Broadcom BCM4709A0 @1000
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47282 std (08/30/21)

Configured as Gateway Mode, enabling DHCP, OpenVPN, USB, SAMBA

Dec 30 12:29:18 ip_ user.info : openvpn : OpenVPN daemon (Client) starting/restarting...
Dec 30 12:29:18 ip_ user.info : openvpn : PBR is not empty or does not start with a # now using setroute_pbr(): <xx.xx.xx.xx/xx>
Dec 30 12:29:18 ip_ user.info : openvpn : PBR is active but NO killwitch: 10.<xx.xx.xx/xx>
Dec 30 12:29:22 ip_ user.info : vpn modules : vpn modules successfully unloaded
Dec 30 12:29:22 ip_ user.info : vpn modules : nf_conntrack_proto_gre successfully loaded
Dec 30 12:29:22 ip_ user.info : vpn modules : nf_nat_proto_gre successfully loaded
Dec 30 12:29:22 ip_ user.info : vpn modules : nf_conntrack_pptp successfully loaded
Dec 30 12:29:22 ip_ user.info : vpn modules : nf_nat_pptp successfully loaded
Dec 30 12:29:24 ip_ user.info : process_monitor : daemon successfully stopped
Dec 30 12:29:24 ip_ daemon.info process_monitor[2868]: process_monitor : cleanup timers
no additional references to openvpn, this repeats in log with any config updates, etc.

The Tab for Status / OpenVPN is there and empty:
[
State
Client: Local Address:
Remote Address:

Status
VPN Client Stats

Log
Clientlog:
]

Previously working Firmware for a few years: DD-WRT v3.0-r41892.
Full reset, and repeated recently.

Though I'd rather not update, it seems a next stable release for at least Netgear R7000s at least:
Firmware: v3.0-r47495 std (09/28/21)

IF config related, attached is greater config and log detail:
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/12-30-2021-r47942/netgear-r6700/

Sticky: OpenVPN guides and documentation

DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
doorStopped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks kernel-panic69, that release is a bit close to the bleeding edge for my conservative updating demeanor. The updates going in to OpenVPN config seem awesome from where it was. If I don't hear anything back on my current situation, I may have to jump in and hope it resolves my issue. Thanks again.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can always test 47925 or 47911:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/12-28-2021-r47925/netgear-r6700/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/12-23-2021-r47911/netgear-r6700/

OpenVPN functionality is in fairly constant development in general, so without further screenshots of configs and other applicable information such as your VPN provider, I have no other advice to offer.

----------------------
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you don't see anything related to OpenVPN in the syslog or on the status page, that usually means you made a major error, to the point it couldn't even start. And that error seems to be the following in Additional Config.

--help

Get rid of that! That stopped my own OpenVPN client immediately.

As the OpenVPN guide I'm sure states, most of the time you don't need anything in Additional Config anyway. Adding things there is more likely to cause problems (despite what the OpenVPN provider might suggest). Most everything the router needs is established by the GUI elements you configure, and its own preferred directives.

Case and point: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/7393

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
doorStopped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh my, you nailed it Eibgrad.

Not sure what support page suggested I add that "--help", assumed it would help/clarify issues and initially had no impact so just left it.

Dropping that now gets "Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS!"

I'm going to explore further & dropping
"persist-tun
persist-key" as you mentioned eibgrad, just sharing the instant result.

If all good, may try one of these later releases too, & report back, with the other added config features in the GUI mentioned in the openVPN guide you forwarded kernel-panic69.
Thanks!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I should've looked at the text file, but I am a visual person and there really wasn't anything in that file that was "secret" or that couldn't be redacted/masked in a screenshot. That wasn't difficult to spot, after the fact. Sorry I wasn't of any better help.

----------------------
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thread transferred to the Advanced Networking forum as this is of interest to us all.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

From the OpenVPN Client setup guide: Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
doorStopped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the support, it takes a community, gave me the confidence to update to the latest build and liking all the added configurability for vpn client-routing tables, etc.

No worries kernal-panic69. Seems my posting timidity made things more difficult to consume for you regulars by not using screen captures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: