5Ghz Wifi download speed has halved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 13:33    Post subject: 5Ghz Wifi download speed has halved Reply with quote
Any bright ideas on this please.

I got bored the other day and fiddled around with my R7000 which ended up in me having to reset it which I did via Telnet using nvram erase && reboot

I then set it back up as a repeater bridge using the same build (r47381) and everything works perfectly ok just as it did before with one exception i.e. the 4K firestick now runs at between 40/50Mbps whereas before it would merrily chug along at just over 100Mbps.

The laptop and iphone will both still do just over 100Mbps, which is what they did before I had a mess; it is just the firestick which has changed.

I have, for the sake of it, just tried r47581 and it makes no difference. The iphone and laptop are both still running at just over 100Mbps but the firestick won't budge from 40/50Mbps.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
some settings are now different... there are too many to know specifically. The first thing I would check is the wifi specifications ie b,g,n,ac... and then the channel width.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:20    Post subject: Re: 5Ghz Wifi download speed has halved Reply with quote
Mr R Design wrote:
Any bright ideas on this please.

I got bored the other day and fiddled around with my R7000 which ended up in me having to reset it which I did via Telnet using nvram erase && reboot

I then set it back up as a repeater bridge using the same build (r47381) and everything works perfectly ok just as it did before with one exception i.e. the 4K firestick now runs at between 40/50Mbps whereas before it would merrily chug along at just over 100Mbps.

The laptop and iphone will both still do just over 100Mbps, which is what they did before I had a mess; it is just the firestick which has changed.

I have, for the sake of it, just tried r47581 and it makes no difference. The iphone and laptop are both still running at just over 100Mbps but the firestick won't budge from 40/50Mbps.
how do you get those numbers?
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any of the 'speedtest' websites give me the same results i.e. just over 100Mbps for the laptop and iPhone (which is the same as before the reset) but 40/50Mbps for the 4K Firestick.

If all 3 of them had dropped since I did the reset it would probably be easier to suss out what has happened. I know it is not my settings as I have even reloaded a config backup to r47381 which I had taken about a week before the reset.

I have been running the r7000 for around 18 months and the Firestick has persistently been just over 100Mbps. During the 18 months I have updated builds, gone back to previous builds, reset to defaults and not reset to defaults and never had the issue.

The only thing I have done different this time, which I have never ever done before is 'nvram erase && reboot' and other than overclocking to 1200 I have never ever manually done anything else nvram related.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is Status->Wireless saying?
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
What is Status->Wireless saying?

Jpg below (it makes no difference whether all 3 clients are connected or just the Firestick)

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.82 KB
 Viewed:  2720 Time(s)

2.jpg

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try a lower channel. I'm running my firestick on channel 36 and all is well. I tried running the higher channels but I had connectivity issues with the stick. I'm guessing its something in the firestick firmware that is causing this on the higher channels.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found fs like lower channels
Although you are not getting full speed and i understand that, but what can you stream on a firestick that needs more that 50mbps? 4k 25-50mbps is more than ample.
do you have a vpn running on firestick? (just a thought)
what does the firestick show as signal strength 5ghz good or very good?
check you don't have any overlapping channels near by or fighting with main router or close neighbour (depending on your setup)
what speed checker are you using the one from amazon?
Try visiting speedtest.net with silk browser and run test.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr R Design wrote:
Any of the 'speedtest' websites give me the same results i.e. just over 100Mbps for the laptop and iPhone (which is the same as before the reset) but 40/50Mbps for the 4K Firestick.

If all 3 of them had dropped since I did the reset it would probably be easier to suss out what has happened. I know it is not my settings as I have even reloaded a config backup to r47381 which I had taken about a week before the reset.

I have been running the r7000 for around 18 months and the Firestick has persistently been just over 100Mbps. During the 18 months I have updated builds, gone back to previous builds, reset to defaults and not reset to defaults and never had the issue.

The only thing I have done different this time, which I have never ever done before is 'nvram erase && reboot' and other than overclocking to 1200 I have never ever manually done anything else nvram related.
is there any chance that your firestick received some auto update for system or browser app?
have you tried speedtest after reducing the distance between router & firestick, just in case the connected network was not AC but N?
is there any chance that your firestick is running hot that its CPU is throttled, affecting speed test?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have given up and conceded defeat. It is definitely nothing to do with DDWRT (I think!!!!) as I have just swapped the R7000 repeater bridge with the R7000 which was the AP connected to the modem.

It may well be to do with Firestick updates but I can’t prove it as Amazon only seem to publish the dates for big/major updates and you can’t rollback to previous ‘builds’ to check things (you may be able with jailbreaking but can’t be arsed).

The latest incremental update (for which dates are not published, NS56281/4061) from what I can glean off forums elsewhere seems to have been around mid-October which fits with when the problem kicked off. 4061 is the increment number with 4054 being the prior.

I know the download speeds I am getting now are more than adequate however it just brasses me off that for the last 18 months it has always topped 100Mbps.

Thanks for all the suggestions and yep, tried them all plus others over the last week or so. Consider the matter closed and I shall live in hope that a future Amazon update will resolve things and give me back the speed I don’t need.

Razz
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well............... the Firestick is now consistently back up to over 100Mbps, I know how but haven't a clue as to why.

I collared an immaculate R7800 cheap so set it up as the AP connected to the modem and bang without changing anything else it changed from 45/50Mbps to 100/110Mbps which is how it was before.

Any ideas as to why this would be as I would be intrigued to know?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Without before and after settings ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but R7800 is a vastly superior router when compared to R7000.
dglenn999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 21:22    Post subject: Speed test results Reply with quote
Mr R Design wrote:

If you look closely at the speedtest, if you have any Ethernet LAN connections on the router it will test those only and not any Wireless device connected. Just a caveat.

Grumpy old nerd
=====================
counter.li.org
Registrant #: 21252
Sometime on or around Mid Summer 1995 issued by the original Linux counter.

Picked up as a curiosity to learn the *NIX basics, it has never failed to provide challenges and growth. OMG the growth the tiny homegrown *NIX has had from the start to the current state. Thank you Linus for your curiosity and skills to build the base we live on now.
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies but still don't understand it.

All I have done is swop the R7000 which was connected to the modem with the R7800. The Firestick is still (like it has always been) connected to an R7000 set-up as a repeater bridge.

All the 'Speed tests' are run directly on and via the Firestick.

No settings were changed on either the R7000 repeater bridge or Firestick, I literally unplugged the R7000 AP, plugged the R7800 in and boom!!!!

(I never even needed to log into the R7000 RB as I had amended the SSID's etc on the R7800)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: