NAS Automount vs UUID and other NAS learning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
BrickdAgain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:35    Post subject: NAS Automount vs UUID and other NAS learning Reply with quote
Super excited. Lurking for sometime but picked up a Netgear R7800 and started tweaking. Now on r47900. Have my VPN setup inside Wireguard service. Suffering very little speed loss. Love it. Set up an AP isolated guest virtual access point.

Now I am working on setting up a few external drives as a NAS. Got my movie&music drive all setup. I can read/write to the drive from my linux laptops and android phones/tablets.

But fiddling around with a few other things and have developed some (poorly formed) questions:
1. Is there a right way and a wrong way to unmount or disconnect a drive?
2. Is there a max partition size it recognizes? I am trying to read my 2TB partition on my 4TB backup drive and can't seem to get it to go. Services/USB/Disk Info shows
Code:
- /dev/sda2
Block device, size 2.237 TiB (2459632140288 bytes)
Windows BOOTMGR boot loader
NTFS file system
UUID 66926EE3926EB6E9
Volume size 2.237 TiB (2459632136192 bytes, 4803969016 sectors)
/dev/sda2 mounted to /tmp/mnt/sda2

But when I try to add a new share /mnt/sda2 is not a drop down option.
3. I have a bunch of drives that I occasionally would like to have on the network - can I create some sort of fstab file and declare mount points by UUID of the drive partitions?
4. I have been randomly plugging/unplugging usb drives as I fiddle and learn. Is there a cache or location I should clear that I might have filled up with tmp mount identifiers?
5. Is there a drive spin-down timer or anything to save wear?
6. I found some posts talking about Services\Nas\Samba\Access Level - Everyone vs Restricted. My gut tells me I want to chose Restricted. But ES File Manager doesn't seem to work with Restricted. Linux works fine. Windows is not used much here so - don't care a lot but happy to learn. But basically - is setting it to Everyone bad security? Seems that I can "See" the share folders. But in order to open the folder I need to provide the user credentials I added in Services\Nas\File Sharing\Users. Plus you'd have to be inside my wifi... OR - am I missing something.

Thanks in advance.
[/code]
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: