Stable Build for Asus RT-AC88U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
NightshadeinSF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:29    Post subject: Stable Build for Asus RT-AC88U Reply with quote
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the most recent stable DD-WRT Build is for the Asus RT-AC88U. I've tried about 8 different builds from the last year and they all flashed fine and then I could log into the GUI. I set my username and password for the GUI and then after that I had problems where the router would crash sooner or later within the first 5 or 10 minutes whether I tried to configure it or just let it sit there idle. It would either reboot randomly OR it would seem to lock up and stop serving the management webpages and stop responding to pings but would be fine on reboot for a little while till it happened again.

I tried to post this on the RT-AC88U page but it told me that page was locked and I could not add a new post or reply to existing posts...

Thanks,
Nightshade
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you flashing the vanilla images or the experimental driver firmware images? Which specific builds have you tested? What configuration changes are you making? What specific steps are required to reproduce this issue? Are you doing this with a standalone browser with no extensions loaded, in private browsing mode?

Current release: https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/12-16-2021-r47853/asus-rt-ac88u/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mj666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm actualy on 47822. I have two RT-AC88U and tested quite some versions in the past. Most run without major problems. One is configured as a gateway (DHCP, DYDNS, Port forwarding, etc.) and the second as an access point. You should be sure to stay below 64k with NVRAM configuration. There are some issues if you go higher (missing WLAN interfaces, general instability). This was mainly managed with removing historical WAN statistic information (had last few years online). I have still some random reboots at the AP with some of the last firmware images. The gateway router is quite stable after finding the NVRAM problem. I'm quite sure thre is now hardware issue. I bought the second one when I had problems and getting aware of the 64k NVRAM issue. At that point I had the same problems with both routers but the AP was always working more stable.

BTW: I'm actually using the standard image but also tested the experimental in the past with very similar results.

Asus AC-RT66U (AP, dd-wrt-52459-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx)
Linksys E3000 (AP, dd-wrt.v24-52459_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e3000.bin)
Linksys E4200 V2 (openwrt-18.06.5-kirkwood-linksys_viper-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin) not used at the moment
mj666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
mj666 wrote:
I'm actualy on 47822. I have two RT-AC88U and tested quite some versions in the past. Most run without major problems. One is configured as a gateway (DHCP, DYDNS, Port forwarding, etc.) and the second as an access point. You should be sure to stay below 64k with NVRAM configuration. There are some issues if you go higher (missing WLAN interfaces, general instability). This was mainly managed with removing historical WAN statistic information (had last few years online). I have still some random reboots at the AP with some of the last firmware images. The gateway router is quite stable after finding the NVRAM problem. I'm quite sure there is no hardware issue. I bought the second one when I had problems and getting aware of the 64k NVRAM issue. At that point I had the same problems with both routers but the AP was always working more stable.

BTW: I'm actually using the standard image but also tested the experimental in the past with very similar results.

Asus AC-RT66U (AP, dd-wrt-52459-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx)
Linksys E3000 (AP, dd-wrt.v24-52459_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e3000.bin)
Linksys E4200 V2 (openwrt-18.06.5-kirkwood-linksys_viper-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin) not used at the moment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: